What true freshmen played? | The Boneyard

What true freshmen played?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Certainly Beals and Tarbutt got playing time. Did any other true freshmen play?

Reaction Score
Certainly Beals and Tarbutt got playing time. Did any other true freshmen play?

If 100% accurate:

UConn: 1A-BEALS, Tyraiq, 1B-HADLEY, Javon, 10-STAPLETON, Cam., 13-DIGGS, Vontae, 14-BOYLE, Tim, 16-McALLISTER, Br.,
17-PUYOL, Bobby, 18-LEMELLE, Brian, 20-MELIFONWU, Obi, 22-NEWSOME, Arkeel, 23-LEE, Junior, 26-MARRINER, Josh, 27-VITALE, Nick,
28-FLOYD, Jordan, 31-ROBINSON, John, 34-CLAX, Jazzmar, 36-WALSH, Matt, 37-CLAFLIN, Jeremy, 40-TARBUTT, Mich., 42-WAIN, Justin,
44-DeLORENZO, Max, 52-WILLIAMS, Rich., 54-STEPHENS, Om., 55-HICKS, Jon, 57-ORMSBY, Cole, 66-MANCO, Dominick, 76-RUGG, Zach,
77-RUTHERFORD, Tr., 78-GIFFORD, Dalton, 83-CAMPBELL, Ian, 92-MYERS, Mikal, 99-MARINAN, Sean.

Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Gifford and Rugg, who aren't on the two deep, got snaps and Hashemi and Rutherford, who both are on the two deep but burned their redshirt as frosh, didn't. Nor did Pearl -- the true frosh on the two deep. I wonder if the plan is that these guys will go in if the guy ahead of them goes down, but their redshirts will not be burned just to block on XPs or to get mop up duty?

I would be very much in favor of that -- we've wasted too many redshirts over the last few years for guys who weren't asked to make any sort of a material contribution -- but we won't know for a while.

Correction -- I guess Rutherford played. So never mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A freshman lineman should only play if he's ready to start or injuries force him into action. It would also be nice to redshirt as many linebackers and TEs as possible. For me skill positions are up in the air. If a guy can contribute a decent amount, then it's fine to play him as a freshman

Reaction Score
I think we may be closer to the place now where we can worry slightly less about redshirts, because the recruiting seems to really be a level above where we have been in the past.

This seasons recruits are more highly-touted, bigger, stronger, etc... and (i hope) better than last years, and (hopefully) this will continue. RE had teams where most contributors were 4th or 5th year players...we may not have to rely on that anymore (again, hopefully).

All that said, absolute needs, and wants, are 2 different things. If we can RS them...lets do it. If not, life will go on.

Reaction Score
McLean, Parker, Lee, Mayala all lost their redshirts today........That makes 8 with Beals, Tarbutt, Robinson, and Campbell from week 1.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I believe we can still redshirt players who've played in games one & two. It is playing time in game three forward where a redshirt would be burnt.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I believe we can still redshirt players who've played in games one & two. It is playing time in game three forward where a redshirt would be burnt.

Not if I remember correctly. I believe you are thinking of a medical redshirt. If they go down and are hurt for the year and played in 3 games or less, you can usually win that appeal and get an extra year. However, I'm pretty sure if you play in a game and you don't have a medical appeal than you lose your RS. Not 100% positive though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You want to redshirt as many kids as you can. If we weren't behind on recruiting then true freshmen wouldn't be the best at their position very often.

Reaction Score
Not if I remember correctly. I believe you are thinking of a medical redshirt. If they go down and are hurt for the year and played in 3 games or less, you can usually win that appeal and get an extra year. However, I'm pretty sure if you play in a game and you don't have a medical appeal than you lose your RS. Not 100% positive though.

You have it right. Barring an injury, one play burns the redshirt

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if the staff does or does not plan on redshirting (barring injury) any kids who have seen the field prior to this game but if any of those we've mentioned above who have played sit this game, there is a very good chance the staff does want to redshirt them.

The thing of it is a) in football it isn't unreasonable to believe a player got injured in a practice (where an outsider would have visual evidence), b) redshirts are applied for at season's end, not during the season c) actual medical information is seldom provided when requesting an initial redshirt as d) application for a waiver (for a second redshirt season) is the only instance where timely provision of medical records is required; I don't believe the injury issue will be a hard and fast requirement.

Reaction Score
Someone told me they saw Blackwell play on specials. I didn't confirm if this is true.

Reaction Score
Someone told me they saw Blackwell play on specials. I didn't confirm if this is true.

Army game player participation chart:

UConn: 1A-BEALS, Tyraiq, 1E-TULLY, Tony, 1B-HADLEY, Javon, 7-GREEN, John, 10-STAPLETON, Cam., 14-BOYLE, Tim, 16-McALLISTER, Br., 17-PUYOL, Bobby, 18-LEMELLE, Brian, 23-LEE, Junior, 26-MARRINER, Josh, 27-VITALE, Nick, 28-FLOYD, Jordan, 31-ROBINSON, John, 37-CLAFLIN, Jeremy, 40-TARBUTT, Mich., 42-WAIN, Justin, 44-DeLORENZO, Max, 46-VANN, Marquise, 49-PARKER, Dallas, 54-STEPHENS, Om., 55-HICKS, Jon, 57-ORMSBY, Cole, 66-MANCO, Dominick, 70-BOCKELOH, Kyle, 73-HASHEMI, Steve, 77-RUTHERFORD, Tr., 78-GIFFORD, Dalton, 80-MYERS, Tommy, 85-McLEAN, Aaron, 88-MAYALA, Hergy, 89-LEE, Chris, 93-FATUKASI, Foley, 99-MARINAN, Sean

Reaction Score
I don't know if the staff does or does not plan on redshirting (barring injury) any kids who have seen the field prior to this game but if any of those we've mentioned above who have played sit this game, there is a very good chance the staff does want to redshirt them.

The thing of it is a) in football it isn't unreasonable to believe a player got injured in a practice (where an outsider would have visual evidence), b) redshirts are applied for at season's end, not during the season c) actual medical information is seldom provided when requesting an initial redshirt as d) application for a waiver (for a second redshirt season) is the only instance where timely provision of medical records is required; I don't believe the injury issue will be a hard and fast requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom