What good is a block? | The Boneyard

What good is a block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
During last night's game, UCF got the first three blocks and UConn's first one did not come until almost 15 minutes into the game when UConn was already up 49-11. Of course most of Kiah's minutes and all of her blocks came in the last 16 minutes of the game. If you watched the action last night, you might have noticed that UConn's blocks didn't add up to much, as UCF got the rebound most of the time and in a couple cases answered with a basket. For the 10 blocks, UCF got 7 offensive rebounds that were followed by 7 points, while UConn got 3 defensive rebounds and scored 2 points on the following possessions.

So do blocks have any real worth? Are they mainly a dramatic showpiece that we love to see but that lead to very little value for a team? A few thoughts on the Husky block party:

What's normal? The results for last night's game though not entirely abnormal may not be the usual state of affairs either. In the previous game against USF, the 15 blocks started early on and UConn won the battle of the rebounds on them by 8-7 and were +2 on the following possessions. Still, unlike steals where a MoJeff pilfer leads to a quick 2 points much of the time, as a defensive play, blocks don't seem to be a big boost to the offense.

Offensive rebounds. There has been a lot of talk about UConn giving up too many offensive rebounds, and part of that has to do with the high amount of blocks. At least half the time the ball winds up back with the shooter, her close-by teammate, or is swatted out of bounds (an offensive rebound). One third of UCF's 21 offensive rebounds came off of blocks, leaving them with 14 ORebs off of 48 missed FGs (0 chances on FTs). It's usually not easy to time a block to go to a defender off a jump shot, and keeping the ball in play on a lay-up can be tough too.

Fear Factor. To me, great blockers are like light-hitting but golden-gloved shortstops who keep the runs off the board even if they don't produce many runs on offense. Many of the blocks are on shots that would have a high percentage of going in if not for the rude interception of the ball. After a few blocks, an opponents' tendency to go inside for customary higher percentage shots changes more to outside jumpers that go in more like 30.7% of the time when you play UConn. But an even bigger effect may be on all the altered shots still taken inside that are rushed, have the arc changed, or are off-balance. Finally, having the big swatter in the paint allows the other defenders to take more chances knowing that even if the ball handler blows by them, she may well get squashed in the paint.

Morale Killer. After the fear comes the deflating sense of futility that can happen for UConn opponents. The guards are pushing the ball handlers out on the perimeter and eating up the shot clock, and the opponents are left with a last few seconds to try to make something happen inside, with a Kiah or Stewie knowing that the ball-handler\shooter has few options left, allowing them to line up a swat. This is truly where the real 40 minutes of dread comes in.

So, yes blocks like dunks are a bit of a showcase play that don't change the scoreboard dramatically in the way a rain of 3s does, but they are an important piece of that 30.7% shooting for the opponents.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It seems as if many of Kiah's and Stewie's blocks are easy enough that they could possibly get two hands on the ball and catch it instead of simply swatting it. That would be a change of possession and might lead to a runout. I'm surprised that hardly ever happens.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It seems as if many of Kiah's and Stewie's blocks are easy enough that they could possibly get two hands on the ball and catch it instead of simply swatting it. That would be a change of possession and might lead to a runout. I'm surprised that hardly ever happens.
Kiah has developed blocking into an art. She has great balance and flexibility and like a good baseball hitter she waits as long as she can before springing so that she does not get fooled and is exactly where she needs to be. But that all requires a one-armed stretch not a two-handed block, even if she was once a volleyball player and was an ace at waiting at the net for a block. Basketball is different though, and the shooter can move the ball all over the place for a lay-up flip.

Stewie has become pretty good at directing the block to a place where she or a teammate can pick up the rebound, but one area where Kiah could improve on blocks is to slap the ball a little more lightly so it kind of settles in around her for a rebound rather than punching it back or out of bounds.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A block is basically the best defense as the opponents shooting percentage on blocked shots is almost zero (occasionally a blocked shot still makes it into the basket.
What happened after the block is really not that important. The defending team gets the ball XX% of the time which is the equal of a steal; the offensive team gets the ball xx% of the time but without a reset of the shot clock (most of the time) which makes their offense less efficient.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Statistically speaking, a steal is a a more effective defensive play that is far more likely to put quick points on the board, and it changes the possession though of course sometimes the ball is stolen right back. Twice last night on Kiah's blocks a UCF player grabbed the rebound and put it right back in the basket. The advantage for blocks is that it is a solid low-risk defensive play, while steals often result from high risk over-plays that can lead to easy buckets if they fail.

But UConn's defense revolves around that damning 30.7% defensive FG shooting, and it is the blocks that are the bigger factor in that number though the steals may add a lot to the points per game number.

Reaction Score
A block can be demoralizing to the blocked shooter. It can also make her change her shot the next time if she is concerned about being blocked again. Take a shooter out of her normal rhythm and that may drop her shooting percentage for her unblocked shots. :)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The game I most remember in terms of blocks was UNC vs. Georgetown in the NCAA Championship Game in 1982. Even though UNC won, Patrick Ewing intimidated UNC early with all of his blocked shots. Yes, I know that shows my age.

Reaction Score
The game I most remember in terms of blocks was UNC vs. Georgetown in the NCAA Championship Game in 1982. Even though UNC won, Patrick Ewing intimidated UNC early with all of his blocked shots. Yes, I know that shows my age.

A great game with a ton of star power.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Shot blockers bring one major factor to any game - intimidation!

Kia's shot blocking ability, along with Stewie's, force teams to change their shot selection. And as mentioned, it allows our guards to be more aggressive defensively. Deadly combination for opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom