What is Kiah's Pro Potential ? | The Boneyard

What is Kiah's Pro Potential ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I was going to start another thread on another day regarding this glad you brought it up.

IMO sometimes over-analysis is done here. First off- her Usage Factor is incredibly low because she was on an obscenely super great offensive team. She has a touch. How often have we heard Geno say "What do you do best?" Yes he wanted more offense from her but he had great offense so he wasn't going to feature or make it a point to get her the ball. The comeback maybe - "She wasn't even interested." Well ---why should she be? SO UCON could slow the game down and get the ball to Kiah Stokes?

Secondly, I read about what happens if she goes against Griner or Fowles. -- well- My God how often will that happen? And frankly imo she could play some defense against them. Especially with Fowles she can compete sometimes. Sure some games she would get destroyed but for example with Fowles she doesn't/can't pass. Fowles gets doubled a ton anyways. Kiah Stokes imo is the greatest defender in UCONN History. Kiah Stokes imo is the greatest defender in UCONN History. Kiah Stokes imo is the greatest defender in UCONN History. Kiah Stokes imo is the greatest defender in UCONN History. That MEANS something. No way am I saying she's going to outduel other great posts and be a big impact (are late 1st round picks a big impact?) -- but her length, quickness and athleticism - she can compete defensively vs nearly anybody. Maybe not these two but that would be about it in the post.

Third-- I tend to downgrade players in terms of "who have they played and how well did they play against the elites." IMO Kiah what she does well- she has more than held her own vs the best of the best. It isn't just one-on-one -- how many times does she help out vs a super player like Loyd and Sims? And when she goes against teams with lesser ability - she does what you are supposed to do- and that is overwhelm them.

Fourth - we've seen here Tiffany Hayes and Cliff Robinson get over-evaluated/nit-picked and wound up being undervalued. I thought Faris was under-evaluated but only in terms of I thought she is super fit for a team with a great low post player that wants to play halfcourt. The moment Tina left - she was sunk. I digress.

I just think the Usage Factor on Kiah when we had such other supreme weapons is overrated. Plus IMO the evaluation of the ND game that ND left her wide open------ I didn't see it. Can someone point that out to me where she was left so wide open inside? Was it because they played a Triangle-and-two when she immediately came in? I'll look again at the game but it seems like there is a big over-exaggeration that Kiah was left wide open - unless you are taking 15 feet and out. . Was Moriah Jefferson and our team that awful that Kiah was left so wide open under the basket every minute she was in? You see. I can over-exaggerate too. In all seriousness I could be wrong but I think her defense and the fact she has a touch and the fact she won't get frustrated with few scoring chances and the fact she is mobile at both ends makes me believe she can compete and be a good competitive backup in this league.

Teams always need some type of fundamentals. Her rebounding is terrific. And she does have a touch.

Reaction Score
In the modern game, posts who can finish around the rim efficiently and protect the rim/rebound at an elite rate are very, very valuable. She's going to be a solid player for a long, long time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kiah has a sweet mid-range jumper and yes can drain the 3 with very good form. The enigma who is Kiah moves on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Offensive usage rates for a defensive center are maybe a little ridiculous! In the right situation she could exceed Jess Moore's pro career and she has had a nice long one.
And I actually think getting out from under Geno's pressure may reinvigorate her offense. She is never going to be a 20/10 player but a 8/10 or even a 6/10 player who blocks shots and causes problems on defense should find a place on a good team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She would be a great fit for Minnesota. They have 4 scorers plus a mediocre defender at center. With Maya, Seimone, Lindsay, and Rebekkah, they don't need another scorer. Plus, Maya will mentor Kiah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom