What will ND do in response to TCU/Baylor Situation | The Boneyard

What will ND do in response to TCU/Baylor Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since its apparent that having a 13th game is a major advantage going forward...

Does Notre Dame

1) Do nothing outside of maybe petitioning the folks on the committee, because they are Notre Dame, and therefore they assume people will bend over backwards into that pretzel position because ND is kinky and likes it like that?

2) Honor their agreement and join the ACC, thus making space for UConn to join (I'm convinced BYU and UC are going straight to the Big 12, although the ACC has done crazier things...)

3) Sue the ACC to get out of their GOR and go to the Big 10 along with UConn

Or my favorite...

4) Schedule Hawaii as an away game every year to take advantage of the 13th game exception and troll the rest of college football per their norm...

5) Fill in the blank

I'm honestly leaning towards #4...

Reaction Score
This would take ND paying attention to anything that takes place outside of South Bend.

Reaction Score
This would take ND paying attention to anything that takes place outside of South Bend.
Or to scissor lifts on windy days...I'm still shocked BK didn't get fired...

Reaction Score
ND grad here. It should now be perfectly clear that moving forward as an independent will cost us access to the playoff some years. Unfortunately, I think it will take several years where we are undefeated and not selected for the playoff to convince most ND grads that we have to reconsider independence.

For what it's worth (because this would be a rare opinion among fellow grads) I would love option #3. If we have to go to a conference, joining the B1G with UConn would be the best outcome for us. The ACC is a great second choice, but in my mind a distant second.

Reaction Score
ND grad here. ...... Unfortunately, I think it will take several years where we are undefeated and not selected for the playoff to convince most ND grads that we have to reconsider independence. .....

Several years? I thought you ND grads were smart. Writing on the wall just read it. An 11-1 ND takes second fiddle to a 11-1 ACC Champ. So 3 spots left and 4 other conference champs to deal with.

Not trying to bust your stones, and thanks for the kind UConn words. ND should move now and the road to CFB playoffs will be easier thru the ACC than BiG.

I realize change takes time to set in mentally, but I would have thought the top guys in SB have considered this months ago. This year's turn of events put it in the spot light right off the bat. Cut a preferred $ deal with Swofford keeping the NBC take, do it now because your bargaining power is only going one way unless they go to an 8 team playoff, which marginalizes conference play.

I'm glad this has all come about becasue I am a UConn fan. I rather know now what our fate is. I do not think the top tier athletic tradition at UConn can survive many more years in this dumpster conference.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
ND is never joining the ACC.

If ND were to ever go 11-1, given their name and the schedule they play, I can't imagine them ever being left out.

Reaction Score
ND is never joining the ACC.

If ND were to ever go 11-1, given their name and the schedule they play, I can't imagine them ever being left out.

They will definitely be left out if the other 5 conference champs have 1 loss seasons.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They will definitely be left out if the other 5 conference champs have 1 loss seasons.

Doubt it. TCU and Baylor didn't get in because their schedules were weaker in comparison to the other teams.

Take a look at ND's future schedules. Fairly brutal road to haul.

Reaction Score
Lets assume that this year TCU and Baylor played a CCG, the winner would have had 1 loss. Pretend ND was 11-1 too. So we know Bama, Oregon, and FSU are in. No way does ND trump a 1 loss TCU/Baylor or OSU. Its that easy. Conference champs rule. ND will have to go undefeated to get in.

Its called the P5 for a reason.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lets assume that this year TCU and Baylor played a CCG, the winner would have had 1 loss. Pretend ND was 11-1 too. So we know Bama, Oregon, and FSU are in. No way does ND trump a 1 loss TCU/Baylor or OSU. Its that easy. Conference champs rule. ND will have to go undefeated to get in.

Its called the P5 for a reason.
I understand where you are coming from but you have to factor season long strength of schedule. ND could have surpassed TCU/Baylor based on that (records being equal).

Reaction Score
The playoff selection committee made it clear that winning a conference championship game and finishing 12-1 is better than not playing in a conference championship and finishing 11-1.

Notre Dame is at a competitive disadvantage. There may be years where 11-1 is good enough to get them in the playoffs, but their independence may hurt them a little.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
ND every year at minimum is going to have USC, Stanford and Navy.

In addition they have Texas, Michigan State, Ohio State and then their ACC rotation which likely is going to include at minimum a FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech every season.

Also, I don't care what anyone says but if ND is in a position to make the playoff they are getting in.

Reaction Score
Since its apparent that having a 13th game is a major advantage going forward...

Does Notre Dame

1) Do nothing outside of maybe petitioning the folks on the committee, because they are Notre Dame, and therefore they assume people will bend over backwards into that pretzel position because ND is kinky and likes it like that?

2) Honor their agreement and join the ACC, thus making space for UConn to join (I'm convinced BYU and UC are going straight to the Big 12, although the ACC has done crazier things...)

3) Sue the ACC to get out of their GOR and go to the Big 10 along with UConn

Or my favorite...

4) Schedule Hawaii as an away game every year to take advantage of the 13th game exception and troll the rest of college football per their norm...

5) Fill in the blank

I'm honestly leaning towards #4...

Do nothing and stay independent.

ND has had one year since 1993 with less than two losses (2012).

The playoffs are a once in a great while thing for ND. Independence is all of the time.

Reaction Score
If the playoff stays at 4 teams, conference realignment will pick up. I would think the football playoff will go to 8 teams in the near future. Everyone knew that a 4 team playoff with 5 major conferences, independents, and the G5 would not satisfy a number of people.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is going to Notre Dame.

The playoffs will be 6 or 8 teams before Notre Dame joins a conference.

Reaction Score
Do nothing and stay independent.

ND has had one year since 1993 with less than two losses (2012).

The playoffs are a once in a great while thing for ND. Independence is all of the time.
That may be true in the short run ,but non appearance in the playoff will eventually costs fans.

Reaction Score
ND every year at minimum is going to have USC, Stanford and Navy.

In addition they have Texas, Michigan State, Ohio State and then their ACC rotation which likely is going to include at minimum a FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech every season.

Also, I don't care what anyone says but if ND is in a position to make the playoff they are getting in.

They have 3 typical non-conference games, and they are doing a true round-robin of ACC teams, meaning they not only get FSU, Clemson, etc., but you also get Wake Forest...to be fair considering that the SEC had Ole Miss and MSU near the top of the standings, I'm not sure you can determine year to year who the power teams are going to be outside of a select few.

They better hope that the good non-conference teams they schedule don't go in the tank...that's risky business. Texas sounded like a guaranteed top 10 game a couple of years ago...so did Florida, and Michigan a couple years further back than that. That 13th game just gives you 1) A tiebreaker and 2) leeway in case one of your "big dogs" has a bad year.

Reaction Score
That may be true in the short run ,but non appearance in the playoff will eventually costs fans.

I doubt it. ND hasn't won a title in 26 years and gets 81,000 for every home game.

Michigan has won 1/2 of a title since World War II and they draw over 100,000. So does Penn State, who last won a national title in 1986, I believe.

Does Tennessee still draw well? Some programs always draw well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have 3 typical non-conference games, and they are doing a true round-robin of ACC teams, meaning they not only get FSU, Clemson, etc., but you also get Wake Forest...to be fair considering that the SEC had Ole Miss and MSU near the top of the standings, I'm not sure you can determine year to year who the power teams are going to be outside of a select few.

They better hope that the good non-conference teams they schedule don't go in the tank...that's risky business. Texas sounded like a guaranteed top 10 game a couple of years ago...so did Florida, and Michigan a couple years further back than that. That 13th game just gives you 1) A tiebreaker and 2) leeway in case one of your "big dogs" has a bad year.

A championship game can help in years like this - either TCU or Baylor would have had to have won the game, right? - but can also hurt you.

If FSU had played an upstart like Duke or Pitt from the other division (which was much weaker) and somehow lost, then there would be no TCU/Baylor situation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I understand where you are coming from but you have to factor season long strength of schedule. ND could have surpassed TCU/Baylor based on that (records being equal).

That's it. It isn't about 13 games. It is about one more very strong game at the end of the year. OSU made a statement blowing out Wisconsin and it pushed them ahead. Bowlsby is full of crap that he wasn't aware of this. It was obvious to everyone that the Big 12 would be handicapped.

Reaction Score
if ND has gone 11 and 1 this year with their strength of schedule (and poltical weight within College Football and the media) and that 1 loss was to Florida St, they would be in based on strength of schedule over Ohio St (weak loss) and the XII teams (strength of schedule).

I could see a 1 loss SEC team (upset by a 2 loss SEC team it the SEC championship game) getting in over a 1 loss ND team, though.

That said, ND will stay independent as long as possible and they will push for a playoff expansion to 8 teams to ensure such. If their playoffs hopes are still weak, they go to the ACC. On,y reason they joint the B1G is if the P5 becomes the P4 and the ACC is the conference to fail, then ND goes to the B1G as the PAC makes no sense based on geography and XII makes no sense politically/culturally.

Reaction Score
I suppose its mostly semantics, but ND is actually not an"Independent" in football. Its like saying a girl is " partially pregnant ". To be more accurate, ND in football is " Quasi Independent ". ND is contractually obligated to have 5 football games in the future with ACC teams ( 40% of its schedule ). This is an arrangement that benefits both ND and the ACC. ND also has its non football teams in one conference... the ACC. ND does not share in any football Bowl Revenues that ACC Schools has negotiated in revenue sharing to themselves. ND is also contractually obligated to join the ACC for football should it decide to join a league for football ( contracts are" made to be broken" of course, but such negotiation contracts no longer make one what we'd call a true " Independent " )

As for ND, they remain simultaneously the most beloved and the most disliked college football program in America. This is why they continue to be an advertisers dream. They bring eyeballs to the tv screen. This makes ND and the adverstisers and networks money. Such a money maker for ND is unprecedented, and allows them to secure TV contracts that are praise worthy in scope and degree. You have to tip your hat to them in this regard. ND will continue to have their own unique relationship with the Networks until such a relationship no longer makes the networks money. My guess, from the looks of things, that appears right now to be for a very long time.

Reaction Score
ND will do nothing in response to the Big 12 situation. Everyone and their grandmothers knew the Big 12 had a situation despite Bowlsby claiming ignorance. The only surprise there is that the conversation is about Baylor and TCU and not Texas and Oklahoma.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never join a conference until:

1. the Playoff selection committee rules that the participants must win their CONFERENCE;
2. a Power conference and its members will cut a sweetheart deal to allow them to keep NBC $$ in addition to conference revenue;
3. ND is still allowed to flex schedule football, in some degree, to allow for games to continue against USC and other national rivals

In other words, ND expects the royal treatment. The B1G will NEVER give that to them. Everyone gets equal shares of the revenue pie in the B1G and they would not allow ND to cut their own NBC deal. The ACC might give ND the sweetheart deal only to strengthen football scheduling for the likes of FSU, who will need it in case they should ever lose a game.

But until #1 comes "college football law" etched in stone and not written on a cocktail napkin each week, ND isn't going to join a conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom