SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why do we automatically lose recruiting battles with puke and slimetucky? Have they won more championships during these kids' lifetimes?

We were the first big name school to show serious interest and he is local and his best friend will be here. But these schools jump in late and just grab him? When we jump in late or so much as show a slight drop in attention to a kid, we have no shot. Is no one else frustrated by this?

Firstly, we don't always lose those recruiting battles. And this one has barely got going!!!

But those two school have an advantage, despite the recent Championship comparison, they are higher profile programs.

Kentucky is viewed nationally, especially among the younger set, as being a direct pipeline to the NBA. Hey they've even got guys like Jay Z and Drake hanging around.
  • Duke is lead by the No 1 coach in America, TOP 5 all time even. Highest exposure of any program. And the icing on the cake: Duke is an extremely well regarded academic institution.
  • Both programs get more hype and exposure on TV with the all the talking heads etc. Kids LOVE hype these days. Marketing your personal brand and all that.
  • Compete for a championship year in, year out.
  • Better conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why are we so shocked that he's excited about blue bloods outside of the northeast offering him? Once reality sets in, Gabriel is gong to realize the magnitude of his decision, and he's going to want to factor in the fit, not just the school. Not saying he will or will not end up here, but we definitely still have a chance.

I agree with this, prospects love big time offers. all of them. wouldn't anybody? what do uconn fans want, gabriel to shun k and cal at events? stiff arm kansas' staff??

Reaction Score
You really don't think our conference affiliation does not hinder our overall recruiting efforts?!? If so, let me have a lil of whatever your smoking. Just because Gilbert decided to join us.. all is well and the AAC will no longer negatively impact us when going against P5 schools?

You're smarter than that Bruce, or am I speaking with Caitlyn?;)

That's very obviously not what I said. There are recruits who are going to be unavailable to us because of our league. This is not one of them. If we get beaten by Duke, it will be because Coach K is better at this than anyone else alive. Of course recruiting would be easier if we were in the ACC or B1G, but that doesn't change the fact that, regardless of conference affiliation, most everybody loses to Duke.

Reaction Score
That's very obviously not what I said. There are recruits who are going to be unavailable to us because of our league. This is not one of them. If we get beaten by Duke, it will be because Coach K is better at this than anyone else alive. Of course recruiting would be easier if we were in the ACC or B1G, but that doesn't change the fact that, regardless of conference affiliation, most everybody loses to Duke.

You really misinterpreted the original post. I don't think Sammy was complaining about the AAC with Gabriel so much as with struggling to land guys that we get in late on, like Paesano mentioned in the last paragraph of his post.

Reaction Score
jesus. if gabriel is a top 20 player in the class, our 2016 commit coming out of NEPSAC is severely underrated

Reaction Score
The conference is something we can no longer offer as a big weapon in recruiting.

If Kevin Ollie were in the ACC I have no doubt he would be able to go toe-to-toe with Coach K on recruits. Everyone else in the conference he would likely be better than.

We'll see how much a factor is that Ollie got in before Coach K and see how that affects the kid.

Kansas, I just don't understand. I know they have a rich history, but recent history is on our side, and personally I would think kids would want to play on the east coast with big cities and big programs than out in Kansas.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not intending this to be a loaded question, but simply asking as a younger poster who did not start following recruiting intensely until around 3-4 years ago. What was our historical track record going up against the Duke/UKs of the world? Were these battles that JC was able to pull out?

Reaction Score
Not intending this to be a loaded question, but simply asking as a younger poster who did not start following recruiting intensely until around 3-4 years ago. What was our historical track record going up against the Duke/UKs of the world? Were these battles that JC was able to pull out?

No and many because JC knew when to play and when to get out of the sand box. He tended to drift more between 30 and above in rankings but when head-to-head for the same guy we aren't winning too many. KO will need to really impress now for Gabriel - he can do it!

Reaction Score
Well, hopefully he remembers which blue blood offered him first over 2 months ago. Not to mention, if memory serves, that we were showing interest in the kid even last winter. We've been on him exponentially longer than any other elite program, and I hope that ends up being a big factor for Gabriel.

EDIT: looked back and saw that we've been on him since at least October, given that he made a visit for First Night.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...n-gabriel-sacha-killeya-jones-make-vegas-leap

The two stars who led their respective teams in the championship game of the Adidas Summer Championships had one thing in common: They were both virtually anonymous a year ago.

Mass Rivals 6-foot-10 big man
Wenyen Gabriel began last summer on Vin Pastore's 'B' squad -- and Gabriel admitted he wasn't ready a year ago. In fact, he was considered a fringe Top 100 player just a few weeks ago. Now Kentucky has offered a scholarship, Duke is on the verge of offering and Gabriel also told ESPN he is heavily considering UConn, Maryland, Texas and Notre Dame. Both the Huskies and Longhorns had their entire staffs courtside for the final game of the summer.

"It's surreal," Gabriel said. "A year ago, I was barely playing. I spent most of my time on the bench."

Reaction Score
As far as the last 10 years or so, Majok vs UK and Roscoe vs Duke would be the only two wins. So as far as a historical track record, you can file in under "not good." Just looking at the past 4 classes UK and Duke pulled in at least one guy from every class had a UConn offer or heavy interest.

Reaction Score
As far as the last 10 years or so, Majok vs UK and Roscoe vs Duke would be the only two wins. So as far as a historical track record, you can file in under "not good." Just looking at the past 4 classes UK and Duke pulled in at least one guy from every class had a UConn offer or heavy interest.

DeAndre had offers from UK and Duke, and was thought to be a lean to both at different times in his recruitment. Still, your point stands.

Reaction Score
Well, hopefully he remembers which blue blood offered him first over 2 months ago. Not to mention, if memory serves, that we were showing interest in the kid even last winter. We've been on him exponentially longer than any other elite program, and I hope that ends up being a big factor for Gabriel.

EDIT: looked back and saw that we've been on him since at least October, given that he made a visit for First Night.
We've been on him a long time, I like our chances.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We could be in the ACC or SEC and still lose most battles with K and Cal. Those programs and their coaches have more cache than we do. And they deserve it. I hope Ollie changes that over the next few years and he is off to a good start.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
One things for certain. Ollie has an eye for talent. That can't go under appreciated. He's been on WG & HamD before they blew up.

With MD & AG in the fold we're off to a great start. I hope these kids value who's been interested & saw their potential from day 1. Rest assured Ollie can see diamonds before they sparkle for everyone. Just like JC could.

Reaction Score
10 key takeaways from the July recruiting period

From our favorite ESPN writer.

7. Wenyen Gabriel's stock is soaring

I love guys who come out of nowhere in the summer, and the poster child for this in the summer of 2016 was Gabriel. Sure, I know people had heard of the 6-foot-10 New Hampshire native, but no one expected him to blow up and attract scholarship offers from the likes of Duke, Kentucky and Kansas. Gabriel was playing for the Mass Rivals “B” team a year ago, and then barely played after he was moved up to the main group. It’s a great example of a kid working hard, not playing the blame game and being rewarded. It will be interesting to see if Gabriel decides to go with one of the big boys who have entered the fray lately, or with one of the schools that have been on him for a while (i.e. UConn, Maryland, Texas, Notre Dame).

Reaction Score
Wenyen Gabriel's unlikely ascent leads to offers from just about everybody, The Sporting News

But now, it's Gabriel's time to shine. After countless hours put in, the results have been fantastic, and there is no doubting his talent now. This fall he held just two offers, Providence and New Hampshire being the schools who saw the writing on the wall. A bright and humble kid off the court, it's clear that Wenyen will be successful in any venture, not just basketball.

Reaction Score
How about a kudos to the PC's, UM's and UConn for knowing the talent within this kid and big deal UK, Duke and Kansas latched on late? What does it really say about those programs?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's like recruits are worthless garbage until the likes of Duke, Kansas and UK give their "blessings" by showing the kid interest.

It's the same reason that guys like Greenburg can say with a straight face that UConn who has a proven stud and fifth year player as well as a Junior McAA, a 5-star Top 25 freshman and one of the best freshman in the country last year in DHam can have a backcourt that's "not in the same league" as the holy freshman from UK. 2 guys, Briscoe and Murray, who are talented no doubt but haven't played a second of college level competition, can be crowned as the best before anyone has seen them. Then people wonder why we lose recruits to them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Gabriel decides to go with one of the big boys who have entered the fray lately, or with one of the schools that have been on him for a while (i.e. UConn, Maryland, Texas, Notre Dame).

now were not even one of the "big boys"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom