Where does 2013-14 Notre Dame rank on list of "All Time Great Teams" | The Boneyard

Where does 2013-14 Notre Dame rank on list of "All Time Great Teams"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Notre Dame didn't seal the deal with an undefeated season, but they went a fantastic 37-1 against a top notch schedule, had just one close call the entire season and had to play their last 2 games without their leader and All-American center, Natalie Achonwa. I don't believe Achonwa would have made up the 21 point difference, but I think with Achonwa, UCONN doesn't have a field day in the paint and Notre Dame has improved ball movement, making them more difficult to defend. Basically, Notre Dame was much much better than they showed in the title game so I wouldn't hold the 21 point loss against them when comparing their season to other great teams.

If you matched up Notre Dame with other undefeated teams, I think this is how Notre Dame would fare:
1986 Texas-Notre Dame wins
1995 UCONN-Notre Dame wins
1998 Tennessee-Tennessee wins
2002 UCONN-UCONN wins
2009 UCONN-Notre Dame wins
2010 UCONN-UCONN wins
2012 Baylor-Baylor wins
2014 UCONN-UCONN wins

I'm sure my opinion that they'd beat 2009 UCONN and 1995 UCONN will not be popular on this board, but I think Notre Dame matches up favorably to 2009 UCONN, and has a significant advantage on the wing against 1995 UCONN. Where do you guys think Notre Dame compares to teams with undefeated seasons?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The women's game is drawing more talent now than perhaps they did in the late 80's and mid-90's so perhaps Notre Dame has a shot against the undefeated teams in those years. No one really even made UConn sweat in 2009 and they would have had the two best players on the court, so I don't think much of your opinion there.

As for where Notre Dame would stand all-time, I think they'll fall out of the conversation pretty quickly. Given the undefeated and one-loss champions over the years, even with just one loss, a team without a title isn't going to carry much weight. Wonderful team, but that's the way it works.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm sure you Tennessee fans enjoy UConn fans go a little nuts over ND topics but was it really necessary to start another thread? I can't think of any reason except to stir the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom