Watching Uconn games from the pre Calhoun era. | The Boneyard

Watching Uconn games from the pre Calhoun era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only reason why the 81-82 team had a winning season (the last winning season of the Perno era) was because they were led by 3 good seniors in Thompson, Alexenias, and Mckay all were draft picks, Karl Hobbs was a more talented version of Tsam and a less talented Boatright similar size and scrappiness. I had no idea Tom Obrien was on our bench.

Going forward to the 84-85 season I'm a little confused why the 3 pointer wasn't in existence still but in some gyms there was a 3 point line, if anyone can explain that I would appreciate it.

Im trying to watch every game in chronological order it keeps things into perspective and its more interesting that way.

Reaction Score
ABA cities? They folded mid-70's though.

So they were just too lazy to remove the 3 point line lol, the Civic Center had the 3 point line though thats probably because the Celtics played their 2 games a year there.

Reaction Score
NBA adopted it a few years after ABA folded so you're likely right re HCC. College conferences adopted it piecemeal around the same timeframe.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Enjoy the Terrance Warren Era. :eek:

Reaction Score
Kelley was in a couple of my classes. Think I saw him attending twice all year.

Reaction Score
Just such a great job the guys did to be able to watch these games at huskygames. I am pleased to say I had those old games on beta max tapes that predated VHS tapes, and they were able to post them to the site, and, they came out well after 35 years. Ewing as a freshman, Raff doing the games as a youngster, even some of the same refs that have been important in the 2000s. Pitino as the coach of BU. Stormin Norman Bailey who I didn't remember as being such a poor ball handler, and our big 3 you mention that were really good. In the telecast they mention that we had already beaten Ewing lead Georgetown earlier in the year. As an aside, physically, Vern Giscomb is a good comparable to Tremont Waters, for those who remember Giscomb but have not yet seen Waters. Glad somebody is enjoying the old games.

And, my wife was supposed to tutor Kelley on a couple occasions and he never showed, so that info is likely spot on.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder what Calhoun would have done with that 81-82 team. It was very talented. For that matter if Calhoun had Thompson and McKay for 4 years....wow.

Chuck is dead to me ever since someone posted that lists himself as a UK player and ignores his UConn career. I have to say, though, he was good guy in college.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder what Calhoun would have done with that 81-82 team. It was very talented. For that matter if Calhoun had Thompson and McKay for 4 years....wow.

Chuck is dead to me ever since someone posted that lists himself as a UK player and ignores his UConn career. I have to say, though, he was good guy in college.

Without offering the exact team he would've done a lot better, actually even with the same guys. But the guards just weren't Top 20 (wasn't 25 then) caliber I'm afraid. Dulin, Clay, Disco Sullivan, who am I missing?

Reaction Score
The only reason why the 81-82 team had a winning season (the last winning season of the Perno era) was because they were led by 3 good seniors in Thompson, Alexenias, and Mckay all were draft picks, Karl Hobbs was a more talented version of Tsam and a less talented Boatright similar size and scrappiness. I had no idea Tom Obrien was on our bench.

Going forward to the 84-85 season I'm a little confused why the 3 pointer wasn't in existence still but in some gyms there was a 3 point line, if anyone can explain that I would appreciate it.

Im trying to watch every game in chronological order it keeps things into perspective and its more interesting that way.
Karl Hobbs was more or a true PG than Boatright ,I think he lead the team in assists all four years. Ryan was a much better shooter.
Both had greats handles and Karl might have even been a bit shorter.
If you pan the crowd you might see a much younger version of me with my then 10 year old son with my Buddies some of who are no longer around. Great memories.even if some were painful loses. It was UConn in the big time. That was huge for us fans.
Interestingl if you look at Perno's years we were seldom blown out ,in fact we actually lead in a bunch of those games. The Joke was how does Perno manage to figure out a way to lose all those games I remember one Georgetown game were all we had to do was inbound the ball and we win. They stole the inbound pass scored and defeat was again snatched out of the jaws of victory.
Dom was a Yankee Conference coach swimming with the big boys.
That situation was soon rectified.

Reaction Score
Karl Hobbs was more or a true PG than Boatright ,I think he lead the team in assists all four years. Ryan was a much better shooter.
Both had greats handles and Karl might have even been a bit shorter.
If you pan the crowd you might see a much younger version of me with my then 10 year old son with my Buddies some of who are no longer around. Great memories.even if some were painful loses. It was UConn in the big time. That was huge for us fans.
Interestingl if you look at Perno's years we were seldom blown out ,in fact we actually lead in a bunch of those games. The Joke was how does Perno manage to figure out a way to lose all those games I remember one Georgetown game were all we had to do was inbound the ball and we win. They stole the inbound pass scored and defeat was again snatched out of the jaws of victory.
Dom was a Yankee Conference coach swimming with the big boys.
That situation was soon rectified.

Was Hobbsie still there for Corny's senior year with Chuck and Mike? I could've sworn Dulin was the lead guard for the team which upset the Cuse at the New Haven Coliseum?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Without offering the exact team he would've done a lot better, actually even with the same guys. But the guards just weren't Top 20 (wasn't 25 then) caliber I'm afraid. Dulin, Clay, Disco Sullivan, who am I missing?
First, that's damn near blasphemy regarding Dulin. Pretty sure Hobbsy and Vern Giscombe were guards 81-82.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only reason why the 81-82 team had a winning season (the last winning season of the Perno era) was because they were led by 3 good seniors in Thompson, Alexenias, and Mckay ...

That team lost 7 out of it's last 8 games. Combine that with fact that he couldn't recruit worth a damn after the Corny class, any decent AD would have handed Perno his walking papers right there. Instead, he got four more years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So they were just too lazy to remove the 3 point line lol, the Civic Center had the 3 point line though thats probably because the Celtics played their 2 games a year there.

Not to pick on you, but the C's played 3 games a year at the HCC. And it was Jim O'Brien on the bench as the top assistant.

Reaction Score
Hobbs is tiny. Literally like 5'7". Boat is 3" taller and far, far more athletic.

Reaction Score
Hobbs is tiny. Literally like 5'7". Boat is 3" taller and far, far more athletic.

Agree but Karl was a better "pure" PG too.

I still don't think Vern and Karl were on the roster when Corny and gang took Cuse at NHCC. Maybe frosh I guess?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ahh, fond memories.

Mike McKay was my first "favorite" Husky. Guy was good and yes Calhoun would have pushed to make him better.

Reaction Score
81-82 is about the time I started watching and falling in love with UCONN bball even though it was all hearbreak.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reading this thread is like listening to my Grandpa recount popular culture in his 1940s youth. So many names and events I've never heard of. God bless you old heads keeping the history alive!

5633116.30fbe0eb.640.jpg

(no, C is not for Connecticut - if anyone's confused)

Oh and I randomly came across this for sale on eBay:
$(KGrHqZ,!qgFF5ClCvC6BRmoNlnm5!~~60_12.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member