Wacky Idea for BIG to Piss Off ACC: ECU & UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wacky Idea for BIG to Piss Off ACC: ECU & UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Holy cow Butch, I was thinking of ODU's upside since they're near ground zero of the best Virginia recruits: Hampton Metro. They go FBS next year - Conference USA. But their stadium is tiny.

Btw, ECU critics - they are consistently better than Duke and WF, though Duke is on an upswing. They also have a stadium that is expandable - currently houses 50k. Already better than Northwestern and IU, even with Rutgers, Minnesota and Maryland. More than UConn as well - right?
Using your logic I guess Boise State should be in a power conference. By the way my oldest son graduated from ECU so I'm not hating at all. I also have a Charlotte grad , so needless to say I have watched both grow.

Reaction Score
ECU's best chance is an asteroid flattening about 45 other schools including every single competing campus in North Carolina.

Conference-wise, they have hit their high-water mark. No one, but no one, but no one, but the American Conference has any use for the 5th best program in North Carolina. There isn't a single dollar to be gleaned by picking up East Carolina. At the conference meetings, they'll be the ones standing in a corner next to Tulsa saying, "man, can you believe we made it to the big time?!"

So stop, just stop.

Fishy, ok I get your point, but now you're going too far.

ECU in the BIG or SEC, especially the SEC, a conference far more willing to take a shot at them would immediately put them above WF and Duke in terms of football. Way more people, on average, attend ECU games in person than Duke or WF. Tobacco Road is too saturated for football - works for basketball and other Olympic sports, but not football.

ECU has lower admissions requirements than both WF and Duke and more bowl history as well.

ECU has been making noise for a while, currently ranked & could very well be this year's UCF for the AAC.

We all forget that upside and tradition can be created at universities. Once upon a time Wisconsin, Oregon, South Carolina and Baylor were mid tier to bottom dwellers in their respective conferences. UConn became a basketball power, and perhaps the best one in the modern era, especially the past 20 years. The Miami Hurricanes almost gave up football just before 1980 or 1981. I mean we could go on here.

We also rarely discuss the fact, and I definitely include the BIG here, a lot of crappy teams in p5 conferences don't deserve opportunities to sit at the big boy table of CF, especially if a downsized super division unfolds. So many teams would get the shaft under such a proposal & I suspect major lawsuits would unfold, coupled with Congressional involvement if a super division is in fact in the works.

pj

Reaction Score
UCF went from being way behind USF in perceived value to way ahead in just a couple of years based on joining the AAC and outperforming there.

ECU can raise its stature significantly with persistent football outperformance.

I can't imagine ECU to the B1G because of the lack of academic fit, but SEC is not out of the question if the politics of ESPN-SEC-ACC relations makes that the only option. There is no reason ECU can't surpass NC State in statewide athletics popularity if its football program excels and it joins the SEC. UNC's fan base is out of reach, but NC State's, Duke's, and Wake's are not. It could rise to #2 in the state. And #2 is a valuable prize, if UNC is staying in its own kingdom.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UCF went from being way behind USF in perceived value to way ahead in just a couple of years based on joining the AAC and outperforming there.

ECU can raise its stature significantly with persistent football outperformance.

I can't imagine ECU to the B1G because of the lack of academic fit, but SEC is not out of the question if the politics of ESPN-SEC-ACC relations makes that the only option. There is no reason ECU can't surpass NC State in statewide athletics popularity if its football program excels and it joins the SEC. UNC's fan base is out of reach, but NC State's, Duke's, and Wake's are not. It could rise to #2 in the state. And #2 is a valuable prize, if UNC is staying in its own kingdom.

ECU is so far behind NCState statewide the gap would be measured in Parsecs or Lightyears.

Reaction Score
ECU is so far behind NCState statewide the gap would be measured in Parsecs or Lightyears.
ECU is currently the Millenium Falcon while NC State is an Imperial Starship. Only a matter of time before ECU gets is due.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes, I know ECU is way down the totem pole in terms of academics, especially in relation to all of the overstated BIG requirements. But on a personal level, pragmatism aside, not a fan of academic metrics and elitism.

To quote the judge in MyCousinVinny: "Are you on drugs?"

pj

Reaction Score

Maybe they could work out a deal, NC State to the SEC and ECU to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Probablity of ECU going to:
BiG = .000000000000000000000001%
SEC = .00001%

If the SEC wants Carolina, they will go hard after UNC & NC St. Their best bet would be NCSt wanting to get away from its dominating big brother, a la TAMU.

If ECU goes anywhere it is more likely to be the ACC or B12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where do you people get this stuff? What part of this don't you understand? This isn't really about having a good football team. This is a club, one that just got more exclusive. It's about University Presidents feeling good about the other University Presidents that they have dinners with, and about all of them, trying to control the money tree and keep out the riff raff.

If the B1G schools are like big corporate CEOS, ECU is a guy who changes your oil at Jiffy Lube. They aren't inviting him to the polo club, even if he's a better polo player.

Reaction Score
I
Where do you people get this stuff? What part of this don't you understand? This isn't really about having a good football team. This is a club, one that just got more exclusive. It's about University Presidents feeling good about the other University Presidents that they have dinners with, and about all of them, trying to control the money tree and keep out the riff raff.

If the B1G schools are like big corporate CEOS, ECU is a guy who changes your oil at Jiffy Lube. They aren't inviting him to the polo club, even if he's a better polo player.
I agree for the most part and the level playing field is gone. The only chance for most of us is if the AAC somehow becomes the 6th power conference and that seems unlikely. Every program in the AAC can point to at least a few P5 programs and claim to be better than them. The only exception to your statement seems to be Louisville. From CUSA to the big boys table. Well, Rutgers made it too with virtually no success.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I

I agree for the most part and the level playing field is gone. The only chance for most of us is if the AAC somehow becomes the 6th power conference and that seems unlikely. Every program in the AAC can point to at least a few P5 programs and claim to be better than them. The only exception to your statement seems to be Louisville. From CUSA to the big boys table. Well, Rutgers made it too with virtually no success.

I disagree with respect to UConn. Those Presidents aren't ashamed to be seen with us. UConn doesn't face the impossible odds ECU does, and if we had their football program we'd already be in. I think the ACC held their noses to take Louisville, because they were desperate to get the best on field product they could at that moment.

Reaction Score
To quote the judge in MyCousinVinny: "Are you on drugs?"

At one time, yes. I blame it on my degrees from the UofMn and UW-Madison - AAU schools for over a century & never going to lose membership.

Reaction Score

In lieu of polo substitute golf. I think you need to watch Caddy Shack AGAIN!!!

Reaction Score
Yes, the ACC and some of their school's fans did get overly and obsessively irrational when Maryland left, but it was a move that the Big Ten and Maryland thought was best for the long term.

Great move by the B1G and UMCP. Rutgers was OK in terms of grabbing the NYC market, but the UMCP move was very smart on Delany's part. Very large land grant, flagship, AAU school in the heart of DC/Baltimore. Take all the emotion out of it and all the ACC fans crying foul, it was a great business decision in terms of living alumni, TV markets, good basketball fanbase, good Olympic sports, etc. Not saying UMCP = Nebraska on the football spectrum, but a great addition for the B1G. The only moves that would be just as good is adding UVa and UNC on the east side or adding Kansas and Mizzou on the west side (with the former being the stronger move).

Reaction Score

I wouldn't say they are the guy changing oil at Jiffy Lube. More like the Associate at the big corporation that hits the glass ceiling while the CEO is making deals without him knowing what is going on. UConn is more like the VP who is on his way up and it's just a matter of time before he hits the big time.

Reaction Score
Maybe they could work out a deal, NC State to the SEC and ECU to the ACC.

I'd trade Wake for ECU in a heartbeat if that were an option. Would love ECU in the ACC. But it can't happen with 4 schools in that state already.

Reaction Score
Holy cow Butch, I was thinking of ODU's upside since they're near ground zero of the best Virginia recruits: Hampton Metro. They go FBS next year - Conference USA. But their stadium is tiny.

Btw, ECU critics - they are consistently better than Duke and WF, though Duke is on an upswing. They also have a stadium that is expandable - currently houses 50k. Already better than Northwestern and IU, even with Rutgers, Minnesota and Maryland. More than UConn as well - right?
ODU is in C-USA right now. They defeated Rice in their last game, at Rice.

I see ODU rising, like ECU. When and if the ACC gets raided, it'll survive. I also expect UTSA to develop more. Should have taken them instead of SMU but SMU money and prestige won out.

pj

Reaction Score
ODU is in C-USA right now. They defeated Rice in their last game, at Rice.

I see ODU rising, like ECU. When and if the ACC gets raided, it'll survive. I also expect UTSA to develop more. Should have taken them instead of SMU but SMU money and prestige won out.

Don't you mean should have taken them instead of Tulsa?

Reaction Score
You know things are bad when we begin arguing the merits of Old Dominion and Tulsa. :)

If you need THAT to realize things are bad, you got problems.

Reaction Score
You know things are bad when we begin arguing the merits of Old Dominion and Tulsa. :)
At least ODU has national championships, right?
Given our situation, I don't understand knocking other programs. I think all programs should be given chances which makes this whole P5 play a joke for college football.

Reaction Score
Great move by the B1G and UMCP. Rutgers was OK in terms of grabbing the NYC market, but the UMCP move was very smart on Delany's part. Very large land grant, flagship, AAU school in the heart of DC/Baltimore. Take all the emotion out of it and all the ACC fans crying foul, it was a great business decision in terms of living alumni, TV markets, good basketball fanbase, good Olympic sports, etc. Not saying UMCP = Nebraska on the football spectrum, but a great addition for the B1G. The only moves that would be just as good is adding UVa and UNC on the east side or adding Kansas and Mizzou on the west side (with the former being the stronger move).

As a Maryland fan, I thank you for seeing things the right way. I don't disagree with any of your other suggestions either.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When someone mentions Old Dominion as an expansion target for the P5, get a large red Sharpie and draw a line through that person's name because they're deranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom