What could have been | The Boneyard

What could have been

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I often think of what could have been for the BE after the first ACC raid. The BE was blindsided and in a very dangerous position, but there was still opportunity.

Here's what I originally though the BE should have done;

2 divisions

WVU --------------- Pitt
USF ---------------- Syracuse
Southern Miss -------- Uconn
UCF ------------------- Rutgers
Cincy ----------------- Louisville
Memphis -------------- Temple

We could have kept the remaining basket ball teams, Seton Hall, GT. Nova, St Johns and ND and added Marquette to make 18 teams.

When you look at the 12 football teams, it really is a nice conference. It's not always about what markets you're in, BE leaders were too focused on the basketball side, too bad so sad.

Reaction Score
There is nothing about that league that keeps SU,Pitt and WVU from going to their respective destinations nor is it as good as the league we will have. And yes it very much is about markets and money and security.

Reaction Score
Temple had just been kicked out of the conference for underperforming, why would they have been immediately invited back before they ever showed any sign of being a serious athletic institution?
Nothing about that lineup would have stabalized the BE, and teams still would have been looking for the next open door.

Reaction Score
There is nothing about that league that keeps SU,Pitt and WVU from going to their respective destinations nor is it as good as the league we will have. And yes it very much is about markets and money and security.

I agree that we disagree.

Reaction Score
I would have tweaked it a bit, but basically I think you hit the concept. It was a focus as much as anything that caused the Big East's problems. In an odd way, it is possible that the new big East will have more stability because I actually htink that the major baksetball powers, Notre Dame, Georgetwon and Villanova, actually get that they will be in the A-10, making A-10 money if the Big East football schools go. They didn't believe it before. Frankly I don't care what happens to Providence, St Johns Seton Hall and DePaul. they SHOULD be in the A-10.

Reaction Score
This doesn't address enough of the root causes of the conference's inherent instability; the conference management's deference to the BB onlies chaired by Notre Dame, the percieved lack of football prestige, an overwhelming preponderance of medium to small (yet well run) athletic programs, small fanbases and almost zero sex appeal.

The only thing it does address is balancing the schedule. Yet when the opportunity came, everyone would still bounce if given the opportunity.

That still includes us by the way.

Reaction Score
This doesn't address enough of the root causes of the conference's inherent instability; the conference management's deference to the BB onlies chaired by Notre Dame, the percieved lack of football prestige, an overwhelming preponderance of medium to small (yet well run) athletic programs, small fanbases and almost zero sex appeal.

The only thing it does address is balancing the schedule. Yet when the opportunity came, everyone would still bounce if given the opportunity.

That still includes us by the way.

This. There has never been a time in the Big EAst's football history where a wave of a magic want, or other quick, easy fix, was solving our problems.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Way to on a posters vision guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This. There has never been a time in the Big EAst's football history where a wave of a magic want, or other quick, easy fix, was solving our problems.

Unless the magic wand came in the form of Penn State, Notre Dame and another "heavy" coming to the conference. Something like that would have shored things up perhaps. Short of that, this thing was doomed.

But of course that would not have happened.

Reaction Score
Temple had just been kicked out of the conference for underperforming, why would they have been immediately invited back before they ever showed any sign of being a serious athletic institution?
Nothing about that lineup would have stabalized the BE, and teams still would have been looking for the next open door.

Please stop with Temple. If Temple is in the mix, the BE is in decline. There was - and still is - a reason Temple was booted out of the conference. Philly - like Boston - is a pro sports town. They're not all that into college sports.

Reaction Score
Please stop with Temple. If Temple is in the mix, the BE is in decline. There was - and still is - a reason Temple was booted out of the conference. Philly - like Boston - is a pro sports town. They're not all that into college sports.

TDH, then why was the BE so interessted in getting Nova to upgrade? There has to be some interest, no?

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're disagreeing or just furthering my point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom