We Play Cincinnati Tomorrow | The Boneyard

We Play Cincinnati Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For 36 hours or so, I'm not going to worry about realignment. We have a football game to play. It will be the last time our seniors ever put on the pads at home, and if we don't win for many ever. We have a bowl bid on the line, and the chance yet to have a winning season. And, while winning hasn't done much to our perception, winning has to be part of changing it going forward and it has to start now. Win and maybe a game against WVU at Yankee Stadium happens, where we get to show people that our fans can be enthusiastic at a neutral site game and that we can beat what is perceived as a "real" team. So win the damn game.

Four keys to the game:

1. Emotion. I think that this will, by far, be the biggest. On the one hand, Cincy is playing for a share of a Big East Championship, and maybe a trip to Orlando. On the other, they are dealing with the rumors not just that there coach is leaving but that he's actually focusing on it during the regular season. For us, do they play like they took a punch in the stomach over realignment? Or like they are playing for their lives, at home, on senior day, and with the confidence that they've won two straight.

2. Turnovers. I think we're a minus 12 or so for the year. I think Cincy is a plus 3 or 4. We turned it over a lot earlier in the season. The last few games, our turnover margin is being caused less by turning it over, as we've cut way back, but more by a shocking inability to generate takeaways. Maybe some of that is based on schemes and the players, but I cling to the hope that a lot of it is just bad luck, and that we've got a day coming where the other team turns it over 3 or 4 times. Make it tomorrow. Please.

3. Their running game. The best and most consistent part of their team this year has been their running game. We have, overall, been very strong at stopping the opponents running game and, in about half the games, have been devastating against the opponents running game. I think you'll know after one quarter how this is going. If they can't run for 100 yards against us tomorrow, they are going to have to find a new way to win. If they run for over 150 against us, we only win with a Cincy turnover meltdown.

4. Score first. In our 5 wins, I think we've led basically the whole way in all of them. I may be forgetting something, but I'm not sure we were ever behind in any of them. In our 6 losses, not counting Temple, I think we were behind the whole way in each of them. So in 10 of 11 games, scoring first has meant a win and giving up the first score has meant a loss. Ten of Eleven. Enough said.

The two most important are the emotion and containing their running game. And they are not unrelated. Go Dogs.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good post. Throw in a few first downs in the second half to keep our D from sucking wind in the 4th quarter like they were against UL.

I'm so fired up for this game! It feels good to be excited for a game again. I hated my earlier season apathy.

Reaction Score
Where's the best place to find scalpers in case I can't get a ticket?

Reaction Score
Thanks. I needed a pep talk after the misery this week.

FWIW, I think we win tomorrow.

Reaction Score

You ask this every week. Why don't you just buy a ticket at the box office at face value? Support the school.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Wave a dollar bill in the air at your tailgate. I'm sure a scalper will find you. There will be empty seats tomorrow, as much as I don't want to admit it or think it.

Reaction Score
Wave a dollar bill in the air at your tailgate. I'm sure a scalper will find you. There will be empty seats tomorrow, as much as I don't want to admit it or think it.
Considering the temperature outside, it is likely. I ain't waving any dollar bills.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Considering the temperature outside, it is likely. I ain't waving any dollar bills.

Do you think you can get a ticket with a 50 cent piece? Actually, you just might.

Reaction Score
Do you think you can get a ticket with a 50 cent piece? Actually, you just might.

We brought a buddy and his kid to the Temple game this year (ugh) without tickets. Walked down our row in the lot asking if anyone had extras and were given 2 tickets. Guy didn't want money but we threw him $20 anyway. You'll be fine Butch.

Reaction Score
Walked down our row in the lot asking if anyone had extras and were given 2 tickets. Guy didn't want money but we threw him $20 anyway. You'll be fine Butch.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll get drunk and ask.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn 24 - Cincy 17. Welcome to the Dog Pound, you queen-city bi#ches!!!

Dooley

Reaction Score
I actually have a good feeling about tomorrow too (first time all year). I think this team has some juice and may be energized by being passed over by other conferences. I think UConn wins 20-17

Reaction Score
I'm actually more concerned with our running game and o-line. If we can establish some running lanes and win the line of scrimmage, should win the game. Hopefully some 2nd half pts will come about as well. Not sure how good Cincy's D is but I know they lost some key players from last year. Pound them into submission like the good ole days..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom