SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe he knows something we don't(mentioning Duke doesn't really require inside info) but I literally haven't heard Zona mentioned once with Gabriel, seems hella random.

Given how many new offers he's gotten recently, it doesn't strike me as that odd that Arizona would get involved.

Reaction Score
Involved? Yea to be expected, just surprised to see them mentioned as a leader.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Not really a surprise. Despite being allergic to winning big games as a program, Arizona still has tier 1 recruiting pull, moreso than us is say.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not really a surprise. Despite being allergic to winning big games as a program, Arizona still has tier 1 recruiting pull, moreso than us is say.

Maybe Sean Miller happens to be a very good recruiter? Every time a recruit prioritizes another school over us, you don't have to whine about how much it doesn't make sense for kids to keep going to such inferior programs. Recruits see the game through a very different lens than any of us do.

Reaction Score
Maybe Sean Miller happens to be a very good recruiter? Every time a recruit prioritizes another school over us, you don't have to whine about how much it doesn't make sense for kids to keep going to such inferior programs. Recruits see the game through a very different lens than any of us do.

Yep and the fact he is recruiting from a venue which would attract kids for sure. Sean seems like a players coach for sure much like KO, I can see that more than K jumping no the bandwagon late. But hey we've done the same right and won? Happens

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think we might want to do ourselves a favor and move on here. Disappointing, but that's how these things go sometimes.

Agreed. No matter how good of a recruiter Ollie is, he can't compete with these big time schools in awesome conferences. If we were in the Big 10 or AAC, Ollie would be able to recruit up there with anyone.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
At what point did I whine about kids going to inferior programs? Please, cite one example. I'm literally giving insight to the poster above me who is perplexed by how Arizona is in the mix despite what he originally thought.

You know Stairmaster, it IS possible to not hit the "reply" button once in a whole with hopes of setting someone else straight with your superior intellect. You and BigErn both.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Agreed. No matter how good of a recruiter Ollie is, he can't compete with these big time schools in awesome conferences. If we were in the Big 10 or AAC, Ollie would be able to recruit up there with anyone.
I get that our conference doesn't help us, but this just isn't true. Less than a month ago we beat out Louisville and other P5 schools from AG. The only reason why I'm surprised, and am calling major BS, on Arizona being a leader is because of how much we've heard that WG is looking for a school with academics. Arizona is a lot of things, nice weather, campus and women, but they're not exactly known throughout the country as being a premire destination for academics.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
At what point did I whine about kids going to inferior programs? Please, cite one example. I'm literally giving insight to the poster above me who is perplexed by how Arizona is in the mix despite what he originally thought.

You know Stairmaster, it IS possible to not hit the "reply" button once in a whole with hopes of setting someone else straight with your superior intellect. You and BigErn both.

"Despite being allergic to winning big games" --> pretty clear attempt to assert their inferiority in comparison to UConn/voice your astonishment that we get beat out by such a program. If you really wanted to give straight insight without commentary as to why AZ was recruiting him, you could've just said that Gabriel's currently playing at a pretty major tournament with a bunch of college coaches in attendance. But the sky has to keep falling.

Reaction Score
I would not worry or think of moving on, just let it play out and trust KO to get the guys we need.

Reaction Score
"Despite being allergic to winning big games" --> pretty clear attempt to assert their inferiority in comparison to UConn/voice your astonishment that we get beat out by such a program. If you really wanted to give straight insight without commentary as to why AZ was recruiting him, you could've just said that Gabriel's currently playing at a pretty major tournament with a bunch of college coaches in attendance. But the sky has to keep falling.
Who cares, Arizona is an inferior program to UConn. Why does this get your panties in a bunch?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Yes, sports fans make jokes and poke fun at their rivals. That doesn't imply whining or an inherent jealousy like you are doing mental jumping jacks to claim I did. If I said the same thing about Syracuse, would that make me jealous?

As for this great line "If you really wanted to give straight insight without commentary as to why AZ was recruiting him, you could've just said that Gabriel's currently playing at a pretty major tournament with a bunch of college coaches in attendance", what kind of insight would this gem provide? Your grasping at straws Stair, do us a favor and sit a few plays out.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yes, sports fans make jokes and poke fun at their rivals. That doesn't imply whining or an inherent jealousy like you are doing mental jumping jacks to claim I did. If I said the same thing about Syracuse, would that make me jealous?

As for this great line "If you really wanted to give straight insight without commentary as to why AZ was recruiting him, you could've just said that Gabriel's currently playing at a pretty major tournament with a bunch of college coaches in attendance", what kind of insight would this gem provide? Your grasping at straws Stair, do us a favor and sit a few plays out.

I get it, you don't like being called out on your BS. Fair enough, have a good evening.

Reaction Score

What is so hard to grasp about this? I'm not surprised that a school like Zona can be in the mix for someone like Gabriel, i'm surprised they were mentioned as a leader because I have heard zero mention of any involvement with him. When Duke, Kansas, UK offered you got all the recruiting gurus and cbb writers oohing and ahhing, them making note of those coaches watching him in Vegas, but I don't remember reading any of the same with Zona/Miller. That's all it is, this really shouldn't be that hard.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hate it when people paint every picture with such a huge brush.
"he can't compete" is so over the top
he may find himself fighting an uphill battle at times but he can compete
in college bball - UConn is a top 10 school - UConn is big time
and the last time I looked UConn is in the AAC

Reaction Score
Gabriel looking good so far., very active, quick & athletic. He had a rough 4th game after being on fire the first 3 games. He's extremely lanky, almost Donyell like. He needs to gain a lot of weight, but once he does, look out. Kid could be a force at like 230 lbs. Would be a great addition to our frontcourt with Enoch & Mamadou!

Reaction Score
Gabriel looks great. He had a short interview after the half and seemed pretty mature for a kid. Reasonably well spoken and he seems to already know all the sports clichés. The interviewer asked him what he needed to improve on and he said rebounding and defense. Sounds like a win to me.

Reaction Score
Gabriel looks great. He had a short interview after the half and seemed pretty mature for a kid. Reasonably well spoken and he seems to already know all the sports clichés. The interviewer asked him what he needed to improve on and he said rebounding and defense. Sounds like a win to me.

Spot on! I want smart kids on our team. Gabriel seems very smart. This kid gets it. Very talented & athletic. He's going far in basketball & I hope it with UConn.

Reaction Score
I'd take anything that Trigonis says with a major grain of salt. Dude has connections in AAU, but almost always has an agenda.

Reaction Score
Seeing Gabriel grab a rebound, take a dribble behind his back to elude a defender and throw a half court bounce pass on point was pretty special. Not something I knew he had.

Reaction Score
Watching a replay of the game. Wow! Gabriel is a big time talent. Way better than his ranking. I know that KO was in on him early and he's visited UConn a few of times. He's a case where he's blowing up big time and could become out of reach. I hope KO has developed a special relationship with him, enough to beat out all the blue chip programs that are trying to get in on him. He's going to be special. He's a true stretch 4 who can drive it inside, defend the paint and score from outside. What impressed me the most is his motor is always going and he has a plus-handle for a kid his size. Looks like he has an impressive wingspan. Not much I didn't like about him. I hope we land him, but his play has caused a huge stir with lots of programs wanting in on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom