What we need. | The Boneyard

What we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that sometimes we can get caught saying we need this guy or another particular guy...but I believe that as long as the talent we get is above average with a 5 star guy sprinkled in, we will be okay, that has been the uconn way for a long time. We never had the recruits like duke, n.c. or now kentucky, but it is the uconn way to motivate to be the toughest. Ollie and the staff know what they are doing and this year may not be a title, but we will be good. I do see a title in the near future.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agree. We've never bunched up 5 star talent and we still win.

Reaction Score
That's certainly true as far as on-court performance, but given this recent (and arguably ongoing) period of turbulence, landing a stud recruiting class reinforces the perception that we're still a major national player, which helps in future recruiting cycles when we want to pick up 5-star guys.

Reaction Score
We already have two 5 star guys for 2014- I would love to add a good PG and PF- they do not have to be top 30 guys- just the guys that the staff wants.

UCONN is the best team in the country at finding the under the radar players that play like 5 star players should after a year or two in Storrs. @ Mr Lamb.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Agree. We've never bunched up 5 star talent and we still win.

Yeah, but as much as we all love Ollie, Jim Calhoun was the greatest developer of talent in the last 25 years. By far.

So Ollie will most likely have to get better recruits to get even close to where UCONN has traditionally been.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah, but as much as we all love Ollie, Jim Calhoun was the greatest developer of talent in the last 25 years. By far.

So Ollie will most likely have to get better recruits to get even close to where UCONN has traditionally been.
and/or he can use his nba pedigree and his learning under calhoun to develop them... you can already see it in daniels

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
and/or he can use his nba pedigree and his learning under calhoun to develop them... you can already see it in daniels

I think you are underestimating how freakin' good JC was at this.

Ollie could be the best in the country at it right now and still not be as good as JC.

Personally, I think Ollie will be very good at developing players and I think he will be better than JC at relating to players.

Reaction Score
JC may have been the best in history at finding and developing under the radar players- like in the history of the NCAA

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think you are underestimating how freakin' good JC was at this.

Ollie could be the best in the country at it right now and still not be as good as JC.

Personally, I think Ollie will be very good at developing players and I think he will be better than JC at relating to players.

I love Ollie, but you are right. Jim Calhoun went to the BB Hall of Fame precisely because he can turn boys (athletes) into men (BB players) on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
I definitely think everyone is spot on when it comes to Calhoun's ability to develop players. Maybe we do need a little more. However I have a feeling Ollie having Calhoun as a mentor, we may be able to see some of those same skills come through. I will take a Disciple of Calhoun any day.

Reaction Score
I will add Ollie as a great developer of guards. Once he arrived, Kemba absolutely evolved. Napier has evolved. Boatright seems to be following a similar path. For Big Guys, that is to be seen. I'd love to see us get a good Big Guy assistant.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I will add Ollie as a great developer of guards. Once he arrived, Kemba absolutely evolved. Napier has evolved. Boatright seems to be following a similar path. For Big Guys, that is to be seen. I'd love to see us get a good Big Guy assistant.

Oh god not this again. Chief go away. Hide from Clyde.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Huh? I've not posted anything like this before.... Hide yourself.

Old joke. Chief is a poster here. People (specifically Chief) used to pine away (religiously so) for Clyde Vaughn, our former big man coach who got busted with a prossy. Our big man game supposedly went downhill post Clyde, despite Thabeet, Adrien, et al to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom