What is the formula? | The Boneyard

What is the formula?

Reaction Score
Multiple times Dan Hurley has mentioned the formula. What is the formula? Here is my take.

1) Implement a European style offense. Multiple shooters 1-4 positions while having capable passers at every position. Instead of being overly dependent on one on one or pick and roll plays. The constant motion offense wears teams down and eventually creates an advantage the second half.

2) Implement multiple style defenses designed around different styles of centers. Think Sanogo/Clingan and Clingan/Johnson. Having one defense where the center plays drop coverage and then another that high hedges puts a lot of pressure on the opposing teams to adjust on the fly. It’s a preparation nightmare.

3) Recruiting to needs and roster management. Hurley fills needs. It’s not just athletes, it’s not just shooters or skilled players and it’s not just tough or junk yard dogs. His teams are very balanced, everyone has something to offer and those who come in as freshman come in knowing nothing is going to be given them and if they can’t cut it they are replaced by proven transfers that prioritizes winning.

Those three things makes them balanced, talented, athletic and extremely adaptable. They have been fortunate as well but that formula makes them very difficult to beat.

Reaction Score
Multiple times Dan Hurley has mentioned the formula. What is the formula? Here is my take.

1) Implement a European style offense. Multiple shooters 1-4 positions while having capable passers at every position. Instead of being overly dependent on one on one or pick and roll plays. The constant motion offense wears teams down and eventually creates an advantage the second half.

2) Implement multiple style defenses designed around different styles of centers. Think Sanogo/Clingan and Clingan/Johnson. Having one defense where the center plays drop coverage and then another that high hedges puts a lot of pressure on the opposing teams to adjust on the fly. It’s a preparation nightmare.

3) Recruiting to needs and roster management. Hurley fills needs. It’s not just athletes, it’s not just shooters or skilled players and it’s not just tough or junk yard dogs. His teams are very balanced, everyone has something to offer and those who come in as freshman come in knowing nothing is going to be given them and if they can’t cut it they are replaced by proven transfers that prioritizes winning.

Those three things makes them balanced, talented, athletic and extremely adaptable. They have been fortunate as well but that formula makes them very difficult to beat.

I don't know if your #2 has been particularly impactful. Opponents have kind of been feasting on Johnson all year, and he's only hedging a few possessions a game anyway. What makes our defense tougher is 1) having a monstar in the post that disrupts way more than a box score will show (and Sanogo was similar, just not as tall. Positionally he was brilliant on defense), and 2) our ability to switch, 3) communication. Our guys switch, help, veer, etc. with damn near perfection most nights. It helps us make up for some sub-par individual defense from Newton, Cam, and Alex in some matchups. Our defensive IQ is absurd.

Probably also noteworthy that we've had at least one LOCK DOWN defender in the starting lineup the last two years. When you cut the head off the snake, it takes teams out of their rhythm.

Recruiting Karaban IMO changed the trajectory of the program. Love Akok, but he couldn't have played this way in a million years. Having that extra shooter/passer wasn't something Hurley valued early on, but he clearly learned to adjust.

Reaction Score
Bai?
1711729156796.jpeg

Reaction Score

Great post.

The formula...
ducka3iqPXEAAWTQe.jpeg

Reaction Score
What Castle has done defensively as the year progressed….didnt see it coming. He had the quietest 16 points last night I ever saw.

Reaction Score
A big part of the formula is culture. The way the team practices and is unselfish. And then the focus on recruiting the right players for the program’s culture.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
This is so old school but the formula looks to me like the Red Holtzman Knicks with multiple positional defenders, relentless rebounding and excellent passers at every position. Clingan and Willis Reed are not necessarily similar in terms of protecting the paint but I'm not sure we will have a defender like Clingan for another decade.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

I love the Inside the Huddles but they remind me a little of Blue Chips.

Pitino being in that movie as an opposing coach is incredibly ironic considering the plot.

IMG_7736.gif

Reaction Score
I think having 4 different guys who consistently bring up the ball without issue and then run the point unselfishlessly is so unusual (Newton, Castle, Diarra and Spencer). Bless him, but it was RJ Cole every possession before DH switched to 4 out (5 really) offense. Then bring in heady players

will be interested to see if we will have 4 next year (Hassan, Nowell, Ball(?), Transfer?)

I think the shifting to high IQ, thinking players in recruiting at the 4 out positions is part of our formula. You can see it in Stewart. He was a bit heavy in HS, but Murray saw that 3 level scoring, but also his bball IQ. As Husky429 said, Karaban was key to paving the way. IMO alot of college players couldnt play this thinking man style of bball that Luke has ushered in.

Reaction Score
I don't know if your #2 has been particularly impactful. Opponents have kind of been feasting on Johnson all year, and he's only hedging a few possessions a game anyway. What makes our defense tougher is 1) having a monstar in the post that disrupts way more than a box score will show (and Sanogo was similar, just not as tall. Positionally he was brilliant on defense), and 2) our ability to switch, 3) communication. Our guys switch, help, veer, etc. with damn near perfection most nights. It helps us make up for some sub-par individual defense from Newton, Cam, and Alex in some matchups. Our defensive IQ is absurd.

Probably also noteworthy that we've had at least one LOCK DOWN defender in the starting lineup the last two years. When you cut the head off the snake, it takes teams out of their rhythm.

Recruiting Karaban IMO changed the trajectory of the program. Love Akok, but he couldn't have played this way in a million years. Having that extra shooter/passer wasn't something Hurley valued early on, but he clearly learned to adjust.
I know this may be heresy, but to me Castle has played better overall defense than AJ. He's taking players totally out of their comfort and rarely does the man he's guarding have a good game. AJ was more spectacular with some of his blocks, etc. but I don't recall him sticking to his man as tightly as SC does. Maybe I'm too starry eyed this year though.

Reaction Score
I know this may be heresy, but to me Castle has played better overall defense than AJ. He's taking players totally out of their comfort and rarely does the man he's guarding have a good game. AJ was more spectacular with some of his blocks, etc. but I don't recall him sticking to his man as tightly as SC does. Maybe I'm too starry eyed this year though.

Agreed. In a 1v1 situation as a lockdown defender SC is better. AJ was probably a better help and system defender.

Reaction Score
Jackson also wasn't nearly as disciplined and would do stupid stuff that baited the refs into calling a foul (which they often did).

Reaction Score
you don't need to guess. He's talked about it

• recruit program guys who buy in, and understand that they need to commit for a couple years. These are the core of the team
  • toss in a couple of one and dones that you know will play tough
  • fill in the remaining gaps from the portal

The first one is the commitment. He sells "look, you're going to have to take your lumps the first year, but if you stick with us, we will make a commitemnt to you that we will build a team around you."

He's given a millioin interviews in the past few weeks, so i won't ahve time to find ones where he's spelled it out, but those are his words.

Other things that might count as his "formula" include
  • have guys learn the offense over the summer, and then spend the in-season time drilling defense
  • tough as nails guys who buy into the team thing and want to be coached old school

Reaction Score
Aggressive, unselfish, accountable. Players actually sound apologetic when they dont play well like they let the team and DH down. Dont see that anymore in college BB.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The formula involves some very complex math. There aren't many who can follow it.

Zach.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom