What's up with the scoreboard? | The Boneyard

What's up with the scoreboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • The big board had no stats and just a game score and time that was too small for us to read at the other end of the field.
  • In section 219, we also couldn't see the scoreboard over the student section without really having to work at it. If you were sitting upper deck down that end of the field, you pretty much had nada except the game clock in the ribbon board.
  • And there was no game clock where it used to be next to the big board. Isn't that even illegal? I would've thought each end of the field would have to have a game clock visible to whatever team is heading in that direction.
If what they did was intentional, I'm calling shenanigans. Actually, I'm calling Rent mgmt. and the Athletic Dept. to complain.

Anybody else have an issue with this?

Reaction Score
Yep, on the far side from the student section. When the big board goes ads...you can't see anything...

Reaction Score
They are attempting to mock the video board over center court at the XL Center.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
  • The big board had no stats and just a game score and time that was too small for us to read at the other end of the field.
  • In section 219, we also couldn't see the scoreboard over the student section without really having to work at it. If you were sitting upper deck down that end of the field, you pretty much had nada except the game clock in the ribbon board.
  • And there was no game clock where it used to be next to the big board. Isn't that even illegal? I would've thought each end of the field would have to have a game clock visible to whatever team is heading in that direction.
If what they did was intentional, I'm calling shenanigans. Actually, I'm calling Rent mgmt. and the Athletic Dept. to complain.

Anybody else have an issue with this?
Hey I'm in 219 this year too! High five...

Reaction Score
I agree the scoreboard text was a bit small to read, and I was sitting pretty close. Also the ribbon boards parallel to the sidelines showed ads the whole game if I recall correctly. Last year the ribbon boards on the sides would show down and distance as well as ads.

Reaction Score
Yeah.

I missed seeing offensive stats (rush/pass) for each team as the game progressed as well as "ball on", "yds to go", "snap time" etc.

Or it could be they were there and my "old buzzard" eyes are not that good any more.

Agree with missing game info on ribbon boards also

Reaction Score
Gotta agree here. Was frustrating sitting in the stands and the only legible scoreboard was above the student section, and even that was tough to see depending where your seats are.

They invested how much money(?) in a widescreen jumbotron and ribbon scoreboards, yet they scarcely used them for game score & stats. I get the need to show advertisements (and all those vital dance-cams), but how about utilizing this new technology to keep people more easily updated on the game situation? Score, game clock, quarter, possession, time outs, etc. Basic stuff.

Even the occasional out of town score updates had one score: Football Florida International 15, UCF 14.

Bush league. Whoever's in charge of that needs to get on the ball.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree. I am in 139 on the scoreboard side and I had a hard time reading the clock, down and distance, and even score. Not to mention, the first 2 minutes of the 4th Q were still in the 3rd Q, according to the tiny font videoboard. The statboard above the student section just looks like a word find puzzle to me. Would love for one of the boards to just simply display score/down-distance/clock/TOs remaining in big, clear display, and never get replaced by ads or fan cheerleading.

Reaction Score
There were positives. A lot less advertisement and less music. I prefer a more pure simple look. Now if they could get rid of the on field fan games and all the on field presentations. I'm there to watch football not a carnival.

Reaction Score
There were positives. A lot less advertisement and less music. I prefer a more pure simple look. Now if they could get rid of the on field fan games and all the on field presentations. I'm there to watch football not a carnival.

I was unfortunately unable to make the game but I watched it on SNY and they literally mentioned Pratt and Whitney every 5 minutes. Not say they correlate but it could be the reason for the reduced ads in game at the stadium

Reaction Score
So the scoreboard. There's like a zillion CSE students who are super talented programmers. Did you see the fancy way they had the out of town scoreboard?!? I know it's not picking lol but REALLY you could friggin copy and paste some code off of literally anywhere and make it look better. Student employees get like 10 dollars an hour. Seriously hire one to do some super cool stuff with the scoreboard. Awesome experience for them for a very very small fee.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not to get all geeky but the actual game video, in its natural aspect ratio, would be "taller" than the video board, and they squish it a bit to fit. The players look a little stumpy. I think a better option would be to leave the video proportions how they should be, shrink the video down a bit to take up less than the full scoreboard, and use the resulting free space on the sides and/or bottom for scores and stats and such. A trade off, but I think it would be worth it.

Reaction Score
Was very frustrating and infuriating glancing over at the videoboard throughout the game from 226 and seeing no score or game stats at all. Then turning to the student section and trying to figure out the word puzzle of a scoreboard that is located there was a test of my patience and general good nature. Correct this problem before the Army game or prepare for a war from loyal season ticketholders.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Agree. I am in 139 on the scoreboard side and I had a hard time reading the clock, down and distance, and even score. Not to mention, the first 2 minutes of the 4th Q were still in the 3rd Q, according to the tiny font videoboard. The statboard above the student section just looks like a word find puzzle to me. Would love for one of the boards to just simply display score/down-distance/clock/TOs remaining in big, clear display, and never get replaced by ads or fan cheerleading.
We were in 139 2nd row and tyring to see game data and keep an eye on the field was really irritating.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We were in 139 2nd row and tyring to see game data and keep an eye on the field was really irritating.

I hope you or your wife weren't one of the folks that tripped on the top step of the section stairs! My brother and I sit in the last row aisle seats and counted about 10 different people who got tripped up by the final step.

Reaction Score
Was very frustrating and infuriating glancing over at the videoboard throughout the game from 226 and seeing no score or game stats at all. Then turning to the student section and trying to figure out the word puzzle of a scoreboard that is located there was a test of my patience and general good nature. Correct this problem before the Army game or prepare for a war from loyal season ticketholders.

i was also in 226....and just as frustrated.

I'm curious of this war you speak.... When you walk in next week and its exactly the same

Reaction Score
Not to get all geeky but the actual game video, in its natural aspect ratio, would be "taller" than the video board, and they squish it a bit to fit. The players look a little stumpy. I think a better option would be to leave the video proportions how they should be, shrink the video down a bit to take up less than the full scoreboard, and use the resulting free space on the sides and/or bottom for scores and stats and such. A trade off, but I think it would be worth it.

They did that the past 2 years with the new jumbotron. Not sure why they got rid of it.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
...also the 'Nova kicker constantly doing practice kicks practically in my face was sooooooo annoying. There oughta be a rule...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They did that the past 2 years with the new jumbotron. Not sure why they got rid of it.
Lol I got the distinct feeling that I wasn't suggesting something new... Thanks for reminding me :)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
tense50 said:

WARRRRR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger