What does it mean getting Sarah | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What does it mean getting Sarah

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Getting Sarah Strong is a huge deal.

UConn will be able to play excellent three point shooters at every position without sacrificing size. And Geno can go to the bench with more three point shooters. What a roster.

There are not many teams at any level, men or women, that can say that.

And if an opposing team has to defend the three at every position, that opens everything else up.

Doing the scouting report on UConn next season will be an excruciating experience.

Reaction Score
If you don’t see the obvious talent - the skill, the strength, the soft touch on her shots - I don’t know what to tell you. If you’re so dissatisfied with Geno’s recruiting, feel free to jump on the South Carolina bandwagon

You offer a quite noncollegial, counterproductive statement when you tell a person "if you don't agree with me, then leave" . Wow--that's real big signage to say "Only those who agree with me, are allowed at this site". For the record, I do happen to believe Sarah will be a truly, great contributor to the UConn program, and Geno's recruitment efforts potentially has been solid, but not stellar.

However, I choose not to "jump on the SC bandwagon" because in the basketball sense, they are the evil empire and I am a Jedi warrior.

At the same time, I can reasonably understand why some posters may be skeptical of the ratings HS players get, especially of late: We've seen "the obvious talent--the skill, the strength, the soft touch" in a lot of our top five recruits--CW, Liv, Amari, to date, Ice and Yanna--yet sadly, they underperformed and failed to make huge impact to the program, given their top five label.

You mention South Carolina--well, Dawn has significantly out-recruited Geno in the past few years in that their top recruits are panning out and making more contribution to their program than UConn's top recruits have. Certainly, the UConn injuries are a significant factor and those continually injured--Azzi, Caroline, etc--must be placed in the category of the unknown.

Nonetheless, I feel even the most ardent UConn fan would admit that having Top 5 HS players--even #1 overall HS picks--have not in recent times translated to a national championship, and getting to the Final Four which this program has most capably done, it is not the ultimate goal of this program.

Since winning the natty is unequivocally stated by the Geno and UConn as its goal each season, you can't blame some fans--who admittedly have undue expectation, given all the injuries--who want to hold the program to its own set goal...

Reaction Score
I agree with all of this. Perhaps the addition of Sarah Strong will allow for a rebalancing of the offense towards some more "hard to the rim" play that has worked so well for teams like South Carolina and Notre Dame in recent years. I'm certainly not calling for a wholesale abandonment of the motion offence, just adjustments that frankly should help in the context of the way the game is being officiated today, too.

Geno was already doing some of this via Edwards, but that project was really only partially successful, and certainly not well realized during the Iowa game. The refs were systemically unfair to Aaliyah over the course of her entire career at UConn. And her injury during the Big East tournament, itself a result of poor officiating during that game, did not help the cause for the NCAA's.
I agree with many of your observations--they are very much on point. I do disagree with your contention that the refs were "systematically unfair to Aaliyah. Why would you feel there is a bias against AE? Maybe it's her style of play. I've heard a lot of UConn fans complain that WBB is becoming bully ball and point to the SC program as the chief culprit. Maybe AE exuded this style and was called for it at times...

So i think it would be up to Geno and AE to conform to how she is being officiated;; for example in the Iowa game, when on a critical game-changing play, and a ref standing right in front, is it sensible and necessary to stick your arms out like a pulling guard in the NFL to pop a trailing Gabby Marshall, someone who is slow of foot and Paige could run rings around?

Rebecca Lobo also thought this was unquestionably a foul, and so did I--certainly you can't accuse Lobo of being biased against UConn's program. The foul was completely unnecessary , which throughout her illustrious, All-American career at UConn, AE has made many bonehead, head scratching decisions...

Reaction Score
At the same time, I can reasonably understand why some posters may be skeptical of the ratings HS players get, especially of late: We've seen "the obvious talent--the skill, the strength, the soft touch" in a lot of our top five recruits--CW, Liv, Amari, to date, Ice and Yanna--yet sadly, they underperformed and failed to make huge impact to the program, given their top five label.

You mention South Carolina--well, Dawn has significantly out-recruited Geno in the past few years in that their top recruits are panning out and making more contribution to their program than UConn's top recruits have. Certainly, the UConn injuries are a significant factor and those continually injured--Azzi, Caroline, etc--must be placed in the category of the unknown.

Nonetheless, I feel even the most ardent UConn fan would admit that having Top 5 HS players--even #1 overall HS picks--have not in recent times translated to a national championship, and getting to the Final Four which this program has most capably done, it is not the ultimate goal of this program.

Since winning the natty is unequivocally stated by the Geno and UConn as its goal each season, you can't blame some fans--who admittedly have undue expectation, given all the injuries--who want to hold the program to its own set goal...
I disagree with most of the context of your post. In regard to -CW, Liv, Amari, to date, Ice and Yanna-- Liv and Yanna did not have soft touches away from the basket. Though some mentioned it- but these were wrong evaluations. And Amari was not a top 10 player so putting her in the discussion with the number 1 player is not the best example to cite. Yes maybe CW did. And yes they underperformed to their ranking - but for example CW and Liv got to the Finals - and a Final Four another year. You're being kind of harsh especially with Liv-- she is a pro player that got to 3 Final Fours, one was a Finals.

And you mention about UCONN injuries in para 2 but then you take a bit of a snipe for not winning the championship. But if the injuries are significant as you state, then why would you expect or take a shot at UCONN for not winning it all?

Which leads further to goals. If you are going mention goals then you can't just disregard the other goals that have been met which this program does state - and they are win the Big East, Win the B.E Tourney, win the Regional FF. You did say "Ulitmte Goal" but you made it seem like the other goals don't matter. Does it seem like to any of us that the team doesn't celebrate the other goals? Ofc they do. Because they have meaning to the UCONN team including Geno. So, if they have significant injuries and they are meeting all their goals instead of the last one, it seems odd that UCONN should take a hit for this.

As a result, your final statement imo glosses over the goals. which is why I disagree with the context of your post. For anyone not understanding that their other goals that have been achieved along with there being significant injuries these past three years- ofc "we can blame them (the posters or fans)" if they become accusatory.

And in regard to this thread the 5 players you mentioned above- 4 of the 5 were not #1 recruits yet you lumped them in with Sarah.,

Why not appreciate what UCONN has done? Why not appreciate that a number 1 recruit is coming? The potential that Sarah can bring is exciting. It is very possible she can bring to the table great shooting, passing and rebounding. I suppose you do appreciate – but at least the context of this post it just seemed all so negative on a thread in which we got the #1 recruit.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of your observations--they are very much on point. I do disagree with your contention that the refs were "systematically unfair to Aaliyah. Why would you feel there is a bias against AE? Maybe it's her style of play. I've heard a lot of UConn fans complain that WBB is becoming bully ball and point to the SC program as the chief culprit. Maybe AE exuded this style and was called for it at times...

So i think it would be up to Geno and AE to conform to how she is being officiated;; for example in the Iowa game, when on a critical game-changing play, and a ref standing right in front, is it sensible and necessary to stick your arms out like a pulling guard in the NFL to pop a trailing Gabby Marshall, someone who is slow of foot and Paige could run rings around?

Rebecca Lobo also thought this was unquestionably a foul, and so did I--certainly you can't accuse Lobo of being biased against UConn's program. The foul was completely unnecessary , which throughout her illustrious, All-American career at UConn, AE has made many bonehead, head scratching decisions...
The systemic bias I am referring to is the officials letting other players beat up on her game after game, which led to certain liberties being taken by opponents like the kid who broke her nose. Meanwhile, they never missed an opportunity to call any kind of foul on Edwards. That includes moving screens, something that she was never able to contain over the course of her time at UConn.

Yes, in the Iowa game she "moved" so technically a foul, although I still think it's a no-call under the circumstances. But Edwards should have been more careful and not done it, because with her it usually resulted in a whistle.

Auriemma's reaction to the call pretty much said it all. It was part why did I even draw up this stupid play, part how dare you call that foul at this moment in the game, and part Aaliyah, how could you do that again at this most critical moment?

Reaction Score
You offer a quite noncollegial, counterproductive statement when you tell a person "if you don't agree with me, then leave" . Wow--that's real big signage to say "Only those who agree with me, are allowed at this site". For the record, I do happen to believe Sarah will be a truly, great contributor to the UConn program, and Geno's recruitment efforts potentially has been solid, but not stellar.

However, I choose not to "jump on the SC bandwagon" because in the basketball sense, they are the evil empire and I am a Jedi warrior.

In the same post, you laud Dawn’s healthy players as “panning out and making more contribution“ while criticizing the injured Geno’s players as not contributing as much. Does that seem a little one-sided? Tell me, ever thought about becoming a referee?

Reaction Score
I think that the decision on players will be made by Geno with input from his coaching staff. I am confident that this decision will be the best for the Team.

Reaction Score
The key for me is whether the head coach will finally make the necessary adjustments to his dated motion offence sufficient to allow a "Strong" forward to dominate in today's game with more physical and talented players. Geno's penchant for "pretty basketball" was again on display with that horrendous play he called in the final timeout against Iowa, a play achieved nothing except to force his star player into a small lane near the sideline between three defenders and his team's bench. That play was broken before it even began, and certainly before the offensive foul was called.

It's too bad that Lindsay Schnell's question about it was so poorly worded in the post-game presser, because it gave Geno an easy out ("I don't remember") from having to explain what he drew up there.
"Pretty Plays?" I guess they must be because so many coach's who have been successful have come to Storrs's to watch his players implement them - and that includes the one who just won the national championship.

Reaction Score
I do not know this young lady and I am sure that she is very nice. What makes her so special as a player and what can she do to contribute to this team. I was under the impression which I admit that I was wrong that she was 6 feet 6 inches and can really fill up the middle. Well, she is a big young woman and she can take up space but someone, please explain to me and perhaps others, why is she such a good recruit?

Just remember all of the recruits in the past who were touted as saviors for the program and who picked up splinters sitting on Geno's bench. Have to say that Arnold and Shade have done more than most freshman and the program would have severely suffered without them. Enlighten us all.
Best to watch video of her games

Reaction Score
Auriemma's reaction to the call pretty much said it all. It was part why did I even draw up this stupid play, part how dare you call that foul at this moment in the game, and part Aaliyah, how could you do that again at this most critical moment?
Yes to all three, that about catches it. It wasn't a bad call by the ref, though the timing was certainly regrettable. It was a poor play call by Geno at that moment. Rebecca said it looked like Nika had a path to the rim before she passed it. And Paige has criticized herself for getting to screens before her teammate is set. I hope we can put this question to bed now. It's tired, and Aaliyah doesn't need to bear the criticism for it -- it's not on her.

Reaction Score
Yes to all three, that about catches it. It wasn't a bad call by the ref, though the timing was certainly regrettable. It was a poor play call by Geno at that moment. Rebecca said it looked like Nika had a path to the rim before she passed it. And Paige has criticized herself for getting to screens before her teammate is set. I hope we can put this question to bed now. It's tired, and Aaliyah doesn't need to bear the criticism for it -- it's not on her.
It’s ok for teammates to put blame on themselves .. but how do you explain the fact that AE is good for an offensive foul on an illegal screen pretty much every other game ? When you screen don’t move or stick your shoulder or hip out it’s basketball 101 it’s not that hard

Reaction Score
It’s ok for teammates to put blame on themselves .. but how do you explain the fact that AR is good for an offensive fouls in an illegal screen pretty much every other game ? When you screen don’t move or stick your shoulder out it’s basketball 101 it’s not that hard
Sure, why not? But isn't this beating a dead horse? I've seen several replays of the play and yes, she's still moving when Paige gets there. A screen involves three players, which is why Paige often says it's her fault for being impatient. You can't tell from any of the replays whose fault it is. So let's give Aaliyah a break.

Reaction Score
In the same post, you laud Dawn’s healthy players as “panning out and making more contribution“ while criticizing the injured Geno’s players as not contributing as much. Does that seem a little one-sided? Tell me, ever thought about becoming a referee?
I'm sorry but you misread what I said--I said that our injured players are unproven, but not our healthy players who were highly-touted in HS have not panned out yet but SC players are panning out.... Ever thought about being a proof-reader or an editor?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Best to watch video of her games
This was one video that gives a great capsule of her skill & strength -- in a 59-second timespan.

I especially got shivers watching her turn sideways to protect the ball from a close-in defender and push her back by shufflling sideways until getting a layup -- all at full speed. Strong and quick.

Reaction Score
Getting Sarah Strong means a few things.

1. Freshman forward who has the credentials.
2. Like all young Post players at UCONN she will have to figure her way.
3. Versatility in scheme of offense

I hate that are number one or highly ranked recruits face so much pressure. Especially from the fan base. If we have healthy team It could mean a struggle for Sarah getting playing time. Which I think is a good thing. Sarah is in a good position being that our post players only have a season or less experience. If her perimeter game transfers to collegiate level she will be a very valuable weapon as you know Geno covets perimeter play. Defense and rebounding will have to be something she brings to the table.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sadly, Sarah's number 21 is now available for her. :(

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but you misread what I said--I said that our injured players are unproven, but not our healthy players who were highly-touted in HS have not panned out yet but SC players are panning out.... Ever thought about being a proof-reader or an editor?
I’d rather be a referee!:) However, though you did qualify about the injured players, the fact that we did have so many injuries is clearly a major contributing factor that kept us from achieving at the level you seem to think we should have. Sorry about the tortured sentence! I feel like our recruits actually overachieved in light of all those injuries. Do you think Dawn would be holding that trophy if her roster had suffered an equal number of injuries to her highly ranked players?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom