When is "Lurker Day"?.... | The Boneyard

When is "Lurker Day"?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I have seen a couple of new people posting and just was wondering when Lurker Day was..........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lurkers aren't OT. They are creepy, but not OT.
Now, now, let's be nice to the new people.

I need a half a day off from work to do a Lurker Day unless JS and/or Biff will be around. For those who don't know, the Boneyard traditionally sets aside a block of time, usually about 4-6 hours, where only posters who have 75 posts or LESS can post. That way, they won't get lost in the shuffle, so to speak, and will have a chance to post without anyone correcting, interrupting, or otherwise intimidating the new guys. Although I do have to say, there hasn't been so much of that lately, for which I thank you all. But, anywho, Lurker Day is a great time for all and many of our current frequent posters got their start on Lurker Day.

By the way, Lurker is by no means an insult or slight. It's simply Internet slang for someone who usually reads rather than posts. I know "lurk" conjures up images of peeping Toms and the like but that isn't what it means on the Internet. So please don't take offense if we call new posters (aka newbies) or infrequent posters Lurkers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I get a day just for me?!?! :rolleyes::p:):eek:

oscar-nominees-2014-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aw Shucks! You guys are so nice. I like to lurk. Otherwise it could be one of those nights when I wished someone took away my keyboard.
What I hear most often from folks who don't post, or who don't post much, is that they feel they aren't as knowledgeable as other posters and they don't want to embarrass themselves. While we do have many knowledgeable and savvy posters, not everyone is an expert. Every single person who's posted has been wrong some time or another and everyone has embarrassed themselves at least once, too. But unless someone is a jerk, most posters won't remind folks of their past missteps - or even remember them, I would guess.

Lurker Day is also a good time for questions that, maybe, someone's hesitated to ask because they didn't want to appear foolish. But everyone, even our most savvy posters, had to learn sometime. So go ahead, ask what the difference is between a small forward and a power forward or what the heck a triangle and two is or how a motion offense works. No one will mock anyone; most here would love to explain. And, FWIW, posters don't need a Lurker Day to ask questions. The off-season is a great time for things like that.

Reaction Score
Now, now, let's be nice to the new people.

I need a half a day off from work to do a Lurker Day unless JS and/or Biff will be around. For those who don't know, the Boneyard traditionally sets aside a block of time, usually about 4-6 hours, where only posters who have 75 posts or LESS can post. That way, they won't get lost in the shuffle, so to speak, and will have a chance to post without anyone correcting, interrupting, or otherwise intimidating the new guys. Although I do have to say, there hasn't been so much of that lately, for which I thank you all. But, anywho, Lurker Day is a great time for all and many of our current frequent posters got their start on Lurker Day.

By the way, Lurker is by no means an insult or slight. It's simply Internet slang for someone who usually reads rather than posts. I know "lurk" conjures up images of peeping Toms and the like but that isn't what it means on the Internet. So please don't take offense if we call new posters (aka newbies) or infrequent posters Lurkers.
So the actual answer is that EVERY DAY is Lurker Day---As most others who write here I am sure we all LURKEd for weeks if not years prior to posting.Personally, I don't see that as an insult--just a fact.
Now if you told me my miss spelling was miss spelled I may take offense at that--because I"M perfect.\
It's just one of those Damn Yankee traits I learned up north where I was brung up

Reaction Score
So the actual answer is that EVERY DAY is Lurker Day---As most others who write here I am sure we all LURKEd for weeks if not years prior to posting.Personally, I don't see that as an insult--just a fact.
Now if you told me my miss spelling was miss spelled I may take offense at that--because I"M perfect.\
It's just one of those Damn Yankee traits I learned up north where I was brung up
What I hear most often from folks who don't post, or who don't post much, is that they feel they aren't as knowledgeable as other posters and they don't want to embarrass themselves. While we do have many knowledgeable and savvy posters, not everyone is an expert. Every single person who's posted has been wrong some time or another and everyone has embarrassed themselves at least once, too. But unless someone is a jerk, most posters won't remind folks of their past missteps - or even remember them, I would guess.

Lurker Day is also a good time for questions that, maybe, someone's hesitated to ask because they didn't want to appear foolish. But everyone, even our most savvy posters, had to learn sometime. So go ahead, ask what the difference is between a small forward and a power forward or what the heck a triangle and two is or how a motion offense works. No one will mock anyone; most here would love to explain. And, FWIW, posters don't need a Lurker Day to ask questions. The off-season is a great time for things like that.
\

So tell me why only a triangle and two why not 3? Or a cube and one in place of a box, isn't a box a cube. How about a parabola and 2? Or a tetrahedron and 6?
Or why not a power guard or why is one guard pointing, if she is who is she point at or is it to whom is she pointing. Does a power forward have to lift heavier weights? Does a Wing actually fly or do they just develop wings like an angel, Bing---another set of wings.
Or is it a criminal offense to have a shooting guard. Is that like riding shotgun on an old stage coach? Who does the Associate coach associate with? Does the assistant coaches bring the donuts?

Reaction Score
\

So tell me why only a triangle and two why not 3? Or a cube and one in place of a box, isn't a box a cube. How about a parabola and 2? Or a tetrahedron and 6?
Or why not a power guard or why is one guard pointing, if she is who is she point at or is it to whom is she pointing. Does a power forward have to lift heavier weights? Does a Wing actually fly or do they just develop wings like an angel, Bing---another set of wings.
Or is it a criminal offense to have a shooting guard. Is that like riding shotgun on an old stage coach? Who does the Associate coach associate with? Does the assistant coaches bring the donuts?
I'm new here too --but I have to say that was the funniest post I have read so far. Of course, I do believe that silliness is next to Godliness.

Reaction Score
I'm new here too --but I have to say that was the funniest post I have read so far. Of course, I do believe that silliness is next to Godliness.
Come on now I was serious!! Why do some guards point??

Reaction Score
Over the years I have enjoyed following women's college basketball. I was attracted to Connecticut's team because they are fun to watch and bring a lot of enthusiasm to the game. I increased my interest in following Connecticut when Kiah Stokes became a Huskie from Iowa. Those of you who have been fans forever ...were there other players from Iowa who were Huskies? Thanks for all who share about women's basketball especially about the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I also have enjoyed WCBB, and began following UCONN in the early 1990's. Wendy Davis was recruited in 1989 and became a proficient 3pt shooter. I think, I can remember a story in the media about Wendy taking a summer job after high school graduation for a utility company in the field, so as to increase her fitness and strength so she would be ready to shoot those threes.
Also, I was interested in Dee Kantner's officiating career. Both Wendy and Dee came from the county where I reside in southeast PA.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
\

And how does one play in the post? Shouldn't it be around the post?

And how do you post up down low? Sounds hard.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Even though I have over 200 posts,I consider myself as a semi-lurker,because I do not like to have an opinion on every subject that is posted.I leave that to those much wiser than I.However,if there is a strong feeling in my mind on a subject,that I need to support or add to a post,I do occasionally straighten my old fingers,adjust my dimming eyes,and type a response.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Over the years I have enjoyed following women's college basketball. I was attracted to Connecticut's team because they are fun to watch and bring a lot of enthusiasm to the game. I increased my interest in following Connecticut when Kiah Stokes became a Huskie from Iowa. Those of you who have been fans forever ...were there other players from Iowa who were Huskies? Thanks for all who share about women's basketball especially about the Huskies.
Not since '95. Not sure before that, but the recruiting wasn't that national back then either, so probably not.

Reaction Score
Really?!? Had to go there? :rolleyes::p
Not since '95. Not sure before that, but the recruiting wasn't that national back then either, so probably not.
I appreciate you sharing that from your knowledge probably no other Iowan has played for Connecticut. It does make sense that recruiting was more regional up until the last 20 years or so.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Come on now I was serious!! Why do some guards point??
I'm stuck on a more basic piece. I still can't figure out how women's bb teams are on the court and playing man to man!

Reaction Score
I am a lurker. I come to this site for information about UCONN women basketball. Wonderful job posters! Thank you! Why do I not post? My posts were either ignored or picked on. This is a good old boys club. Fine with me- now you are ranking on lurkers. Life is too short- enjoy Uconn basketball!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am a lurker. I come to this site for information about UCONN women basketball. Wonderful job posters! Thank you! Why do I not post? My posts were either ignored or picked on.
I thought this was your first post? The post count under your handle stands at 1.
This is a good old boys club. Fine with me- now you are ranking on lurkers. Life is too short- enjoy Uconn basketball!
Some of us have been on the board for years, in some cases, decades. We know each other and feel comfortable addressing each other. It might seem like an "old boys club" but it's really just a bunch of people that are used to spending a lot of time together. We just don't know you yet and the best way for us to learn more about each other is for you to post more. I hope you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom