We miss daniels | The Boneyard

We miss daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Daniels wouldve been a star this year and our second 20 point scorer and three pt shooter. In this weaker draft--the possibility of moving his stock up into the teens or low 20's shouldve been high. Daniels wouldve created space and took off pressure for others--and he wasn't replaceable. He took his second ourn pick and is playing professionally in Australia--but I bet if he had it over again--he wouldve stayed to get his degree did what Napier did and got into the 1st round(most likely) The rush to get to the NBA when youre not ready is sad. I could see Daniels really improving this year especially as a ssnior

Reaction Score
It would have been great to have him, but we really need a second ball handler. Also, he would be taking minutes away from Facey and Hamilton, the only other two players that are excelling consistently. Unless we put Facey at center, Daniels at PF and Hamilton at SF

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He would have helped, that's for sure. If he stayed Facey loses minutes, so there's a silver lining to his leaving, but it would sure be sweet to have a three point threat, another big to throw to down low, more rebounds and a proven scorer to take some of the load/heat off of Boat?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Even though Facey was very good last night, I think with Daniels UConn would've beat Dook last night.

Reaction Score
True, but the OP's point makes sense. Deandre would have made a huge difference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
True, but the OP's point makes sense. Deandre would have made a huge difference.

In a vacuum, yes. But that does not consider the wishes of the athlete. Daniels had nothing more to prove at the college level and his tournament performance vaulted his value to the highest it would ever be. While fans can be selfish with regards to their teams, this is not a video game and coming back to school could only hurt him.

Reaction Score
In a vacuum, yes. But that does not consider the wishes of the athlete. Daniels had nothing more to prove at the college level and his tournament performance vaulted his value to the highest it would ever be. While fans can be selfish with regards to their teams, this is not a video game and coming back to school could only hurt him.

Well he is making 100k which is nice to play basketball. If he moved up to an 18 pick this year--he wouldve made 1.5mm next year. Napier probably couldve been a rd 2 pick 2 but he stayed and got much more compensation. I think he left money a degree a lot of fun and a chance to repeat as a champ on th table vs. playing for a nice salary but certainly nothing that alters the course of a life. I mean it cost 40-50k just to go to school each year. I think u stay for the degree and try to up your stock vs a 2nd round pick.

---->Daniels had nothing more to prove at the college level and his tournament performance vaulted his value to the highest it would ever be

Are you Nostradamus? So pick 37 of rd 2 was his peak--have you seen the draft board this year--a good year by Daniels and hes sitting 16-25 easy.

Reaction Score
I think the OPs point was that he made a mistake by going early, and most of us don't agree.

I think we all agree that he would be a game changer, the help he provides in blocking shots in the paint, grabbing rebounds, playing the 3 so tall and lanky change things

Reaction Score
I think the OPs point was that he made a mistake by going early, and most of us don't agree.

I think we all agree that he would be a game changer, the help he provides in blocking shots in the paint, grabbing rebounds, playing the 3 so tall and lanky change things

Its a done deal--you're right. The only problem I see is Deandre devalued himself when he had Napier as a model right in front of him. Lets be honest--he probably wouldve upticked in play and at 6-9 with this weak draft--were talking big mistake. Someone probably said he had a chance at late rd 1 early 2 and he went with it. He also couldve taken out a multi million $ insurance policy on himself got his degree had a big year and get drafted 17. He under sold himself.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Its a done deal--you're right. The only problem I see is Deandre devalued himself when he had Napier as a model right in front of him. Lets be honest--he probably wouldve upticked in play and at 6-9 with this weak draft--were talking big mistake. Someone probably said he had a chance at late rd 1 early 2 and he went with it. He also couldve taken out a multi million $ insurance policy on himself got his degree had a big year and get drafted 17. He under sold himself.
For someone who accused someone else of playing Nostradamus, you sure are confident in your predictions.

Reaction Score
Deandre was never very consistent and it would of been that way this year as well. Most games he would get 6-10 pts and a few games would hit 15-20.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well he is making 100k which is nice to play basketball. If he moved up to an 18 pick this year--he wouldve made 1.5mm next year. Napier probably couldve been a rd 2 pick 2 but he stayed and got much more compensation. I think he left money a degree a lot of fun and a chance to repeat as a champ on th table vs. playing for a nice salary but certainly nothing that alters the course of a life. I mean it cost 40-50k just to go to school each year. I think u stay for the degree and try to up your stock vs a 2nd round pick.

---->Daniels had nothing more to prove at the college level and his tournament performance vaulted his value to the highest it would ever be

Are you Nostradamus? So pick 37 of rd 2 was his peak--have you seen the draft board this year--a good year by Daniels and hes sitting 16-25 easy.
1. $100,000 > $0 for 2014-2015. Next year will take care of itself and if Daniels plays well (it looks like he is), so will the money. Must be nice to be in a position to conclude that $100k is not life altering to a 22 year old.

2. Vince Carter graduated from UNC (or did he? He at least walked in the ceremony) after he was drafted. In other words, leaving school early does not preclude a degree.

3. I can't be Nostradamus. You apparently already hold the position. How do you know Daniels will be drafted 18? How do you know he won't get hurt? Insurance policies cost money. Does Daniels have it? In order to cash in on an insurance policy, Daniels IS precluded from ever playing professional basketball ever again. That's a pretty long time. I would know. I got married. "Forever" is actually longer than "'Til death do us part." Would Daniels be prepared to do that? I don't know definitely, but I tend to think not, seeing as he declared for the draft. I also think his support circle (that included Kevin Ollie and Jim Calhoun) laid out all of his options prior to the declaration date. These are just my opinions because as you demonstrate, I'm not Nostradamus.

You use Napier as an example of someone who could have left early and get drafted #2 in the 2nd round. Napier was the conference player of the year and the best point guard in the country (Cousy Award) and you estimate his stock increased by 13 picks. How does Daniels' increase by 30? He probably would have had to have a season of Glenn Robinson proportions. Besides that, Napier staying was more about his promise to his mother that he would get his degree.

Whatever...Go ahead and begrudge a young man his future just because the college team for which you root is 4-4. That's fair.

Reaction Score
scrappy2.0 said:

CJ Fair - a similar tweener to DD - came back for his senior year and went undrafted, despite an uptick in his play. Ennis - a similar player to Napier - went before Bazz after only one year.

Just no guarantees. Sometimes all you do is get older.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even though Facey was very good last night, I think with Daniels UConn would've beat Dook last night.
It's a dramatically different game with him. The attention that he'd draw would open things up for everyone.

Reaction Score
happy for DD but I believe it would have been best for everyone if he stayed. But as stated above things occasionally go the wrong way too so it is what it is!

But we can dream of him being the 4 with DHam the 3 - the answers change dramatically and so does the space.

Now the downside, Facey doesn't get to grow like he will this year and be what he will be end of the year and the 2 years after! It all works out in the long run

Reaction Score
People need to move on already. Daniels did what's best for him and applaud him for his effort here. What happened to one of the deepest teams in UConn history this year? A couple of these players need to step up their game and not live on past accomplishments. We have enough to win it all but the way we are playing its a long shot. The help is going to come from within and not any would've could've should've.

Reaction Score
People need to move on already. Daniels did what's best for him and applaud him for his effort here. What happened to one of the deepest teams in UConn history this year? A couple of these players need to step up their game and not live on past accomplishments. We have enough to win it all but the way we are playing its a long shot. The help is going to come from within and not any would've could've should've.

Even with all of the ridiculous hyperbole on this board I don't remember anyone ever saying that. They only have 10 scholarship players to begin with.

Reaction Score
Would we prefer a "OT" or a "what if" on this board. It's all in fun, if you don't like it don't read it!

Reaction Score
DD got bad advice in the spring and I don't care who gave it to him. He was a sometimes spectacular player, often inconsistent. Had he come back and demonstrated he could consistently bring that NBA game he'd have been drafted higher this June . . . If he couldn't, well no one will know anyway since he's out in the outback.

Called it in the spring, sticking by it. Big mistake DD. stay in school. G'day mate. Crocodile Dun Daniels.

Reaction Score
Even with all of the ridiculous hyperbole on this board I don't remember anyone ever saying that. They only have 10 scholarship players to begin with.
You might not have said it but I've read it before. A lot of people looking for excuses for players struggling instead of saying they're not good enough yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom