When is First Night This Year? | The Boneyard

When is First Night This Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anybody know if they are doing the same as last year with the men and women competing against each other?

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I dont know the answer to your question. I would like a thread though at some point that gives us dates of certain events that UCONN has. I still havent been to an open practice so things like that would be nice to have posted when it comes out, as well as the husky run etc.

Reaction Score
Does anybody know if they are doing the same as last year with the men and women competing against each other?

let me take this moment to welcome you to the board. Welcome!

Now to answer your question...... We'll know in 20 minutes. :)

Reaction Score
I hope Stewie is on team Kevin and he lets her dunk in warmups. Same for williams.

Reaction Score
When you get a certain age you tend not to want to rush things (i.e. months out), enjoying the moment of sorts. You youngsters go ahead though.

Just sayin...

Reaction Score
let me take this moment to welcome you to the board. Welcome!

Now to answer your question. We'll know in 20 minutes. :)

Thanks! I've read posts for years but never signed up until today.

Reaction Score
When you get a certain age you tend not to want to rush things (i.e. months out), enjoying the moment of sorts. You youngsters go ahead though.

Just sayin...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...84230/earlier-practice-date-approved-for-fall
According to this article above, we are about 6 WEEKS until that time... not MONTHS... Just wanted to know if there were some concrete plans for the night already... I might not waste time there if its the same dog and pony show as last year.

Reaction Score
Liked the scrimmage last year, but they should get rid of the trivia portion and bring back the dunk contest.
That trivia portion was so god awful. Couldn't believe it went on as long as it did...

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Would like for UCONN to do separate events for each team.

Probably not happening but would love to see the men's team go back to a true Midnight Madness.

Intros at Midnight , dunk contest and a scrimmage.

Let the women's team have their event @ 7:00 pm that way their fanbase of young kids and retirees can get some sleep :)

Reaction Score
The first day the Huskies are allowed to have “full” practices is Oct. 3, though they may not start quite that early. The NCAA allows teams 30 practices over the 42 days prior to their opener.

First Night is slated for Oct. 17, though it’s not really the start of practice anymore.

Reaction Score
That trivia portion was so god awful. Couldn't believe it went on as long as it did...
I wasn't there, was it like on Gameday when they quiz players about each other? Because that could be hilariois if done right.

Reaction Score
First Night you just show up right? No ticket needed?

Reaction Score
I wasn't there, was it like on Gameday when they quiz players about each other? Because that could be hilariois if done right.
I don't really remember- I think one portion was drawings from local school children of cartoon characters and super heroes and they had the players guess them. The trivia portion pretty much sucked all the excitement out of the room after the intros and the intro videos. It got to the point where the emcees, Donny Marshall and a lady (forget her name), ended the trivia about half way through asking the crowd if they were ready for the scrimmage.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I have never attended first night and I have been a season ticket holder for 25 years. Not knocking it - probably a lot of fun for the kids - it's just not what I would enjoy.

Reaction Score
It was more fun when it was just the guys and the ladies had their separate gig…….it's fairly ridiculous now. The first year they did the dunk contest I had to watch Tina Charles and Maya Moore attempt "dunks :eek:" and it was painful….then the skills contest and now the trivia? It's a joke quite honestly especially when they scrimmage where you see they don't belong on the court together and the guys need to tame it down in order to make it look okay.

I get the camaraderie and the Dual Championship stuff (College Basketball Capital of the World) but they had a parade and it's over - now it's show time. I want to see Calhoun guarding Hamilton, Lubin guarding Facey or Nolan, Sam Jr making fadeaways etc etc…………..

C

Chief00

The players seem to enjoy it (or pretend that they do) and the casual fan. I would rather watch a Men's exhibition game against a D3 team or historically against the Beltway Ballers.

Reaction Score
It was more fun when it was just the guys and the ladies had their separate gig…….it's fairly ridiculous now. The first year they did the dunk contest I had to watch Tina Charles and Maya Moore attempt "dunks :eek:" and it was painful….then the skills contest and now the trivia? It's a joke quite honestly especially when they scrimmage where you see they don't belong on the court together and the guys need to tame it down in order to make it look okay.

I get the camaraderie and the Dual Championship stuff (College Basketball Capital of the World) but they had a parade and it's over - now it's show time. I want to see Calhoun guarding Hamilton, Lubin guarding Facey or Nolan, Sam Jr making fadeaways etc etc…………..
LOL but those activities did produce two Championships last year ( I know I'm stretching it). Therefore I highly doubt they make any changes, at least this year.

So Mau at least your suffering wasn't in vain.

Reaction Score

Agree 1000%

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have ZERO interest in watching the women's team do just about anything let alone spoil "Midnight Madness"

Don't get why UCONN can't have separate events on the same night.

Start at 7 pm for the women's team for their faithful.

And then for the Main Event roll out the Men's team at 12AM like it used to be for a scrimmage and dunk contest.

UConn should stop trying to force feed everybody the 2 teams as a package deal.

Not everyone cares about the women's team (or visa versa).

C

Chief00

The truth is that's why they took a bath on merchandise after the F4 - too much combo stuff - no appeal to most fans who are either women or men's fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom