SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pretty much the only "insider" on the PC board is RichardCoren so if he wasn't making the claim, I don't put any stock into it.

Reaction Score
He's been to campus multiple times with the Rivals crew. I think he came for First Night last year if I'm not mistaken (I might be).

I think you're correct, at least it was reported that way at the time. In a recent article Amore said that Wenyen's been to campus twice.

There have been a lot of recruiting complaints in the past that we're not in solidly enough on the AAU scene. Whatever happens with Wenyen, worth noting that the Mass Rivals squad (Adams, Gabriel, Langford) has been to campus a number of times. That would be a very nice pipeline to have.

Reaction Score
OMG he's been on another campus?!?!? We're done!!!!!! Loosen up. Let's see what happens

Reaction Score
I have confidence he will come here. He seems like a smart kid who will take all visits to survey his options. obviously he's been heere but there are things you see on an official that you don't on just a regular visit

Reaction Score
I have confidence he will come here. He seems like a smart kid who will take all visits to survey his options. obviously he's been heere but there are things you see on an official that you don't on just a regular visit

? Is it ?

Or is that something you see on an unofficial but don't see on an official?

We need Jesus Shuttlesworth on the staff to tell these kids that the breastses on campus are better than Dukie boobies, even if its a lie, the guy can act, or at least he could years ago

Reaction Score
The kid is going to be good, he needs work and I'd love him on our team without a doubt. He will probably not see the court as a frosh at Duke because that's Coach K. By his soph year he will be recruited over by a one and done and the 10 minutes a game will make him wonder what to do.

Call Alex Murphy and a few others Wenyen, it's the way of the world especially when you're an afterthought. UK - ditto.

Not the same in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Storrs is where you go to develop your game for the next level. The others you go to to hide your rough edges on the bench, ala James Young. Don't get me wrong, it works out for you as it did with Young, but he has done himself no favors in terms of development. All that talent. His first contract was good as the 16th pick, but who knows what his next contract will be like.

The kids that play early and go to the NBA from those schools are clear one and dones. UConn has had them with Andre Drummond, and Andre didn't develop a great deal in his one year at UConn either, but he had a lot of playing time. I am not saying UConn is any different as to how it treats its one and dones--it has had so few of them, and they pretty much played like the very gifted players elsewhere.

But there is a difference between the more raw players yet to develop who get that time at UConn and the ones who sit elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Storrs is where you go to develop your game for the next level. The others you go to to hide your rough edges on the bench, ala James Young.

Go check out James Young's stats.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don't think Gabriel is a one and done anyway unless he adds significant muscle or tightens his handle a great deal over the next year. I'm getting a gut feeling that were quickly falling out of this race though.

Reaction Score
Go check out James Young's stats.

3 pts a game and 300 minutes over the season.

Doesn't this reinforce what I am saying?

He is very physically talented. A good shooter. Which is why he was drafted so high despite sitting half the game at Kentucky as a freshman. He didn't develop much there. This isn't a knock so much on Calipari's ability to teach basketball as it is a knock on what happens at a school with 10 NBA prospects on the team.

Young needs to quickly develop in the pros because that second contract is 18 months away.

Reaction Score
I don't think Gabriel is a one and done anyway unless he adds significant muscle or tightens his handle a great deal over the next year. I'm getting a gut feeling that were quickly falling out of this race though.
We aren't

Reaction Score

He is very physically talented. A good shooter. Which is why he was drafted so high despite sitting half the game at Kentucky as a freshman. He didn't develop much there. This isn't a knock so much on Calipari's ability to teach basketball as it is a knock on what happens at a school with 10 NBA prospects on the team.

Young needs to quickly develop in the pros because that second contract is 18 months away.

He played 32 mpg. a game in college and averaged 14 points. Not quite "hiding on the bench."

Reaction Score

James Young played plenty of minutes at Kentucky. There was no platoon that year (or any year other than last year).

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
James Young has the same big problem he had in college: He plays no defense. The Celtics fugured he had the size and athleticism to play average to better D, but it hasn't materialized.

There is no point in letting him play and adjust on offense while being a matador on the other end when you're trying to win (I would argue that they should be tanking anyway but I digress).

Lots of players leave early because they know they'll get taken early. The decision isn't solely about whether you feel ready or not to play at the next level. College, IMO, is a way better place to develop than the D League or tucked completely away on an NBA bench like Lamb was.

If you're eager to just go pro based on your ceiling and are confident in yourself, Kentucky easily could be your best option. But for a guy like Gabriel who likely will need time to develop his skill level and body, staying in school will likely help him in the long run, even if it is only a two year college stint. Duke, Maryland, UConn, or even Providence with Dunn to play with as a freshman would be good choices for that. Kentucky isn't the school for players in need of development though IMO; it's a place for the guys that wouldn't have gone to college a decade ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
James Young has the same big problem he had in college: He plays no defense. The Celtics fugured he had the size and athleticism to play average to better D, but it hasn't materialized.

There is no point in letting him play and adjust on offense while being a matador on the other end when you're trying to win (I would argue that they should be tanking anyway but I digress).

Lots of players leave early because they know they'll get taken early. The decision isn't solely about whether you feel ready or not to play at the next level. College, IMO, is a way better place to develop than the D League or tucked completely away on an NBA bench like Lamb was.

If you're eager to just go pro based on your ceiling and are confident in yourself, Kentucky easily could be your best option. But for a guy like Gabriel who likely will need time to develop his skill level and body, staying in school will likely help him in the long run, even if it is only a two year college stint. Duke, Maryland, UConn, or even Providence with Dunn to play with as a freshman would be good choices for that. Kentucky isn't the school for players in need of development though IMO; it's a place for the guys that wouldn't have gone to college a decade ago.

I'd be pretty shocked if Kris Dunn were still in college when Wenyen Gabriel is a freshman.

Reaction Score
Theres a good chance gabriel wont need much time develop on a college campus. There are plenty of players who are slightt of frame in the league based on their height + skill level + ATH, see giannis antetekoumpo. If gabriel were to come to uconn he would still be a rebounding machine and shot blocker immediately. He is just crazy fast and fast twitch for his size, lots of second jump ability. as well as ball handling to bust out into the open floor.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I'd be pretty shocked if Kris Dunn were still in college when Wenyen Gabriel is a freshman.
Same that's why I added that stipulation. He won't end up at Providence, that was just my best attempt at being unbiased.

Reaction Score
Ah, I thought you meant in the pros.

what? you said he sat half the bench at UK, he didn't, that UK team didn't go really all that deep into their bench like they did this past season.

Reaction Score

It also doesn't help that he can't shoot when his biggest strength is supposedly his, ya know, shooting.

Reaction Score
what? you said he sat half the bench at UK, he didn't, that UK team didn't go really all that deep into their bench like they did this past season.

I was replying to him saying look at his stats.

So I looked up the NBA stats.

I was obviously wrong about his UK year.

Reaction Score
I graduated HS with his sister (who ended up at BC). My father (who is the assistant principle at said HS) is under the impression that Wenyen's older brother (same HS grad) is "running" the family. Their family came over from Sudan, I am not sure if the parents are in the picture or what. I don't know anything more about Wenyen than anyone here but can say for certain that his family is "good people." The HS stressed a family environment and as far as I know both of his older siblings valued that - hope it bodes well for Ollie and UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom