What would it take to make you content with the AAC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What would it take to make you content with the AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going the schadenfreude route... everybody loses with cord cutting, which makes UConn more or less equal again, behind only most of the SEC and some of the BiG.

My scenario: By 2021, accelerated downward revenue trends force ESPN to renege on its larger rights deals. Panic ensues. The ACC cannot survive cord cutting, nor can the B12 (save TX/OK) or Pac10. None of which were adequately prepared with alternate models. Senators and representatives from Southern and Midwestern states ally to defeat net neutrality for the sake of preferential streaming of football games, however, consumer pushback over paying top dollar for Indiana/Northwestern or Vandy/Mississippi leads to further revolt and the final result is ONE superconference of 16 teams with everyone else tossed aside and nobody on either coast really cares.

This also results in college campuses being mostly redundant as learning centers, but important as research centers. Distributed education takes over. No more big-time college sports as we know it. Along with that change, Title IX goes to the wayside. All sports programs must be revenue positive without the help of a conference TV deal going forward.

Geno is long retired and women's hoops history is dead everywhere. Most college sports teams return to club level status. Only a few major men's hoops programs survive as semi-pro teams (the NCAA being long dead by now), due to some forethought in terms of creating proprietary device-friendly programming specific to their teams, UConn being one of those.

How's that for a dystopian future?
...within 6 years? WHAT ABOUT OUR DEAL TO PLAY TENNESSEE?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
...within 6 years? WHAT ABOUT OUR DEAL TO PLAY TENNESSEE?

Oh, that's still on. But the teams will have to resort to Kickstarter to get gas for their bus :p

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I miss our old rivalries.
For that reason alone I will never like the AAC.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If the AAC provided all of the following, I'd be happy in it:
6. while we are on the topic, I'd like to see UConn begin its own UCONNTV channel and begin to operate like the Texas/ND of the G5 world (as we should as the top revenue school in the G5);
If I could get UConn TV streaming over ROKU with year round content: Mens & Women's basketball, Football, Hockey, Baseball and Soccer and color and play by play up to a reasonable standard I would pay $20 a month for that channel without hesitation. Maybe more.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm already content with the AAC. It's a good (not great) conference.

I was at UConn before Calhoun arrived. We were at the bottom of the Big East in BB and we were 1-AA in FB. Compared to that, I'm happy where we are.

We would more than hold our own in the Big 10. That's the ultimate goal. But I'm not crying in my pillow at night because of the AAC.

Reaction Score
You will get used to it. UConn has dumped longtime rivals before and many could not even name now.
I'll bet you Nelson can....he still thinks and longs for those small time days back in the ECAC.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I'll bet you Nelson can....he still thinks and longs for those small time days back in the ECAC.
LOL Arnold Dean and his guest from "Eastern. Basketball" Rita Napolitano, fans waving state flags (no Husky flags then) and the Field House. Nostalgic yes, but please....

Reaction Score
watching CCSU play UCF in New Britain somewhere... and then watching Uconn play Ohio St later that night.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
watching CCSU play UCF in New Britain somewhere... and then watching Uconn play Ohio St later that night.....

You could take CTfastrak to both games!

Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
I thought this thread had died or was disposed of in a fitting manner (like in a 55 gal barrel full of cement).

Can someone please do that? Fishy? Someone? Otherwise, I'll install my own thumbscrews.

Reaction Score
I thought this thread had died or was disposed of in a fitting manner (like in a 55 gal barrel full of cement).

Can someone please do that? Fishy? Someone? Otherwise, I'll install my own thumbscrews.
Wouldn't you need opposable thumbs to operate the thumbscrews and wouldn't said thumbs be unavailable due to their being the object of said thumbscrews? I'll be the first to admit I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest in bondage/torture technology (can I get a thumbscrew app for my phone). Does membership in the AAC qualify as torture technology? If so, I may be more up-to-date than I thought.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only thing that would make me content with the AAC is if every member but UConn left it, and Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, BC (yes BC), Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, UVA, VT, Rutgers, Michigan and Michigan State joined it. Essentially, radiate out from Storrs and and grab the next 11 - 13 current P5 schools and add them to it. No I don't want Cinci.

There is not a single school currently in the American that I want in UConn's eventual conference.

Reaction Score
A guaranteed spot in the New Years 6 bowl lineup for the conference winner.

Reaction Score
Bit of positive thinking here. UConn wins the AAC outright at 10-2, ranks 28th in the polls and alienates an SEC team in a bowl game. And I mean annihilates, just as we did Spurrier.

Got to go meet Megan Fox and Summer Glau for a threesome right now. Maybe I'll report back.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A serious bowl tie in schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads