What's Happening With Cathy Inglese? | The Boneyard

What's Happening With Cathy Inglese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can't help but feel sorry for her. She was riding high in the BE with BC. All kinds of accomplishments to her credit. Even in her last 3 BE games against Uconn, she was 2-1 with a 2004 BE Tournament win. She did OK in the ACC, going 21-12, 13-16 and 21-12. After her last ACC Season(2007-2008), She QUIT. Don't know why? In 2009-10, she became the coach at Rhode Island. Her record--(2009-10) 9-20, (2010-11) 7-21, and currently is 1-23 with a 21 game losing streak. Can she bounce back or is Rhode Island the Dead End to her career?

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
You can't help but feel sorry for her. She was riding high in the BE with BC. All kinds of accomplishments to her credit. Even in her last 3 BE games against Uconn, she was 2-1 with a 2004 BE Tournament win. She did OK in the ACC, going 21-12, 13-16 and 21-12. After her last ACC Season(2007-2008), She QUIT. Don't know why? In 2009-10, she became the coach at Rhode Island. Her record--(2009-10) 9-20, (2010-11) 7-21, and currently is 1-23 with a 21 game losing streak. Can she bounce back or is Rhode Island the Dead End to her career?

Mike, I personally feel that noone, not even Geno can succeed with a women's team at the national level in the state of Rhode Island. Look at history. The only anomaly is PCBB in the late 80's and early 90's and I believe that was tolerated due to being coached by the sainted name of Joe Mullaney Jr. The PCW hockey team had a mild touch of success during the same period riding on the back of one great player who decided to stay home. Other than that, nada, zip, nothing. The same with URI. Why? I live near RI and have many friends in that state and still have difficulty coming up with an acceptable answer. Maybe it's something in the water. It is as though it is "a man's state and women should stay home in Craaanston in their beehive hairdos and cook supper instead of playing men's games." That is the feeling I sense ... and yet I don't know anyone who would actually admit to feeling that way. Nobody just seems to give a damn. I give up. You can pick it up from there. My question is why did CI accept the URI job? She must have known she would have a major problem trying to turn things around.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After her last ACC Season(2007-2008), She QUIT. Don't know why?
She didn't quit, she was forced out by the BC atletic director who also forced out the football coach so he could have his own choices in those positions.

Reaction Score
Mike, I personally feel that noone, not even Geno can succeed with a women's team at the national level in the state of Rhode Island. Look at history. The only anomaly is PCBB in the late 80's and early 90's and I believe that was tolerated due to being coached by the sainted name of Joe Mullaney Jr. The PCW hockey team had a mild touch of success during the same period riding on the back of one great player who decided to stay home. Other than that, nada, zip, nothing. The same with URI. Why? I live near RI and have many friends in that state and still have difficulty coming up with an acceptable answer. Maybe it's something in the water. It is as though it is "a man's state and women should stay home in Craaanston in their beehive hairdos and cook supper instead of playing men's games." That is the feeling I sense ... and yet I don't know anyone who would actually admit to feeling that way. Nobody just seems to give a damn. I give up. You can pick it up from there. My question is why did CI accept the URI job? She must have known she would have a major problem trying to turn things around.
Just a slight historical correction. While I agree that it is difficult in these days of big budget programs to bring success on a national level to a small campus like URI, it wasn't always so. It's ancient history but URI was a national powerhouse in MBB in the late 1940's and early 50's with, I believe, 2-3 NIT (no NCAAs then) championships. The UConn/URI rivalry was sell-out tough for years in the old Yankee Conference with both sides taking their share of wins.

Reaction Score
Just a slight historical correction. While I agree that it is difficult in these days of big budget programs to bring success on a national level to a small campus like URI, it wasn't always so. It's ancient history but URI was a national powerhouse in MBB in the late 1940's and early 50's with, I believe, 2-3 NIT (no NCAAs then) championships. The UConn/URI rivalry was sell-out tough for years in the old Yankee Conference with both sides taking their share of wins.[/quot

URI has never won the any NIT championships.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Just a slight historical correction. While I agree that it is difficult in these days of big budget programs to bring success on a national level to a small campus like URI, it wasn't always so. It's ancient history but URI was a national powerhouse in MBB in the late 1940's and early 50's with, I believe, 2-3 NIT (no NCAAs then) championships. The UConn/URI rivalry was sell-out tough for years in the old Yankee Conference with both sides taking their share of wins.

George, I am referring specifically to big-time women's sports programs. There appears to be a statewide macho atmosphere that could care less about high level female success in sports. Strangely enough, support at the high school level seems to be normal, and even gets good coverage in the Providence Journal.

Reaction Score
George, I am referring specifically to big-time women's sports programs. There appears to be a statewide macho atmosphere that could care less about high level female success in sports. Strangely enough, support at the high school level seems to be normal, and even gets good coverage in the Providence Journal.
I have to agree with you that there appears to be a lack of interest in the WBB program at URI, but I hear that it is growing.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Inglese was also very successfukl at Vermont before she got the BC job. I was surprised when she left BC and efen more surprised that she took the URI job. I thought she was better than that.

Did she have a little tiff with GA while she was at BC?

Reaction Score
My bad, I checked and URI never did win an NIT. IN 1946 they lost the championship by one point to Kentucky. I did my undergrad at URI in the 60's and my memory of all the plaques and trophies in the old Keaney Gym that I had to encounter every day clouded my memory (what's left of it). During the Frank Keaney years (he retired in the late 40's) URI did win 402 against 124 losses.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with you that there appears to be a lack of interest in the WBB program at URI, but I hear that it is growing.
I heard that also. The Ryan Center is certainly a nice facility.

Reaction Score

I am not at all surprised to learn that the lack of interest in the WBB program at URI is growing.

Reaction Score
Mike, I personally feel that noone, not even Geno can succeed with a women's team at the national level in the state of Rhode Island.
Uh, I'm pretty sure Geno could succeed in Alaska, let alone Rhode Island.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am glad this topic was brought up as I wondered what happened to her. She may be a talented coach but you got to have good talent to coach.

Did I just pull a Yogi?

Reaction Score
A personal friend of mines daughter was Last years captain of the URI women's hockey team. They went to the frozen four and were defeated by the eventual national champion in the semi's. I think it also was not the first time going far in the frozen four. Just saying!

Reaction Score
Cathy is a Conn. girl raised & attended school in or around the Manchester area. At B.C. she recruited well & had many competitive teams in the B.E. When they transferred to the ACC I believe the A.D. short changed her & the team. All emphasis & monies being on football. She got the short end of the stick & was forced out. Watching her teams play at B.C., I was impressed by her players endeavors & she as a coach. Spending 6 months a year in R.I. the only sort of sports interest is the Red Sox & Patriots, other sports little to nada!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cathy is a Conn. girl raised & attended school in or around the Manchester area. At B.C. she recruited well & had many competitive teams in the B.E. When they transferred to the ACC I believe the A.D. short changed her & the team. All emphasis & monies being on football. She got the short end of the stick & was forced out. Watching her teams play at B.C., I was impressed by her players endeavors & she as a coach. Spending 6 months a year in R.I. the only sort of sports interest is the Red Sox & Patriots, other sports little to nada!
Big Gene DeFillipo is just having so much success with the football program there, too. He may have single handedly destroyed the BC athletic department.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Big Gene DeFillipo is just having so much success with the football program there, too. He may have single handedly destroyed the BC athletic department.
It seems to me it's time for the President to step in;

and kick DeFillipo out.

Reaction Score
You know what they say about karma? BC, of the (paraphrased) "we are committed to staying in the BE and making it the best athletic conference in the country" while holding their hands behind their backs with their fingers crossed muttering under their breath "but only until we get that coveted ACC invite and get the heck out of this miserable conference". I guess I am not a good person, because I admit to taking great pleasure in seeing BC be the joke, and bottom feeder, of the ACC.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I became an Inglese fan when she led the UVM team to back to back undefeated regular seasons. It seems a shame that a coach with her talent is stuck in a backwater like URI. Then again, I'll admit to being pretty much ignorant about how she got there.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You know what they say about karma? BC, of the (paraphrased) "we are committed to staying in the BE and making it the best athletic conference in the country" while holding their hands behind their backs with their fingers crossed muttering under their breath "but only until we get that coveted ACC invite and get the heck out of this miserable conference". I guess I am not a good person, because I admit to taking great pleasure in seeing BC be the joke, and bottom feeder, of the ACC.

In my mind that makes you a good person.

Reaction Score
She is from Wallingford. I was good friends with her younger brother who actually went to UConn and lived on my floor.

Reaction Score
As a graduate of Georgetown & in regards to B.C., I am sorry to say that the Jesuit philosophy has lost it's way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom