Warde Manuel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn-Nike deal is up same year the B1G TV contract ends or can be renegotiated, whichever it is. Will be interesting to see if that plays any effect in CR.
I think you've got that backwards. CR, or lack of it for UConn will play a role in negotiations. We will take a huge hit. The only saving grace will be WBB, ironically enough.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMO, Warde came in behind the 8 ball. I also believe only a few ADs could have schmoozed his way into the ACC and all those ADs were already employed.
Cavanaugh seems to be a good hire. I think Warde gets credit for that. I'm glad he got recognized as it makes us seem like we have or (stuff) together. That said, your post seems to demand this response -

The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)

I am tired of our conference, I mean it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we end up here, when were really hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've known for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears.

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean.
But I expect that a "rock star" would have known the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And when you think where the blame lies, it's not up for debate...

That Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He should have been working, so our last shot wouldn't stall.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and we ended in tears.​

Ironically the name of the real song is "Escape" ('from the AAC' is just implied.)

Reaction Score
I don't know. I can't point to anything he's done that I wouldn't expect any other AD who makes $500k to do who inherited some very successful programs and coaches.

I don't think he's done anything notable or transformational. I thought he was expressly hired because he had strong relations with BC and could assist with us getting to a conference, possibly ACC since BC blocked UConn previously.

I'm not saying he's not able to maintain status quo, he is, I just don't see the huge positive changes he's done.

So its ok to railroad him if he does "The basic things that any AD or employee who is paid $500k+ would do." but you can't give him credit for doing them well?

Why doesn't he get credit for recognizing JC was right about Ollie and giving him the contract? Because he didn't do it blindly as many wanted him to?

What about any of the other things BoatShow listed? Nothing for any of that either?

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether he was solely responsible for certain UConn successes or just a member of the team, this type of honor is only a positive development in that it shines a positive light on the University and our athletic department.

As it pertains to CR, it's neutral to positive. Lets just accept the recognition for what it is.

Exactly. Take "yes" for an answer and add the accolade to Susan's PowerPoint(TM) Presentation. Another tool. Might never be needed, but it's available.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't know. I can't point to anything he's done that I wouldn't expect any other AD who makes $500k to do who inherited some very successful programs and coaches.

I don't think he's done anything notable or transformational. I thought he was expressly hired because he had strong relations with BC and could assist with us getting to a conference, possibly ACC since BC blocked UConn previously.

I'm not saying he's not able to maintain status quo, he is, I just don't see the huge positive changes he's done.

Sometimes, just not up a good thing is a hell of an accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Maybe for Bama, Duke, UK or Ohio State. Not if you're buried in a dead end conference situation. Unless UConn finds a way out of this I won't think the AD has "overachieved."

Sometimes, just not up a good thing is a hell of an accomplishment.

Reaction Score
I thought he was expressly hired because he had strong relations with BC and could assist with us getting to a conference, possibly ACC since BC blocked UConn previously.
Genuine question, why did you think this was the reason he was hired?

Reaction Score
In addition, does jsm1970 believe UCONN President Herbst and the Board of Trustees are omniscent? Or, perhaps they incorrectly believed Manuel had pictures of bcu's fr. leahy dancing naked with fat, pasty coeds, cherubs, etc., or had premonitions BCU would hire Manuel's fellow Michigan alum, Brad Bates, several months later than Manuel joining UCONN. Apparently not; at least no premonitions!

Reaction Score
I said he does an acceptable job as an AD. I don't think he's done anything to suggest he's in the top 5% of his field. I think he looked inexperienced in that period when the ACC was considering a replacement for Maryland. The Louisville AD was actively petitioning and selling his University while Manuel was at a meaningless preseason Women's basketball tournament monitoring the situation. I'm not suggesting he could have changed that outcome whatsoever no matter how he behaved. I just don't know what to point to with him to say he's an elite AD.

In addition, does jsm1970 believe UCONN President Herbst and the Board of Trustees are omniscent? Or, perhaps they incorrectly believed Manuel had pictures of bcu's fr. leahy dancing naked with fat, pasty coeds, cherubs, etc., or had premonitions BCU would hire Manuel's fellow Michigan alum, Brad Bates, several months later than Manuel joining UCONN. Apparently not; at least no premonitions!

Reaction Score
has anyone thought that this positive attention could get Warde an offer from another P5 school?
Of course it can. But at the same time, I am sure he knows this is a chance to make history.

Reaction Score
He was hired for 1 reason and 1 reason only. He had a reputation in the NCAA and media as an APR turnaround guy. He got an award from somebody for it at Buffalo. The UConn BoT convinced themselves that hiring awards would correct the problem in the long term and get the ban lifted in the short term. I was told this by a former member of the Board who served on the selection committee. He was, though ill suited for the actual challenge he faced.

Reaction Score
Well, if we're going to aim for the Big Ten, having an academically strong AD is not a bad idea.

Rest of it can come together as long as we hire the right coaches. Was the Cavanaugh hire not a solid one?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
WM wasn't hired for one reason only. While he did have a history with the then (not sure if he is still there) AD at BC (from their Michigan days), that was at best (and that would be a stretch) an ancillary benefit. While APR was a priority, there were many candidates who could have helped there and in reality, the prioritization of this within the school's leadership outside of the athletic department is how an issue there would be corrected. We )our school's leadership) wants to build something that would align with schools like Michigan (among others) where there is a marquee athletic department over many sports but also a student body that academically is among the best in the country with student athletes fully integrated into that student body. That he had spent significant time at Michigan and that he was on a track of career success helped tremendously.

Whether we (the fans base) realize it or not, whether we agree with the goals or not, the current leadership of this university has tremendous ambitions (if this was in place a decade earlier we would be golden today) and is working quite diligently at achieving these goals. Money is a serious constraint and our ability to get where we want to be will be very dependent on support (both financially and in attendance at sporting events) of our fans base and alumni base.

Reaction Score
FCF,
I agree with most of your post but what put Warde in the seat instead of one of the other candidates was his APR rep. Yes he had been at Michigan. Yes he had a good rep but apr was what distinguished him from others and landed him the job. Unfortunately, that was an easy fix and despite his addition it didn't get the ban lifted. And he was ill prepared for what was the actual challenge. He was ill equipt to do the inside and outside fighting needed to get us into the ACC. He came off poorly as an inept guy. He was like a general brought in to fight the last war.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Some people seem to forget that we have devices called cell phones. If a face to face meeting needed to be had we also have boosters with private planes.

More importantly, Susan took the lead on expansion in September 2011 when Pendergast was our interim AD. She had established connections with the ACC. Per source, we had assurances if the ACC expanded again (with ND all-in) we would be number 16. She likely was heavily involved when Maryland left. But there was simply too much momentum from the football schools to add Louisville that there was nothing UConn admin or AD could do to overcome. Initial reports out of Tobacco Road had us as the leaders, we had their support, but they were in the minority. The end.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
FCF,
I agree with most of your post but what put Warde in the seat instead of one of the other candidates was his APR rep. Yes he had been at Michigan. Yes he had a good rep but apr was what distinguished him from others and landed him the job. Unfortunately, that was an easy fix and despite his addition it didn't get the ban lifted. And he was ill prepared for what was the actual challenge. He was ill equipt to do the inside and outside fighting needed to get us into the ACC. He came off poorly as an inept guy. He was like a general brought in to fight the last war.

Are you still upset he hired Ollie?

I know you thought was a terrible decision.

Reaction Score
Crazy stuff.

Would RUTGERS (returning to a favorite subject of mine) ever have an Acclaimed Athletic Director.

At UConn, we expect this. We demand that ALL our programs fight for championships. Actually, I am pissed that Ray Reid hasn't won in November as much as I'd like. This is our BRAND. We put together top programs across lots of sports. Our Fanbase doesn't appreciate how good we are. This should be our key in CR. They should want a University - robust and supported by the legislature - that is growing & climbing. Not one that has more TVs in a geo region; but, is a freaking embarassment predictably fairly regular.

Warde Manuel has done a really good job. Now get us an upgrade.

Reaction Score
I don't follow the praise for him, is it just he's better than Hathaway? The football program, the most important factor for P5 expansion, is at the lowest level of the last 15 years. If you want to give him credit for women's Field Hockey championships why shouldn't he be subject to criticisms too?

ECU, Cincy, UCF, etc. are in the same terrible league and aren't flat lining.

Crazy stuff.

Would RUTGERS (returning to a favorite subject of mine) ever have an Acclaimed Athletic Director.

At UConn, we expect this. We demand that ALL our programs fight for championships. Actually, I am pissed that Ray Reid hasn't won in November as much as I'd like. This is our BRAND. We put together top programs across lots of sports. Our Fanbase doesn't appreciate how good we are. This should be our key in CR. They should want a University - robust and supported by the legislature - that is growing & climbing. Not one that has more TVs in a geo region; but, is a freaking embarassment predictably fairly regular.

Warde Manuel has done a really good job. Now get us an upgrade.

Reaction Score
JSM1970 said:
I don't follow the praise for him, is it just he's better than Hathaway? The football program, the most important factor for P5 expansion, is at the lowest level of the last 15 years. If you want to give him credit for women's Field Hockey championships why shouldn't he be subject to criticisms too? ECU, Cincy, UCF, etc. are in the same terrible league and aren't flat lining.

The only involvement Warde has in where the football program is, is in the hiring of Diaco. After one year, we can't blame him for Diaco failing. As we all know, this year is big for Diaco. If the season is a disaster, we've got a problem. If we improve quite a bit, Diaco is a feather in Warde's cap.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The only involvement Warde has in where the football program is, is in the hiring of Diaco. After one year, we can't blame him for Diaco failing. As we all know, this year is big for Diaco. If the season is a disaster, we've got a problem. If we improve quite a bit, Diaco is a feather in Warde's cap.
Honestly it's longer term than that. But everyone feels the need to pass judgement ASAP.

Reaction Score
junglehusky said:
Honestly it's longer term than that. But everyone feels the need to pass judgement ASAP.

I'm not sure it is longer term in my view. I'm just looking for the elimination of crazy talk and instances of mind boggling incompetence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only involvement Warde has in where the football program is, is in the hiring of Diaco.

Not true. He gave P a third year. Everyone knew that was doomed to failure. It cost us a precious year in our rebuild.

Reaction Score
Not true. He gave P a third year. Everyone knew that was doomed to failure. It cost us a precious year in our rebuild.
That's right. And he was in a perfect position to make a change as the new guy in town coming with an underperforming team. But like most things he has done he lacked the guts to make a decision until it was too late. He did it with Calhoun too when everyone but Warde seemed to know Calhoun would walk and stick him with Ollie (and I mean that in the sense that he would have no choice in his first major hire). But he let himself be put in that position by failing to force the issue. ACC we saw the same monitoring instead of taking action. He monitored Pasqualoni when everyone knew it was a growing disaster, monitored Calhoun and monitored the ACC.

Reaction Score
That's right. And he was in a perfect position to make a change as the new guy in town coming with an underperforming team. But like most things he has done he lacked the guts to make a decision until it was too late. He did it with Calhoun too when everyone but Warde seemed to know Calhoun would walk and stick him with Ollie (and I mean that in the sense that he would have no choice in his first major hire). But he let himself be put in that position by failing to force the issue. ACC we saw the same monitoring instead of taking action. He monitored Pasqualoni when everyone knew it was a growing disaster, monitored Calhoun and monitored the ACC.
Over and over and over. Everybody already knows your opinion of Warde. Please give it a rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom