Warde Manuel to be next Michigan AD? | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to be next Michigan AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Just a rumor from a not so solid source, but this guy has a pretty good rep and has connections to current interim AD Jim Hackett.

MGoBlog forum

Thoughts for both UConn and Michigan?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think we need to see what Harbaugh says. He runs the place now. Plus, to have Warde, we need space in your conf.

Reaction Score
I think we need to see what Harbaugh says. He runs the place now. Plus, to have Warde, we need space in your conf.
Warde and Jim Harbaugh both played at Michigan around the same time and are friends...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My thoughts:

1. who will replace Kevin Ollie if he decided to opt out of his contract should Warde leave?
2. if Warde goes to Michigan, I hope this helps us get the out of the AAC and into the B1G

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We will continue the march to oblivion without him. He will be fine for you if Harbaugh works out.

Reaction Score
Grade issue/favorable PR addressed; if Manuel departs for Michigan, hire the most influential, up and coming B1G assistant AD open to joining UCONN, continue following the really strategic B1G game plan, get B1G invitation for some year down the road, accept, all good. Winning!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Grade issue/favorable PR addressed; if Manuel departs for Michigan, hire the most influential, up and coming B1G assistant AD open to joining UCONN, continue following the really strategic B1G game plan, get B1G invitation for some year down the road, accept, all good. Winning!

Yeah, hire someone with a background from either Penn State or Ohio State. That would give us obvious connections to Rutty (old conf rivals), Michigan (Herbst/Manual), Maryland (Edsal). Of course there are bigger consideration for the next AD than BIG connections - just saying it would be a nice feather in the cap if possible.

Reaction Score
Although WM and Brad Bates, both former Michigan alums, were on the very short list for the AD slot when Dave Brandon was let go, it was the long time personal connections of Jim Hackett with the Harbaugh family that got him the interim AD job. It was all about putting on the full court press for JH. All of the laudatory comments about Hackett are a result of his convincing JH to come aboard. I also think it likely that WM will be the next AD at UM.

Reaction Score
All of the laudatory comments about Hackett are a result of his convincing JH to come aboard. I also think it likely that WM will be the next AD at UM.

There are no doubt a lot of people who know Jim Harbaugh, some of them potential candidates for the AD position. That said,I don't think many of them would have wagered money on what Jim's next move would be in coaching. There were too many moving parts and too many "unknowables" when it comes to guessing what going on inside Jim's head.

On the other hand, if you have a retired CEO who is well known and well respected among the leaders of Michigan, who also happens to have ties to Harbaugh, yeah, you hire the guy.

Reaction Score
Warde M. to the Wolverines would seem a no-brainer for all of the obvious reasons. It's the next logical step in his professional advancement & the pinnacle position of his career. That said, the "Rock Star" has unfinished business at UConn. When he left Buffalo, it was at the height of Buffalo's athletic spotlight (a.k.a. getting the Bisons into football bowls consistantly) At UConn, his mission is much different: Positioning & gaining P5 acceptance for the University. His resume is incomplete in that regard. Still, if offered the A.D. position in Ann Arbor, he would accept: It's home, it's THE glamor job, & money talks. Consider Buffalo, & UConn as on the job training. Most executives dream of being at the top of the professional food chain. For Manuel, That's AD at UM.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Warde M. to the Wolverines would seem a no-brainer for all of the obvious reasons. It's the next logical step in his professional advancement & the pinnacle position of his career. That said, the "Rock Star" has unfinished business at UConn. When he left Buffalo, it was at the height of Buffalo's athletic spotlight (a.k.a. getting the Bisons into football bowls consistantly) At UConn, his mission is much different: Positioning & gaining P5 acceptance for the University. His resume is incomplete in that regard. Still, if offered the A.D. position in Ann Arbor, he would accept: It's home, it's THE glamor job, & money talks. Consider Buffalo, & UConn as on the job training. Most executives dream of being at the top of the professional food chain. For Manuel, That's AD at UM.
Didn't Buffalo make one bowl, get blown out by us, and then sank back down? Although conference realignment decisions are made at a higher level than AD, he appeared clueless during the last round. UConn looks to be all-in on trying to obtain AAU status as a means to an end.

Reaction Score
Didn't Buffalo make one bowl, get blown out by us, and then sank back down? Although conference realignment decisions are made at a higher level than AD, he appeared clueless during the last round. UConn looks to be all-in on trying to obtain AAU status as a means to an end.
Its been pretty quiet on the FB front at UB since Turner Gill left the job unfinished.

Reaction Score
Being the Michigan AD must be easy. Being the CT AD is high adventure.

Reaction Score
Not only that, and I'm not blaming him at all for this, but on Warde's watch we went from BCS conference member to G5 conference member. Totally out of his control I get it, but so is the fact that he inherited great coaches that make the the overall success of the athletic depth look like he is doing a terrific job.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well lets wait until he's dead before we type up the obituary.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Warde has done a great job with what he's been given. Under his watch, he has:

1. mended relationships with some of UConn's biggest athletic donors (previously destroyed by Hathaway);
2. improved all of our athletic program's academic ratings (even though APR has been shown to be easily manipulated by other schools like Oklahoma State);
3. transitioned hockey into Hockey East with a terrific coaching hire - led the HE conference in attendance in Year 1;
4. successfully shooed NBA vultures from luring Coach Ollie away after our 2014 championship;
5. has devoted as many resources as possible to turning football around - including surveying season ticket holders for gameday improvement suggestions (something Hathaway would have NEVER done), and hiring a coaching staff that can recruit well despite awful on-field results (hopefully this will translate on-field soon!);
6. completed the long overdue on-campus basketball training/practice facility needed for our elite hoops programs

Warde has done very well with the resources he has here and has made the necessary moves to improve/sustain UConn's AD profile for a P5 invite. I can only imagine that he'd do an excellent job at Michigan with unlimited resources and already grandfathered into a P5 conference.

Reaction Score

1. mended relationships with some of UConn's biggest athletic donors (previously destroyed by Hathaway);
2. improved all of our athletic program's academic ratings (even though APR has been shown to be easily manipulated by other schools like Oklahoma State);
3. transitioned hockey into Hockey East with a terrific coaching hire - led the HE conference in attendance in Year 1;
4. successfully shooed NBA vultures from luring Coach Ollie away after our 2014 championship;
5. has devoted as many resources as possible to turning football around - including surveying season ticket holders for gameday improvement suggestions (something Hathaway would have NEVER done), and hiring a coaching staff that can recruit well despite awful on-field results (hopefully this will translate on-field soon!);
6. completed the long overdue on-campus basketball training/practice facility needed for our elite hoops programs

Warde has done very well with the resources he has here and has made the necessary moves to improve/sustain UConn's AD profile for a P5 invite. I can only imagine that he'd do an excellent job at Michigan with unlimited resources and already grandfathered into a P5 conference.
Dooley you forgot the soccer facility and the renovation of Gampel both which will be started soon, hopefully also the announcement of the new Ice hockey barn/team facility

CL82

Reaction Score
Dooley you forgot the soccer facility and the renovation of Gampel both which will be started soon, hopefully also the announcement of the new Ice hockey barn/team facility
I'm looking forward to the renovation of Gampel, which not only includes the restoration of the magnificent Pantoni tiles but also the addition of a concourse.

MasterPlanHub.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being the Michigan AD must be easy. Being the CT AD is high adventure.
Hathaway set the bar so low at CT that any positive is Perceived
The Mich job comes with a whole new set of pressures
I

Without a P5 invitation his tenure at UConn is a huge failure.
His glossy resume is like the Dr who claims the surgery was a success even though the patient died.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the renovation of Gampel, which not only includes the restoration of the magnificent Pantoni tiles but also the addition of a concourse.

MasterPlanHub.jpg
They should really just close off Hillside Road down to all traffic but but emergency vehicle's. It makes no sense with the foot traffic that's there now when school is in session and the proposed buildings in this picture to continue to let traffic through there.

CL82

Reaction Score
They should really just close off Hillside Road down to all traffic but but emergency vehicle's. It makes no sense with the foot traffic that's there now when school is in session and the proposed buildings in this picture to continue to let traffic through there.
Disagree. They need Hillside to close the box of 430, 195 and Gilbert Road. There are wide sidewalks on either side of the road for foot traffic.

Reaction Score
Disagree. They need Hillside to close the box of 430, 195 and Gilbert Road. There are wide sidewalks on either side of the road for foot traffic.
The times I have been up on campus the past 2 years (and the feedback I get from my friends that work at the UCONN Fire Department and Mansfield Fore Department) and it is flat out ridiculous trying to get down or up Hillside from Jorgensen to Gampel with all the kids that cross from the Student Union side to the Fieldhouse side of the road. This will be my last on this side topic...don't want to take away from the thread topic.

Reaction Score

MasterPlanHub.jpg

What happened to the pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member