Warde speaks in Code | The Boneyard

Warde speaks in Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Taken from the football board from Warde tonight speaking to the Alumni Dinner.

"A lot of emphasis on folks buying tickets and attending the games. It was stressed several times. We need you now--not sitting and waiting for better times--but right now--supporting the team.. Warde's next words were telling---(paraphrased)"especially if you want us to get where you want us to be--if you get my drift"."

Where's Conspiracy Kitty?

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I am not going to games. Live in Oregon. Anybody have a website where I can buy a couple? I am hoping sales matter more than attendance. I can give away I would imagine. Maybe a "can you pronounce Oregon" contest.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's not reading between the lines much to say this is the most important football season we've ever had, for a lot of reasons. He's imploring us for support to show that we've turned the corner... let's encourage others to do exactly that.

Reaction Score
I am not going to games. Live in Oregon. Anybody have a website where I can buy a couple? I am hoping sales matter more than attendance. I can give away I would imagine. Maybe a "can you pronounce Oregon" contest.
They have always had a donate tickets to the troops for bowl games. Anyone have any idea if they have similar for season or individual tickets?

Reaction Score
It's not reading between the lines much to say this is the most important football season we've ever had, for a lot of reasons. He's imploring us for support to show that we've turned the corner... let's encourage others to do exactly that.
When my daughter & her beloved couldn't make a couple of games last season, the wife & I invited another couple to attend. They enjoyed the tailgating & game day experience so much that they asked me to get them a pair of season tickets for this year. So my allotment increased to 12 total. Just doing my part to help fill the RENT. I imagine others have a similar tale to tell.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
c29328 said:
it's or ih guhn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I posted this on the hoops board earlier. It won't hurt to put it here as well.

This is something where we (the UConn fan base) absolutely need to be ahead of the curve (of football success). We b!tch constantly about our current lot in life. If we want better we need to demonstrate that we will support our programs. If too many of us wait until there is some success before putting the effort into attending football games the success will never be sustainable. If too many of us wait until there is a better conference schedule (higher profile home games in October & November) to buy tickets there will be zero chance of ever landing in a better conference.
If you live in Ct, love the school and haven't been to a football game within the past few years please go to a game or two. I'll consider donating a pair of tickets to a few games (send me a PM) if some fans want to check it out but are hesitant to make the investment (JMoney & I have already donated a couple of young alumni seats). All I ask is that the tickets get used (not sold or discarded) and those fans try to recruit a few fans to help increase the fan base.
I live in Stamford so there are few places in the state that would be a further drive to the Rent than mine. Trust me, for six or seven (primarily) Saturdays a year it is worth the investment of time and money to attend these games. The added bonus is that beyond the enjoyment of tailgating and football games there will be an enormous benefit to the school and all of its athletic programs.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

This is something where we (the UConn fan base) absolutely need to be ahead of the curve (of football success). We b!tch constantly about our current lot in life. If we want better we need to demonstrate that we will support our programs. If too many of us wait until there is some success before putting the effort into attending football games the success will never be sustainable. If too many of us wait until there is a better conference schedule (higher profile home games in October & November) to buy tickets there will be zero chance of ever landing in a better conference.
If you live in Ct, love the school and haven't been to a football game within the past few years please go to a game or two. I'll consider donating a pair of tickets to a few games (send me a PM) if some fans want to check it out but are hesitant to make the investment (JMoney & I have already donated a couple of young alumni seats). All I ask is that the tickets get used (not sold or discarded) and those fans try to recruit a few fans to help increase the fan base.
I live in Stamford so there are few places in the state that would be a further drive to the Rent than mine. Trust me, for six or seven (primarily) Saturdays a year it is worth the investment of time and money to attend these games. The added bonus is that beyond the enjoyment of tailgating and football games there will be an enormous benefit to the school and all of its athletic programs.
If Warde is reading this, he probably wants to reach out and give you a big ol Internet bear hug. You really nailed the essence of his speech last night.

Reaction Score
I am in Tennessee, I would buy a couple of tickets if there was an easy way to donate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would like to get to a game this year. Hard for me to do because I have coached my daughter's basketball team the last three years, and we have games most Saturdays. Not sure if I will be coaching this year or not. Why are there no times for any home games but BYU? I know it is media driven, but that is annoying and makes this more difficult.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
c29328 said:
We have a winner. Fast too.
there was a kid on my dorm floor at UConn from Oregon - he was a cheerleader - who schooled me on the proper pronunciation. I never again uttered oregahn.

Reaction Score

Spot on. I live in SC but I'm going to buy a three pack. I'll give away two of the games to friends in CT but I'm coming up for the Army game at Yankee Stadium. I'm also planning to go to the ECU game in Greenville, NC on October 23rd.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Use your other social media. Imploring 'Yarders to go to football games, even on other boards, is still preaching to the choir. The people you need to reach are the casual fans. Use Facebook. Organize group outings in your different social circles (work, your fantasy league, etc.) collect the funds and purchase the tickets. Make it a party.

If every die hard here took three home games this year and made 1 a reunion weekend with old college friends, a work weekend with coworkers and a third weekend with current friends/family now were talking about exponential returns. And the first timers you wrangle in those nets may have such a good time they come back.

Buy season tickets? Sure. But I'd rather this camp of crazies start hitting the pavement and recruiting fans.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would like to get to a game this year. Hard for me to do because I have coached my daughter's basketball team the last three years, and we have games most Saturdays. Not sure if I will be coaching this year or not. Why are there no times for any home games but BYU? I know it is media driven, but that is annoying and makes this more difficult.
A few more times are populated- give it a look :
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/conn-m-footbl-sched.html

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

"A lot of emphasis on folks buying tickets and attending the games. It was stressed several times. We need you now--not sitting and waiting for better times--but right now--supporting the team.. Warde's next words were telling---(paraphrased)"especially if you want us to get where you want us to be--if you get my drift"."

tic, tic, tic... answer in "20 minutes"...

Reaction Score
Attendance can be significantly increased by reaching out to casual fans.

Unfortunately, most of these fans will want to arrive late and leave early. Of the 50+ games I attended with a casual fan, only one wanted to stay to the end (of all 9 games he attended).

A large number of real fans now have to work evenings and weekends. Many are leaving Connecticut for less expensive places. Many were season ticket holders before being victimized.

Reaction Score

"A lot of emphasis on folks buying tickets and attending the games. (When does the buffet line open?)It was stressed several times.(I wonder if I can sneak a few extra cookies and nobody will notice?) We need you now--not sitting and waiting for better times--but right now--supporting the team.(Hope Dunkin Donuts drive-thru is open on my way home). Warde's next words were telling---(paraphrased)"especially if you want us to get where you want us to be--if you get my drift"."(I'll be monitoring the heck out of the buffet line though. Swoop in and scoop up any leftovers!)

I got this from Google translator and what returned is in bold.

pj

Reaction Score
I got this from Google translator and what returned is in bold.

Check the contract. Maybe Warde gets bonus donuts if the football team sells out. These hints might be a wily strategem on his part.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

They have always had a donate tickets to the troops for bowl games. Anyone have any idea if they have similar for season or individual tickets?

I am in Tennessee, I would buy a couple of tickets if there was an easy way to donate.

The answer to your question about donating tickets is YES. I have season tickets already through a friends account but I wanted to do more (I'm thankful that I can). I called the ticket office and asked if I could buy a few mini game plans and donate them to military or whoever. They said "OF COURSE!". I bought 4 tickets to BYU, Boise, and UCF in section 110 somewhere and donated them. The UCONN ticket office was so happy that they said that they would honor the Military Appreciation offer (I called the day after it expired). So tack on another 4 tickets for the Temple game.

The mini game tickets were credited to my own UCONN Club account and the total cost came in under $500. I know it's not much but if a few fans who have the means and are able to did this, it wouldn't hurt UCONN.

I am a proud alum and I credit UCONN for giving me everything that I have and love today. To say that I love UCONN is an extreme understatement. I realize that not everyone feels the same way that I do and that's fine. Also, I dont share this to try to pressure anyone. I'm simply sharing my story to illustrate that you CAN donate tickets if you have the means but are unable to attend yourself (or already have tickets and want to do more). It's actually an easier process than you think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69