What's the deal with Oklahoma WBB? | The Boneyard

What's the deal with Oklahoma WBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I may have missed the exception here and there, but it seems that every time I look at the Top 25, Oklahoma is somewhere around 15. Is Sherri Coale ever going to achieve the heights she seemed destined for 10 years ago?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I may have missed the exception here and there, but it seems that every time I look at the Top 25, Oklahoma is somewhere around 15. Is Sherri Coale ever going to achieve the heights she seemed destined for 10 years ago?
Seems to have a hard time landing top ten recruits since the Paris sisters - good but not outstanding recruits - wonder if Norman is a harder sale than Storrs, at least Storrs has NYC, Boston, and ESPN within a few hours.

Reaction Score
Top recruits look at who played there before and where they are playing now.........Most OK players are no better when they leave than when they arrived......How many OK players are playing in Europe or the WNBA?.........That is your answer...........Sherri needs to revamp her coaching style and bring in some better coaches like Shea to help develop some attitude.........They are a top 25 team every year by default...........Big 12 is down, Big 10 is flat or down, the PAC 12 is suspect at best outside Stanford.....ACC is what it is, but ND will add some spark and soon take over that conference. Duke, UNC and MD are playing for 2nd place..........If UCONN joins them in 2015, they will be playing for 3rd........Sorry!!!

Reaction Score
Top recruits look at who played there before and where they are playing now.........Most OK players are no better when they leave than when they arrived......How many OK players are playing in Europe or the WNBA?.........That is your answer .... Sherri needs to revamp her coaching style and bring in some better coaches like Shea to help develop some attitude ...

Is that it? Attitude? Seems to me there are plenty of teams with attitude that aren't doing much better, if not worse, than Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Two years in a row I saw Coale outcoached in tight games by Jim Foster. When that happened the second time, I realized she's just not a very good game coach. If Jim Foster has your number on the Xs and Os, you've got a problem.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Two years in a row I saw Coale outcoached in tight games by Jim Foster. When that happened the second time, I realized she's just not a very good game coach. If Jim Foster has your number on the Xs and Os, you've got a problem.
First, in general, posters in this thread seem to be comparing OK and Coale to UConn and Geno. Instead, how about comparing her to her peers. She's had top 20 success virtually year in and out - sometimes better and rarely worse. In the real world, she's done fine. And Jim Foster - has outcoached a lot of folks. He had his weaknesses, but I want to point out that both Coale and Foster have been head coaches for USA Basketball teams with great success.

As to what has primarily kept her from doing better - well, injuries, for sure; good, not spectacular recruiting; tough competition in the Big 12 (in general), etc.

When I can count on 2 hands the number of active coaches that "might" be considered more successful, I tend not to complain much.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what I'm getting bashed for here, in that I responded to the original question and not your subsequent revision. Be that as it may, I did exactly what you suggested, compared her to a peer in Foster, and found her coming up short. So what's the problem?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sherrie needs to get new assistant coaches that can recruit nationally and especially in Texas. Like CT, Oklahoma doesn't produce many elite Div 1 prospects so she has to be able recruit nationally. She's hasn't had the success that Geno or for that matter Kim Mulkey has had to get recruits by name recognition. For current High School players 2009/10 basketball season is a long time ago and many don't realize that Oklahoma was at the Final Four.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what I'm getting bashed for here, in that I responded to the original question and not your subsequent revision. Be that as it may, I did exactly what you suggested, compared her to a peer in Foster, and found her coming up short. So what's the problem?
I probably shouldn't have "replied" specifically to your post. But I didn't agree with your premise that Foster is a bad X and O coach - or that X's and O's define Coale's issues. More generally, while I agree one could (always) hope for more, I'm not truly of the opinion that she hasn't been successful, or needs to be more successful to define herself as a top coach. Or would be considered that way by most fans of most programs.

Reaction Score
AS long as the Admin at OK is satisfied with the same poor results in the post season and against true Top 10 teams, why would they change........Look at the attendance from the end of the Parris sisters to today.........Steep decline...........Look at their non conference schedule.........UCONN got caught up in those type games , as well. Now, Geno wants a heavy dose of Top 10 teams in Nov and Dec until UCONN leaves the AAC.......Take a look at the attendance of every team that UCONN plays the game before UCONN comes to town and what $$$ UCONN brings to the gate.....There is only 1 Circus and it belongs to UCONN..........Take a look at DUKe's last home games and see what they draw on Tuesday.
Duke is trying to better their schedule..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom