SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn coaches out in full force. They just showed the entire staff watching Gabriel. Gabriel has played well. He's got very long arms & quick! Plays hard. He'd be great along Enoch & Diarra in the front court of the future. Very different players, but each could compliment each other very well.

Reaction Score
really like sasha jones upside in this game. seems very skilled offensively and looks like a legit 4

Reaction Score
I have a very hard time seeing Gabriel going to Duke if they land Tatum and Giles, even though both are one and done.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Liked what I've seen from Gabriel. Definitely an ideal stretch 4 who can shoot and defend. Would be very complementary to Enoch and Diarra. Also liked Killeya-Jones who we just offered, really good forward. Will be interesting to see if Ollie turns up the heat on Ashton-Langford. He's gotten a lot of good reviews lately and looked decent today, but lots of PG's on our 17 radar (Waters, El-Amin, Pierre-Louis)

Reaction Score
Choke job by Mass Rivals but Gabriel is the real deal, really want him in a UConn jersey. UConn and Texas staffs were both four deep.

Reaction Score
Bizarre ending. Mass Rivals blows it by being less aggressive at the end of the game, after leading 99% of the game. College coaches have to leave the game before it's over because it's taking too long & extending into the quiet period @ 5pm. Gabriel blows 2 FT's to tie the game with 3 seconds. He had a great game but had a critical foul that gave VA the lead under 2o seconds, then missed his FTs. Overall, he was impressive. Still an odd ending.

Reaction Score
Bizarre ending. Mass Rivals blows it by being less aggressive at the end of the game, after leading 99% of the game. College coaches have to leave the game before it's over because it's taking too long & extending into the quiet period @ 5pm. Gabriel blows 2 FT's to tie the game with 3 seconds. He had a great game but had a critical foul that gave VA the lead under 2o seconds, then missed his FTs. Overall, he was impressive. Still an odd ending.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Wenyen impressed with his effort on both ends and obviously his skill set. His stroke is smooth and only going to get better. Really liked Ashton-Langford, kid got into the lane well... Tough loss for Mass Rivals. That And 1 call was awful towards the end, I don't even think the NBA would've gave that continuation....

Reaction Score
Kentucky has offered so many recently. Dennis Smith, DeAaron fox, Bam Adebayo, Wenyen in just the past few days

Reaction Score
Why do we automatically lose recruiting battles with puke and slimetucky? Have they won more championships during these kids' lifetimes?

We were the first big name school to show serious interest and he is local and his best friend will be here. But these schools jump in late and just grab him? When we jump in late or so much as show a slight drop in attention to a kid, we have no shot. Is no one else frustrated by this?

Reaction Score
I like that Ollie is planting his flag and defending his New England turf. We lost Nerlens Noel quickly (but were on probation that year), and also lost Vonleh and to a lesser extent, Tarzewski (although I don't think we recruited him that hard). Now, KO is ready to fight and will go out swinging. I've never heard of anything player getting the four-deep treatment like this. The correct basketball move is for Wenyan to stay local; let the other boys come at us.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why do we automatically lose recruiting battles with puke and slimetucky? Have they won more championships during these kids' lifetimes?

We were the first big name school to show serious interest and he is local and his best friend will be here. But these schools jump in late and just grab him? When we jump in late or so much as show a slight drop in attention to a kid, we have no shot. Is no one else frustrated by this?
No, because it's not true.

Reaction Score
Nothing to do now but sit back and watch the shot to see how this plays out. All i can say is talent brings talent and i think we have some pretty talented guys pegged to be on our roster next year. He should view Uconn as a place he can come in and compete for a Chip right from day 1. Either way I like being in the fight, win or not. Lets see how this one plays out.

Reaction Score

What are you talking about?

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Duke is his dream school, will be an uphill battle once they offer.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

the-american.jpg

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Why are we so shocked that he's excited about blue bloods outside of the northeast offering him? Once reality sets in, Gabriel is gong to realize the magnitude of his decision, and he's going to want to factor in the fit, not just the school. Not saying he will or will not end up here, but we definitely still have a chance.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
We still doing this? It's Duke. They're out-recruiting everyone right now, including Kentucky. The American just allowed us to beat Louisville for Gilbert.
You really don't think our conference affiliation does not hinder our overall recruiting efforts?!? If so, let me have a lil of whatever your smoking. Just because Gilbert decided to join us....... all is well and the AAC will no longer negatively impact us when going against P5 schools?

You're smarter than that Bruce, or am I speaking with Caitlyn?;)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You really don't think our conference affiliation does not hinder our overall recruiting efforts?!? If so, let me have a lil of whatever your smoking. Just because Gilbert decided to join us.. all is well and the AAC will no longer negatively impact us when going against P5 schools?

You're smarter than that Bruce, or am I speaking with Caitlyn?;)
Hamilton, purvis, adams, larrier, gilbert all within Ollie's first couple years. What K has going for him is not the conference but himself, Duke, and a big factor coaching team usa. Ollie's killing it and he's not taking his foot off

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Hamilton, purvis, adams, larrier, gilbert all within Ollie's first couple years. What K has going for him is not the conference but himself, Duke, and a big factor coaching team usa. Ollie's killing it and he's not taking his foot off
I agree with that, all I'm saying is our conference is a negative in the eyes of big time recruits. That's not to say other aspects of UConn can't overcome that negative (because we have) but that does not negate the fact that us being in the AAC is something we must overcome. I would love to hear the argument that being in AAC is a positive, because I can't see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom