What is Ollie's Perspective on Recruits? | The Boneyard

What is Ollie's Perspective on Recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I don't follow recruiting closely, I know the AAC is not the conference we want to be in and I know the Internet tends to attract pessimists like moths to a light. However, I suspect that with the little bit I know about our players and recruits Ollie is feeling confident and optimistic about the future.

We have appropriate size and athleticism at each position. With the exception of basketball newbies like Brimah and Facey, they also have some offensive talent, and it's possible that with development even the newbies could have talent. A coach who is confident in his abilities to mold players has got to be salivating at the prospects with this crop whether they are one star or five star. We know by now that Ollie feels he is such a coach, and probably is feeling very, very good about what he has got to work with in the future, recruiting stars aside.

Now maybe Ollie is not such a coach to mold players, despite evidence to the contrary. If you believe that, then it makes sense to be alarmed with anything besides players who don't need much molding to begin with. I'm excited about the possibilities because I believe Ollie is excited about the possibilities of what he can do with the existing size, athleticism and talent he has recruited. Ten toes in!

Reaction Score
Ollie is a coach with an NBA eye and in-depth knowledge of required skills. If he likes a recruit then he see Div 1 skill sets. That's the basis for a pro career. Not everyone can or will make the NBA but his players will succeed on the Div 1 level, with annual skill improvements to their game. Samuel and his other recruits are the start of a new day in Storrs and I too am excited of the possibilities of what he will mold with the clay he is recruiting.

Reaction Score
I'd add that Ollie seems to gravitate to recruits who show a high level of enthusiasm and effort on the court, not just talent. He equates those 2 traits with a good work ethic. If they have those 3 with at least some skills and inate ability he figures he can win with that.

I think the best teams at UConn were ones who had role players and a couple stars. So with Hamilton and Purvis UConn has stars and then fill the others around them and there's no reason UConn can't win big with that. Let UK, KU, UNC, etc. have 7 McDonald's All Americans. That's not the only way to win.

caw

Reaction Score
From Amore article:

"Ollie, a former point guard, said this week that his dream would be to have four players on the floor who could handle the ball at all times. He likes big guards, athletic frontcourt players, and versatility."

I think that spells out what Ollie is interested in.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
From Amore article:

"Ollie, a former point guard, said this week that his dream would be to have four players on the floor who could handle the ball at all times. He likes big guards, athletic frontcourt players, and versatility."

I seem to recall a coach somewhere saying something about a wide body in the lane and four 6-7 guys with hops and a handle. I think it was Al McGwire, but I'm not sure any more.

Reaction Score
From Amore article:

JC liked to have that to a degree when he was coaching at Northeastern. When he got to Uconn he obviously needed more size to deal with the other programs in the Big East.

caw

Reaction Score
JC liked to have that to a degree when he was coaching at Northeastern. When he got to Uconn he obviously needed more size to deal with the other programs in the Big East.

True, though JC often transformed his based on personnel.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about this for a while, but the title of this thread made me want to ask this question. Is anybody able to tell me why coaches can't talk about recruits until they sign an LOI? I understand the reasoning for uncommitted recruits who are still taking visits, but why can't coaches publicly comment on players once they give them a verbal? Just wondering why the NCAA has this rule.

Reaction Score
Is anybody able to tell me why coaches can't talk about recruits until they sign an LOI? I understand the reasoning for uncommitted recruits who are still taking visits, but why can't coaches publicly comment on players once they give them a verbal? Just wondering why the NCAA has this rule.
I think it is a good rule. Can you imagine the hysteria, media manipulation and social media campaigns if coaches could comment? Just look at this board during recruiting season and then imagine what it would be like if coaches could comment on recruits. The answer is verbals really don't mean very much and other coaches would find it open season on the players.

Reaction Score
I think it is a good rule. Can you imagine the hysteria, media manipulation and social media campaigns if coaches could comment? Just look at this board during recruiting season and then imagine what it would be like if coaches could comment on recruits. The answer is verbals really don't mean very much and other coaches would find it open season on the players.
Yeah, you're right.

Right after I posted I did a search and found this reasoning from the NCAA:
Coaches can’t talk about recruits before having a valid National Letter of Intent on file, and they can’t attend NLI signings not on an institution’s campus. Not allowing coaches to talk about the players they are recruiting avoids the “one-upmanship” that could (and previously did) occur between coaches in the recruiting process. Prohibiting their presence at signings also alleviates pressure some student-athletes say they felt when they signed. Peal said that if a signing takes place on an institution’s campus, she encourages institutions to have an administrator present in addition to a coach. The administrator can “back up the facts” if a student-athlete later appeals his National Letter of Intent and alleges he was pressured into signing by a coach.
That makes a lot of sense. I was just more interested in hearing what KO has to say about each of his recruits prior to signing day, but I understand there would be a lot of abuse of this rule.

Reaction Score
True, though JC often transformed his based on personnel.
JC got criticized early on for not being able to coach big guys. Of course not having any high level big men before Donyell may have had something to do with that. Funny how success can change fans perceptions.

caw

Reaction Score
JC got criticized early on for not being able to coach big guys. Of course not having any high level big men before Donyell may have had something to do with that. Funny how success can change fans perceptions.

I should have been clearer. He did vastly change the tempo he wanted from his teams and the type of plays he called based on his teams personnel.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
JC got criticized early on for not being able to coach big guys.

That's true. But did you notice that the ones saying that were idiots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom