Warde Manuel | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this UA's way of trying to peel the uniform Contract away from the Swoosh? Nike's logo is prominently plastered on the Jumbotrons at Gampel & visible at the RENT.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What exactly was Warde's role in the winning of any of these championships? He has one role: Getting
UConn into the B1G or ACC. If he fails to do that, then he is a flop.

Reaction Score
What exactly was Warde's role in the winning of any of these championships? He has one role: Getting

I generally agree with you, however he has also changed the academic culture for athletes. I think that has vastly improved.

Reaction Score
Saw the start and finish if the Basketball Champions Center practice facility, upgraded the men's hockey team to HE, got a $8 million donation from former soccer player Tony Rizza to upgrade Morrone stadium, improved academic support for athletes...not a bad achievement IMHO. Definitely worth of the award to say the least.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I generally agree with you, however he has also changed the academic culture for athletes. I think that has vastly improved.
The men's basketball team seemed to be the problem area. I believe Ollie was mainly responsible for the current APR.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether he was solely responsible for certain UConn successes or just a member of the team, this type of honor is only a positive development in that it shines a positive light on the University and our athletic department.

As it pertains to CR, it's neutral to positive. Lets just accept the recognition for what it is.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether he was solely responsible for certain UConn successes or just a member of the team, this type of honor is only a positive development in that it shines a positive light on the University and our athletic department.

As it pertains to CR, it's neutral to positive. Lets just accept the recognition for what it is.
Exactly. UCONN has an AD who is honored with an award while some programs are saddled with someone like oh I don't know Julie Hermann.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Congrats to Warde! Power 5 or not, he deserves and UConn deserves the recognition.

However, what's up Hathaway/Hofstra winning in their category?

Lastly, when I first saw the news I thought it was a made up award by under armour to get Warde buttered up for the next UConn apparel deal. They just sponsor the award, however, and it's legitimate.

I hope we continue with Nike in the next deal, but by all means go with the highest bidder. Except Adidas - f them and their hideous uniform designs.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Saw the start and finish if the Basketball Champions Center practice facility, upgraded the men's hockey team to HE, got a $8 million donation from former soccer player Tony Rizza to upgrade Morrone stadium, improved academic support for athletes...not a bad achievement IMHO. Definitely worth of the award to say the least.
yeah but none of those count because donuts.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The public communication and promotions from the AD, while not perfect, are light years better than before Warde arrived. He's an upgrade. Could a more aggressive AD have gotten us in a P5? Probably not. The deck was stacked against us the second Florida State said Louisville.

Reaction Score
Get Michigan to keep the game in EH, AAC MBB tourney in Hartford, upgrades to Rentschler, KO's contract, outstanding scheduling in MBB doing the best with what he is given in football scheduling...

Reaction Score
The basic things that any AD or employee who is paid $500k+ would do.

The transformational things that would radically change the prospects of UConn = total failure.

I give him no credit for Geno's success, the Field Hockey or even Ollie. Under his watch, regardless of the circumstances the football program is at the lowest level since going FBS.

Get Michigan to keep the game in EH, AAC MBB tourney in Hartford, upgrades to Rentschler, KO's contract, outstanding scheduling in MBB doing the best with what he is given in football scheduling...

Reaction Score
The basic things that any AD or employee who is paid $500k+ would do.

The transformational things that would radically change the prospects of UConn = total failure.

I give him no credit for Geno's success, the Field Hockey or even Ollie. Under his watch, regardless of the circumstances the football program is at the lowest level since going FBS.

So its ok to railroad him if he does "The basic things that any AD or employee who is paid $500k+ would do." but you can't give him credit for doing them well?

Why doesn't he get credit for recognizing JC was right about Ollie and giving him the contract? Because he didn't do it blindly as many wanted him to?

What about any of the other things BoatShow listed? Nothing for any of that either?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
IMO, Warde came in behind the 8 ball. I also believe only a few ADs could have schmoozed his way into the ACC and all those ADs were already employed.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
IMO, Warde came in behind the 8 ball. I also believe only a few ADs could have schmoozed his way into the ACC and all those ADs were already employed.
In that situation / timeframe, no amount of AD schmoozing would have swayed the ACC's decision. Given more time and a better football record, perhaps schmoozing could grease the gears a little.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I still place majority blame upon Jeff Hathaway's shoulders for our conference affiliation than anyone else's. One of the worst ADs in the history of ADs. His likeness should be carved into a Talcott Mountain Mount D0uchmore.

Reaction Score
Maryland/UA to B1G > Kemba to UA > Warde UA award....B1G things on the horizon.
UConn-Nike deal is up same year the B1G TV contract ends or can be renegotiated, whichever it is. Will be interesting to see if that plays any effect in CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom