watching Huggy talk to the officials from 1 hour before opening tip | The Boneyard

watching Huggy talk to the officials from 1 hour before opening tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
to one hour after the game, I've come to appreciate why so many people hated Jim Calhoun when he would do likewise

This man never stopped. Every time the camera was on him, he was talking to an official, every time out, every free throw, every time one ran by him, every call, he talks to the officials more than he talks to his team

and no no no no no, I'm not blaming the officials for our miserable game, I'll actually give Huggy a lot of credit for that.

I just had to get this off of my chest. Seems to me they should tell him to stop distracting them and eventually T him up if he doesn't stop.

Reaction Score
Yeah i had an issue when they were up ten and getting lots of calls to go their way, what was he possibly saying?

They played their frenetic frantic D all over us and were rarely called for touch fouls, so if he had an issue, he's a bigger fatter than I thought

Personally not troubled by the loss, they looked great. We missed tons of chances, tons of hittable shots, tons of free throws. We showed some skill and some flashes at times, definitely a game we could have won. If it means we can beat Texas/Duke, I'll take the L here

Reaction Score
I like Huggy and he's a lot like JC in many ways! Think they had quite the mutual respect for each other too.

willie99

Reaction Score
my daughter, who loves Ollie, was screaming for him to start working the officials like Huggy (and JC). I keep telling her that's not Ollie and we're never going to change him just like we were never going to change JC for whatever shortcomings some people felt he had (he was perfect in my world :))

they're successful and we love the success, we'll just have to let them be who they are :cool: (for now)

Reaction Score
I like Huggy and he's a lot like JC in many ways! Think they had quite the mutual respect for each other too.
He seemed to have taken a long acting chill pill as well. I almost didn't recognize him. Didn't he have a recent health problem attributed to stress?

Reaction Score
They played their frenetic frantic D all over us and were rarely called for touch fouls, so if he had an issue, he's a bigger fatter than I thought

This to me was just strategic coaching. He may have saved a couple of fouls with this strategy, allowing for longer continuous pressure. None of the camera shots I saw of him showed him bitching, complaining or ranting (like many other coaches do). He was a smooth operator 'sweet talking' those refs, I respect that.

How is such 'effective coaching' make him an ?

Reaction Score
This to me was just strategic coaching. He may have saved a couple of fouls with this strategy, allowing for longer continuous pressure. None of the camera shots I saw of him showed him bitching, complaining or ranting (like many other coaches do). He was a smooth operator 'sweet talking' those refs, I respect that.

How is such 'effective coaching' make him an ?

Yeah that's why it upset me! They were getting lucky bounces, making their shots, getting calls while we struggled. So my opinion was basically "what are you even saying to him?"... 'ey, we want to grow this lead to 20 so were gonna start really chucking their driving guards into the stands, and you gotta look the other way on that aight?'

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice the coaches shake hands at the end of the game? Huggins started saying something to KO (looked like typical " nice game" type of stuff) as he was going to shake his hand. KO barely shook his hand, didn't break stride at all and just kept walking right by Huggins. I don't think KO even looked at him. Didn't come across like KO is a big fan of Huggins. I could be wrong, but it seemed a bit odd.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice the coaches shake hands at the end of the game? Huggins started saying something to KO (looked like typical " nice game" type of stuff) as he was going to shake his hand. KO barely shook his hand, didn't break stride at all and just kept walking right by Huggins. I don't think KO even looked at him. Didn't come across like KO is a big fan of Huggins. I could be wrong, but it seemed a bit odd.

That type of handshake happens an awful lot, particularly when one coach is not pleased with his own team, and it's not necessarily a reflection of what the coaches think about each other. By nature these coaches are as competitive as it gets, it was a chippy game, and I'm sure Ollie was in no mood to fraternize.

Reaction Score
That type of handshake happens an awful lot, particularly when one coach is not pleased with his own team, and it's not necessarily a reflection of what the coaches think about each other. By nature these coaches are as competitive as it gets, it was a chippy game, and I'm sure Ollie was in no mood to fraternize.
I understand that, I see it a lot. This seemed a little beyond that. Again, I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
He loves to employ Pitino's vaulted "if you grab on every play they can't possibly call you every time" defense.

He also looks just my friend's dad.

willie99

Reaction Score

I noticed, even commented about it at the time. KO wasn't pleased about something, what it was we'll never know.

But it looked like a cold exchange to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline