What does P5 mean for non-football sports? | The Boneyard

What does P5 mean for non-football sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A good question.

I suspect that it doesn't make a difference for some non revenue sports and will for others. You have Head Count Sports for scholarships and Equivalency Sports for scholarships.

Head count scholarship sports are Football (DI FBS only), Basketball (DI men’s and women’s), Tennis (DI women only), Gymnastics (DI women only) and Volleyball (DI women only).

Baseball, for example is an equivalency sport for NCAA. Division I programs can allot 11.7 scholarships (with rosters usually ranging from 24-35). Programs like Bama and So Cal have had rosters in the 40's.

They can give half scholarships to 23 or so or full to almost 12. I would guess that the equivalency sports won't be included in FCOA.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you took a snapshot of the number of kids playing non-revenue sports in Div. I right now, I would guarantee you that the number will be significantly reduced in five years.

Reaction Score
The number of kids in club sports have been climbing...if you like the scholar athlete model, club sports is where it is at.

I know that while FSU offers less than 20 varsity sports...they field competitive (they also have recreational) club teams in men's and women's Lacrosse, men's soccer, men and women's rugby, crew, equestrian, cycling, fencing, field hockey, ice hockey, wrestling, water polo, triathlon, racquetball, skeet and trap, roller hockey, table tennis, bowling, sailing, men's volleyball,....and let's not forget Ultimate Frisbee and Quidditch and Paintball....among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom