What's Best for UConn? | The Boneyard

What's Best for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it better for UConn if SC wins next week or if the Buckeyes upset the home team? This is a question that comes up frequently when you're watching a game and really don't care who wins. What's best for UConn? You could argue that it doesn't matter at this early stage of the season, but the Huskies' one loss last year hung on for months and relegated the best team in the country to second place until the Gamecock Reckoning. If UConn had defeated Stanford, would the game against SC have been as interesting? Probably.

If OSU loses big at SC, what's their mental state having to face UConn the next week? If the Buckeyes win, how much would that help when SC faces #1? Wouldn't the Huskies be better off if the Gamecocks are undefeated for their smack down next year? Will SC be extra motivated if they have only one loss coming into the UConn game? If they're undefeated?

Reaction Score
Is it better for UConn if SC wins next week or if the Buckeyes upset the home team? This is a question that comes up frequently when you're watching a game and really don't care who wins. What's best for UConn? You could argue that it doesn't matter at this early stage of the season, but the Huskies' one loss last year hung on for months and relegated the best team in the country to second place until the Gamecock Reckoning. If UConn had defeated Stanford, would the game against SC have been as interesting? Probably.

If OSU loses big at SC, what's their mental state having to face UConn the next week? If the Buckeyes win, how much would that help when SC faces #1? Wouldn't the Huskies be better off if the Gamecocks are undefeated for their smack down next year? Will SC be extra motivated if they have only one loss coming into the UConn game? If they're undefeated?

IMHO whether The Ohio State University wins or looses at South Carolina is irrelevant to UConn. It will be UConn's first game of the year and ready to establish the run to a perfect national championship #11 year. For OSU if they loose big to SC they may find it even more difficult to meet UConn's talent, energy and execution (pun intended) And two big defeats early in the season will help set the bench mark to show OSU how far they have to go to be in the same "league" as SC and UConn.

Jim

Reaction Score
The biggest benefit UCONN gets from this game is that the coaches will be able to study game film of tOSU and see the degree to which injured players have recovered.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Unless the Gamecocks still have a lot of players out due to injury,, I don't see Ohio State staying within ten in Columbia. The good thing is that I only have to wait 6 more days for the game.

Reaction Score
Unless the Gamecocks still have a lot of players out due to injury,, I don't see Ohio State staying within ten in Columbia. The good thing is that I only have to wait 6 more days for the game.
Agree. More like Ohio State loses by 15 or 20 at Columbia.

Reaction Score

You're right, (game)cock. SC should bury OSU by double digits--especially at home and with their fanatically loyal fans. (The editor of the site wouldn't permit the use of just c*o*c*k. They also prevented the use of r#e#t#a#r#d as a verb. The Hartford Courant would not allow me to use Lauren's [you know who] last name.)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You're right, rooster. SC should bury OSU by double digits--especially at home and with their fanatically loyal fans.

Loyal, yes, but many of them are old. I get frustrated when trying to get people around me up on their feet and screaming bloody murder. I wish we could get more students at games.

Reaction Score
In Alston's freshman year tOSU opened their season against Notre Dame on the deck of the USS Yorktown. The game ended with Notre Dame winning 57-51. There was no Mitchell on that tOSU team while Notre Dame started Achonwa, McBride, Diggins and Loyd. In hindsight one would expect that it would have been a blowout. That Irish lineup was better than what SC will put on the floor. Of course, they won't be dealing with a rocking boat and wind so who knows. I think tOSU is every bit as talented as Tenn. I expect a close game.

What effect a Buckeye win would have on the UConn game? I'm not sure. Beating SC would be as big a win for tOSU as Stanford's victory against UConn last year, and we saw how Stanford played in their next game. On the other hand, SC is a talented and well coached team playing at home, and beating them would say something about the quality of this tOSU team.

If UConn executes they win, regardless of what happens in Columbia.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In Alston's freshman year tOSU opened their season against Notre Dame on the deck of the USS Yorktown. The game ended with Notre Dame winning 57-51. There was no Mitchell on that tOSU team while Notre Dame started Achonwa, McBride, Diggins and Loyd. In hindsight one would expect that it would have been a blowout. That Irish lineup was better than what SC will put on the floor. Of course, they won't be dealing with a rocking boat and wind so who knows. I think tOSU is every bit as talented as Tenn. I expect a close game.

What effect a Buckeye win would have on the UConn game? I'm not sure. Beating SC would be as big a win for tOSU as Stanford's victory against UConn last year, and we saw how Stanford played in their next game. On the other hand, SC is a talented and well coached team playing at home, and beating them would say something about the quality of this tOSU team.

I can't see a huge effect either. But as to your game on the Yorktown - windy maybe, but I'm pretty sure the boat didn't rock.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I think tOSU derives a benefit from having played a highly talented D1 team before they face UCONN. UCONN's size and athleticism won't be a much of a shock to them as it would be if this were the first game for each. This will be a good test for the Core Four, plus whoever ends up as the fifth starter. A victory is not a given.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be good for women's college basketball (and therefore UCONN) for UCONN to give SC its first loss of the season when we meet?

Reaction Score
IMHO whether The Ohio State University wins or looses at South Carolina is irrelevant to UConn. It will be UConn's first game of the year and ready to establish the run to a perfect national championship #11 year. For OSU if they loose big to SC they may find it even more difficult to meet UConn's talent, energy and execution (pun intended) And two big defeats early in the season will help set the bench mark to show OSU how far they have to go to be in the same "league" as SC and UConn.

It's lose, not loose. Couldn't take seeing one more person make this mistake without finally saying something.

To everyone out there, and you know who you are, it's LOSE not LOOSE. Your pants are loose. Your team might lose. Got it? Good.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
What tOSU does or doesn't do against South Carolina has absolutely nothing to do with UConn on any level. Kind of a reach topic.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You guys have won 10 national championships; are you really concerned about what happens to Ohio State in the game before you play them?

Reaction Score
You guys have won 10 national championships; are you really concerned about what happens to Ohio State in the game before you play them?

Sure, we're fans. We talk and speculate. The problem would be if the team was concerned. As far as NC's, it's never enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom