What will ND do in response to TCU/Baylor Situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What will ND do in response to TCU/Baylor Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You guys believe everything that comes out the TV box.

A CCG has zero affect on ND. An 11-1 ND team doesn't get left out because they routinely play the toughest schedule.

OSU jumped the B12 because they added one more Top 25 win to their resume that Baylor and TCU couldn't match. That is a value of a CCG, not any coronation as conference champ. The co-champ thing was also meaningless.

The weekly standings were media fodder and only reflected what was accomplished to date. TCU was three because they beat Minnesota and KSU, OSU was five because they beat MSU and Minny, Baylor was six because they beat TCU and not much else.

As for ND, they join a conference when the playoff goes to 8, and 5 autobids are locked up, and they feel they won't get a fair shake against at larges from the other P4. Won't even consider it until then.

If ND was 11-1 or 10-2, with Baylor as B12 champ and all else the same this year the at larges would go to TCU, Miss State, and ND. Arizona would be left out.

Bottom line ND isn't joining a conference.

Reaction Score
If it's apparent ND would not be able to get into the playoff they would join. Swarbrick has said that before, it would not be the end of the world if we joined in full either just the next chapter. We're not even indy now.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never join a conference until:

In other words, ND expects the royal treatment. The B1G will NEVER give that to them. Everyone gets equal shares of the revenue pie in the B1G and they would not allow ND to cut their own NBC deal.

Ditto for the SEC, if Alabama cannot get a sweetheart deal, neither will ND.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never join a conference until:

1. the Playoff selection committee rules that the participants must win their CONFERENCE;
2. a Power conference and its members will cut a sweetheart deal to allow them to keep NBC $$ in addition to conference revenue;
3. ND is still allowed to flex schedule football, in some degree, to allow for games to continue against USC and other national rivals

In other words, ND expects the royal treatment. The B1G will NEVER give that to them. Everyone gets equal shares of the revenue pie in the B1G and they would not allow ND to cut their own NBC deal. The ACC might give ND the sweetheart deal only to strengthen football scheduling for the likes of FSU, who will need it in case they should ever lose a game.

But until #1 comes "college football law" etched in stone and not written on a cocktail napkin each week, ND isn't going to join a conference.

ND makes less TV money under the NBC deal than any Big Ten school makes by being merely being part of a collective.

It is independence that ND wants, not the most TV money or a "sweetheart deal". The NBC contract is merely a means to an end. It allows ND the ability to stay out of a football conference.

It doesn't matter whether the Big Ten or SEC would give a deal or not. ND doesn't want to join a conference.

Reaction Score
My position is that in years where ND is a contender it will be fighting over the ACC spot given the likely overlap in common opponents between the two teams (ACC Champ vs ND) in a one loss situation. If they are undefeated they should be in UNLESS everyone else is also undefeated.

For the next few years this is how I expect the placements to go:

13-0 SEC
13-0 Pac 12
13-0 Big Ten
12-0 Big 12
12-0 ND
12-1 SEC
12-1 Pac 12
13-0 ACC
12-1 Big Ten
11-1 Big 12
11-1 ND (if 12-1 ACC is not FSU)
12-1 ACC
11-1 ND (if 12-1 ACC is FSU)

Reaction Score
My position is that in years where ND is a contender it will be fighting over the ACC spot given the likely overlap in common opponents between the two teams (ACC Champ vs ND) in a one loss situation. If they are undefeated they should be in UNLESS everyone else is also undefeated.

For the next few years this is how I expect the placements to go:

13-0 SEC
13-0 Pac 12
13-0 Big Ten
12-0 Big 12
12-0 ND
12-1 SEC
12-1 Pac 12
13-0 ACC
12-1 Big Ten
11-1 Big 12
11-1 ND (if 12-1 ACC is not FSU)
12-1 ACC
11-1 ND (if 12-1 ACC is FSU)
11-2 SEC will absolutely get in over an 12-1 non-FSU ACC school.

Reaction Score
http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dam...s-future-playoff-chances?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

That put the Big 12 in a precarious spot this year and it could put Notre Dame in an awkward position as soon as 2015, in which the Irish appear to have a strong enough roster to make a run at the College Football Playoff. Could not playing a conference championship game keep an 11-1 Irish side out of the playoff given the precedent set by the selection committee this year?

"I think everything is a fluid situation after today's decisions relative to who the four teams are," coach Brian Kelly said Sunday. "I think everybody is kind of back into their own conferences looking at, did we make the right choices in scheduling and decisions. I'm sure Jack (Swarbrick) and I will get back together and look at where we are and (if) are we doing the right things.

Reaction Score
Is that really all that different for ND than the BCS?

Would an 11-1 ND have made it to the 2012 title game? I doubt it.

So, what is different now? ND knows that it has to go undefeated, same as it ever was.

People are trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

Under the current playoff format there may be years that an 11-1 Notre Dame gets in, and there may be years that 11-1 isn't good enough. ND may be at a slight disadvantage since, all other things being equal, 12-1 is better than 11-1. However, as you already pointed out, ND doesn't finish 11-1 very often, so yesterday's playoff announcement is no reason for them to panic.

This is a bigger issue for the Big XII since in any given year there is a reasonable chance that their champ is 11-1.

Reaction Score

So, what is different now? ND knows that it has to go undefeated, same as it ever was.

Thought the BCS was based on computer ratings and polls.

Reaction Score

If this year's ND team had 1 loss, a controversial away loss at #1 Florida St, and was up against Ohio St, who lost at home to unranked Virginia Tech, even with the B1G Championship to it's name, I think ND gets in and Ohio St is left out based on Strength of Schedule and the football gods know that leaving a 11-1 ND football team out would have far reaching implication, such as a 8 team playoff the following year.

Reaction Score
If this year's ND team had 1 loss, a controversial away loss at #1 Florida St, and was up against Ohio St, who lost at home to unranked Virginia Tech, even with the B1G Championship to it's name, I think ND gets in and Ohio St is left out based on Strength of Schedule and the football gods know that leaving a 11-1 ND football team out would have far reaching implication, such as a 8 team playoff the following year.

Does ND have a tougher schedule this year? Most of the team are good but middling (which describes OSU's schedule). The only bonafide top opponent was FSU, but that's a loss. The committee would have to weigh who had the worst loss (OSU to VT) against who had the better wins (OSU over MSU and Wisky). Otherwise, both of the schedules are pretty blah. I also expect that at some point, Nebraska, Penn State and Michigan will pick up.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What's ironic is the college football playoff was put into place in part because of the whole 3rd best team always deserved a shot thing. What they've done is actually compounded the problem by making a 4 team playoff with 5 power conferences. The power conference champion(or champions) who don't make it are always going to bitch. They should have just made it an 8 team playoff with the 5 conference champions and 3 at larges to begin with.

With Notre Dame's schedule being worse than basically any of the P5 teams they would have to go undefeated to make it. I don't even think a 1 loss Notre Dame team would make a 4 team playoff over a 2 loss SEC, Big 12 or PAC team that won their championship. I still think their game plan will be to stay independent and wait for the expansion. Also, is there any doubt that they will expand? The playoff is going to be wildly successful. I expect a 16 team playoff eventually.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The contention is intentional - the biggest fear of everyone involved is devaluing the regular season (and associated ratings).

They need a system that keeps everyone guessing until the last week of the regular season since that pumps up the TV ratings - 4 spots for 5 conferences delivers this.

Reaction Score
The contention is intentional - the biggest fear of everyone involved is devaluing the regular season (and associated ratings).

They need a system that keeps everyone guessing until the last week of the regular season since that pumps up the TV ratings - 4 spots for 5 conferences delivers this.

I agree, but you can keep that guessing alive by going the basketball route - go to eight games, guarantee that each of the P5 champs gets one slot, guarantee that one G5 team gets a slot, and guarantee that Notre Dame gets one slot with 10 wins or more. Then all of the no. 2s are fighting for two slots (or three if Notre Dame has 9 or fewer wins).

There would still be a bloodbath for those last 2-3 slots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somehow even with 8 slots, I suspect that there will be enough jockeying for position to keep people interested and that's not even considering the competition for seeding.

I agree, but you can keep that guessing alive by going the basketball route - go to eight games, guarantee that each of the P5 champs gets one slot, guarantee that one G5 team gets a slot, and guarantee that Notre Dame gets one slot with 10 wins or more. Then all of the no. 2s are fighting for two slots (or three if Notre Dame has 9 or fewer wins).
There would still be a bloodbath for those last 2-3 slots.

Agree, except for the ND part No special deals. They'd get in based upon quantity and quality of wins, just like any G5 or they can join a conference.

Reaction Score
A hypothetical question was voted upon on Rock's House at NDNation.com today.

Question: If Texas joined the ACC, would you be in favor of ND joining for football?

I haven't tallied up the votes but "No" seems to be winning big.

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost....920;d=this

It is not a scientific or all inclusive vote. It does show that significant opposition to a football membership exists among ND fans.

Most of those who voted on that site are alumni and donors to the university. Sure, that site is more "hardcore" about independence than others might be, but those sentiments are not limited to that board.

They understand the potential implications of the playoff committee's actions. They just don't consider those implications worth giving up independence, even if Texas joined the ACC.

Reaction Score
A hypothetical question was voted upon on Rock's House at NDNation.com today.

Question: If Texas joined the ACC, would you be in favor of ND joining for football?

I haven't tallied up the votes but "No" seems to be winning big.

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost....920;d=this

It is not a scientific or all inclusive vote. It does show that significant opposition to a football membership exists among ND fans.

Most of those who voted on that site are alumni and donors to the university. Sure, that site is more "hardcore" about independence than others might be, but those sentiments are not limited to that board.

They understand the potential implications of the playoff committee's actions. They just don't consider those implications worth giving up independence, even if Texas joined the ACC.

No surprise, right ro wrong, ND's Alumni are VERY protctive of their indepdnene status and do not want amything to do with a conference. I saw in several blogs after ND's 'arrangement' with the ACC as that Swarbrick is using this experiment to train/slowly guide ND into a conference (the football playoff has been on the radar for a long time) so that the Alumni had time to get used to the idea. ND went to the ACC because 1) they would allow ND to have a special arrangement, and 2) it's not the B1G. ND will go all in on a conference if the playoffs are not expanded to 8 teams in the near future. If it is expanded to 8 teams, could be another decade before a move happens.

Reaction Score
The playoff will expand to 8 teams soon enough and ND won't have to worry about it.

Reaction Score
The playoff will expand to 8 teams soon enough and ND won't have to worry about it.

5 conference champs, plus SEC runner up. So ND will be competing for 2 slots with the 4 other league runner ups. I wonder if g5 gets one seat at the table. Likely not.

Reaction Score
5 conference champs, plus SEC runner up. So ND will be competing for 2 slots with the 4 other league runner ups. I wonder if g5 gets one seat at the table. Likely not.

If a G5 team went undefeated and have a few wins over P5 teams, it is possible with 8 playoff slots. That said, there is a trend for P5 teams not to schedule G5 teams and that would be a reason why - effectively block them from playoff consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom