What would it take to make you content with the AAC? | The Boneyard

What would it take to make you content with the AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What would have to happen to make you content with the AAC as UConn's athletics home for the next 20+ years? Is it TV money? More ESPN exposure? Big 12 getting raided and leftovers joining the AAC to make it a 16 team conference?

If we could wind up with $10m plus from the TV deal I'd be okay. The basketball is actually pretty good (and improving every year) and the football is as good as if not better than the Big East football was.

Reaction Score
Becoming a P6 conference and having the same access to post-season opportunities/$$$ that the rest of the power conference members do. Without the money that power conference membership brings, our athletics will not be able to compete on a national level in the long term (this includes both basketball programs). This in turn will make it harder to reach our aspirations of being one of the top public universities in the country.

Reaction Score
What would have to happen to make you content with the AAC as UConn's athletics home for the next 20+ years? Is it TV money? More ESPN exposure? Big 12 getting raided and leftovers joining the AAC to make it a 16 team conference?

If we could wind up with $10m plus from the TV deal I'd be okay. The basketball is actually pretty good (and improving every year) and the football is as good as if not better than the Big East football was.
I agree the football is equal to or better than the old Big East and there are some (top 4 or 5 teams) decent basketball teams but the bottom of the league is God awful.

For me to be content with this league I think we need significantly increased revenue ($20m+), we have pretty decent exposure although it could be improved by being in prime time on major TV network not the secondary market, access to national championship game (if we are good enough), and some of our old time basketball rivalries. Having a couple bigger named schools in the league would also help.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The football in the OBE is light year's ahead of the AAC. The AAC will never have a year like the Big East did in 2006 or 2009.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's really nothing.

If the AAC paid out $15,000,000 a year, does that really make games against Tulsa or Houston more appealing?

Of course not.

The conference is doomed to second-class citizenry. The talk about becoming part of the P6 is just bluster - it can't happen.

The networks and conferences that just took out the last major conference are not about to elevate another one, especially one that no one wanted to see formed in the first place.

So, the answer is nothing.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the AAC provided all of the following, I'd be happy in it:

1. about $30M/yr more revenue through a highly visible, prolific TV/media package that aired games on channels that people actually have in their lineup and watch;
2. to be granted autonomy along with the other power conferences with equal voting powers/rights;
3. access to the football playoff, BCS bowl game tie-in, improved non-BCS bowl game tie-ins, and improved access to top NCAA Tourney seedings;
4. about 90% of the schools in our conference replaced with bigger and better names - dump the Tulsa, Tulane, SMU hogwash and replace with BYU, Boise, and Fresno St (travel be dammed!);
5. the sweetest of sweetheart arrangements made with Notre Dame and Texas (and whatever other power school that wants to start its own network and play by its own set of rules) to play games against us - they can have their own networks and whatever money the AAC generates to play a shortened schedule games against UConn and a few other AAC schools;
6. while we are on the topic, I'd like to see UConn begin its own UCONNTV channel and begin to operate like the Texas/ND of the G5 world (as we should as the top revenue school in the G5);
7. UConn to meet the P5 "power school" requirement (as BYU and ND do) for football scheduling;
8. conference basketball tournament held at Madison Square Garden;
9. conference headquarters moved from Newport, RI to Storrs, CT;
10. a football conference championship game every year held at the Rent pitting UConn vs the "next best" - winner goes to the National Championship game

Since none of these are likely to happen, I guess I'll just remain unhappy in the AAC until we finally get our much overdue power invite.

Reaction Score
...The talk about becoming part of the P6 is just bluster - it can't happen.

The networks and conferences that just took out the last major conference are not about to elevate another one, especially one that no one wanted to see formed in the first place...

I think that is true. However, the question was what would it take to make me content. This would make me content. I doubt I will be content.

pj

Reaction Score
A supermodel wife, a few million dollars, and some LSD - then I'd be content with the AAC.

Reaction Score
I wish the AAC the best, as soon as UConn lands in the B1G or the ACC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1) The easy add: the AAC should force ESPN to add a full time blogger for the conference for year round coverage. We need press. I may hate ESPN and avoid their non live action tv - but I do enjoy their blogger coverage for several teams. The AAC needs press and a steady diet of it, not window dressing, is needed on the ESPN mega media machine. The cost here is minimal to the conf.

2) Unrealistic asks: Our chances of survival over the next 10 years would improve with access to better bowls. The best teams in our conf need a better bowl opportunity.

3) I liked to drop Tulsa for Boise State or Air Force.

Reaction Score
We go 12-0 and win the championship against an undefeated Alabama or Ohio State, I would be happy with the AAC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Having UCONN in either the BiG or ACC.....then I'm fine with theAAC.
Pretty close to what I was thinking. My answer to what would make me content with this conference is seeing it in our rear view mirror.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Unicorns? Unicorns.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm going the schadenfreude route... everybody loses with cord cutting, which makes UConn more or less equal again, behind only most of the SEC and some of the BiG.

My scenario: By 2021, accelerated downward revenue trends force ESPN to renege on its larger rights deals. Panic ensues. The ACC cannot survive cord cutting, nor can the B12 (save TX/OK) or Pac10. None of which were adequately prepared with alternate models. Senators and representatives from Southern and Midwestern states ally to defeat net neutrality for the sake of preferential streaming of football games, however, consumer pushback over paying top dollar for Indiana/Northwestern or Vandy/Mississippi leads to further revolt and the final result is ONE superconference of 16 teams with everyone else tossed aside and nobody on either coast really cares.

This also results in college campuses being mostly redundant as learning centers, but important as research centers. Distributed education takes over. No more big-time college sports as we know it. Along with that change, Title IX goes to the wayside. All sports programs must be revenue positive without the help of a conference TV deal going forward.

Geno is long retired and women's hoops history is dead everywhere. Most college sports teams return to club level status. Only a few major men's hoops programs survive as semi-pro teams (the NCAA being long dead by now), due to some forethought in terms of creating proprietary device-friendly programming specific to their teams, UConn being one of those.

How's that for a dystopian future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99