SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
now were not even one of the "big boys"?

In recruiting circles? No. Not that it matters. We've always been a "second tier" destination for recruits. However, the fact that we do not always load up with top 10 guys and instead get guys who stay here 2-3 years minimum is arguably one of the principal reasons we have 4 'ships in the last 16 years.

Reaction Score

Yimmminy! Wenyen shows a whole lotta more more talent than that SF from last year (purged his name from my memory) who disssed us and signed with Shaka twice. Would be sweet...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
In recruiting circles? No. Not that it matters. We've always been a "second tier" destination for recruits. However, the fact that we do not always load up with top 10 guys and instead get guys who stay here 2-3 years minimum is arguably one of the principal reasons we have 4 'ships in the last 16 years.
which, de facto, makes us one of the "big boys"

Reaction Score

Let’s switch gears to the Duke interest if I may, to start, what are your early impressions of them?

It’s the same as other new schools, really. It’s exciting though, especially since me and some family have grown up as Duke fans, but I don’t think that will make me want to go there anymore than other schools.

How long have you and your family been watching them?

Since I was in high school. The family likes to watch them, and my sister is a big fan too, it’s just fun to watch them and I like the way they play.

this is actually written by duke guy so no wonder so much about K + duke.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Kid has his head on straight. Has a goal, is going about the process in the right way to maximize value for him, isn't caught up in the glamour names or incidentals like how long a school has been on him or even the program he's a fan of.

Style fit and Coach are 1/2 for him and we have both in spades plus proxy to family. Even with the blue blood brigade I'm strangely confident here. Dooomed

Reaction Score
I mean Alterique, Mamadou, Myles and Wenyen would be great especially with Larrier joining them. And there's room for more right?

Reaction Score
Kids fall for the Duke thing I'm afraid to say. We're in a battle now for sure let's see how KO comes out of this one!
Just a thought. I wonder how many of these kids might not have Dook at the top or near the top of their lists, but just like people seeing Dook at the top of their list even though they're interest isn't equivalent. IDK. Maybe. Maybe not. With that said, I'm always weary going up against certain programs such as Dook, UNC, UK, KU and Zona, especially when they have more than one of these teams on their short list. Sometimes the domino falls to us. Sometimes a recruit likes us over some of those schools, but in most cases the recruiting stakes are really stacked against us and it's best to focus on more attainable recruits. JC rarely hung in late with recruits that had 2 or more of those programs on their list, and it worked out well for him. With this kid, I really don't know. But he sure sounds like he wants to sell his soul to the devil.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
With this kid, I really don't know. But he sure sounds like he wants to sell his soul to the devil.

There is absolutely no way to come to that conclusion reading the article that was linked. The article was written by a writer for the Duke site and he was trying to bait Gabriel into saying he preferred Duke and he never did. I thought he sounded very level headed, would be making a well thought out decision and didn't have a clue where he would be going to college.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way to come to that conclusion reading the article that was linked. The article was written by a writer for the Duke site and he was trying to bait Gabriel into saying he preferred Duke and he never did. I thought he sounded very level headed, would be making a well thought out decision and didn't have a clue where he would be going to college.
That's good. I didn't even read the article. I was just speaking on what was posted and making some generalizations. There has been a few...a couple...UConn recruits that I thought were quoted on waiting and/or wanting a dook offer. It just often brings pause when a kid wants an offer from dook real bad. I can't remember many, or any, past UConn recruits that wanted a dook offer who in the end came here. Maybe someone remembers one or more who did. Just seems like the type of kid who is attracted to dook is not usually all that high on UConn. Our Husky program is generally built on the backs of under-ranked and often under-the-radar recruits that see PT as something to work hard for and earn. I have no idea what Gabriel is like, so I'm not implying he fits that mold. If he's a tough kid who has that prove you I'm better than you think attitude and prides himself on outworking his oponent, then he'll fit here real nicely.

Reaction Score
The rate at which this kids stock has risen is unreal. Would be a huge statement on the recruiting trail for us to get him

Reaction Score
That's good. I didn't even read the article. I was just speaking on what was posted and making some generalizations. There has been a few...a couple...UConn recruits that I thought were quoted on waiting and/or wanting a dook offer. It just often brings pause when a kid wants an offer from dook real bad. I can't remember many, or any, past UConn recruits that wanted a dook offer who in the end came here. Maybe someone remembers one or more who did. Just seems like the type of kid who is attracted to dook is not usually all that high on UConn. Our Husky program is generally built on the backs of under-ranked and often under-the-radar recruits that see PT as something to work hard for and earn. I have no idea what Gabriel is like, so I'm not implying he fits that mold. If he's a tough kid who has that prove you I'm better than you think attitude and prides himself on outworking his oponent, then he'll fit here real nicely.
Ben Gordon.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
this is actually written by duke guy so no wonder so much about K + duke.
That had to be the lamest answer he coulda gave lol. I'm not sure dook is that high on his list, usually kids go over the top when talking about the dukes and uks

Reaction Score
Crazy numbers for Wenyen so far this weekend @ Addidas Uprising... 2 games.

Wenyen Gabriel

#91 | 6'10
Team AfricaTeam
Statistics

PPG RPG APG PER
25.5. 17.5 2.0. 38.5

Date, Opponent
FGM-FGA, FG%, 3PM-3PA, 3P%, FTM-FTA, FT%, REB, PF, PTS, AST, TO, BLKk STL, MIN

Fri. 7/31/15Team Asia Pacific
9-17, 52.9%, 1-3, 33.3%, 6-12, 50.0%, 12, 2, 25, 1, 3, 4, 0, 37

Sat. 8/1/15USA 2016 Team Wall
11-22, 50.0%, 1-5, 20.0%, 3-5, 60.0%, 23, 4, 26, 3, 6, 1, 2, 40

TOTALS
20-39, 51.5%, 2-8, 26.7%, 9-17, 55.0%, 35, 6, 51, 4, 9, 5, 2, 77

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
That had to be the lamest answer he coulda gave lol. I'm not sure dook is that high on his list, usually kids go over the top when talking about the dukes and uks
Recent talk suggests otherwise. Shame, because we were he first blue blood to show interest in him and beat everyone else to the punch by months, but a Coach K coming off a ship is thought to beat.

Reaction Score
Recent talk suggests otherwise. Shame, because we were he first blue blood to show interest in him and beat everyone else to the punch by months, but a Coach K coming off a ship is thought to beat.
According to whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69