Wacky Idea for BIG to Piss Off ACC: ECU & UConn | The Boneyard

Wacky Idea for BIG to Piss Off ACC: ECU & UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Correction on thread title: "Wacky" please drop "Sorty of" - "Sorty" is some made up word that came out of my toddler imagination. Mods can you change? I can't seem to figure it out.

Yes, yes, I know ECU is way down the totem pole in terms of academics, especially in relation to all of the overstated BIG requirements. But on a personal level, pragmatism aside, not a fan of academic metrics and elitism.

Greenville has been booming for decades & ECU is a decent-sized public school, far enough out of the Tobacco Road shadow.

UConn, as you all know is a no-brainer for me in the BIG. Basketball and other sports do matter and UConn is clearly climbing the world of research.

Even back in the early 90s when I lived just an hour south of Greenville, ECU was the best football program in NC no one outside of this state heard of - it's a great atmosphere & widely successful in terms of culture-fanbase. It's an excellent climate for football, literally - gorgeous weather, even late fall.

I think ECU and UConn would be a huge slap in the face to the ACC. I'm willing to bet the SEC has at least considered ECU - not to sure on the BIG.

If the BIG did, big if here, add ECU - Delany won't be as much a villain to UNC faithful as a UNC to BIG move.

The ECU faithful would also welcome a BIG move, and by overwhelming majority.

Loud and clear on the academics arguments - no need to explain the obvious. But anyone slighting their basketball mediocrity, I'd argue a BIG membership is exactly what the doctor ordered to bring elevate this program. It could essentially be advertised as Carolina's blue-collar program, much like football. Moreover, we don't know where the UNC mess stands.

One thing for certain, ECU to the BIG would overshadow Wake Forest and NC State in short time, Duke football as well. But hard to break the stranglehold of Duke-UNC basketball, and once upon a time: NC State.

Hypothetically speaking, if ECU and UConn were in the BIG in the near future - who would be the next two?

I would think one of the Virginia schools would suddenly think, more so than this past expansion cycle: "hmmmmmmm on the BIG", especially VT. ECU and VT have a nice lithely football rivalry, albeit the latter has dominated, don't let last week's score fool you. But most of the games have been close.

VT would have 6 schools within 7 hours or less driving distance: IU, OSU, PSU, Rutgers, MD, & ECU.

ECU, well road trips outside of VT, Maryland, PSU a Rutgers would exceed 8 hours, including UConn. But hey, they are your current conference mates, you'll gauge this membership soon enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I sorty get it ;), but I don't think B1G would ever give a precious remaining slot to a "project" school. There are just too many things about it that aren't B1G-like. I can't see schools like Pitt having been passed over only to make an offer to ECU.

pj

Reaction Score
ECU would have some advantages. With Maryland covering DC and ECU in proximity to the Richmond/Virginia Beach/Norfolk population cluster of southeast Virginia, ECU might give the B1G traction in both Virginia and North Carolina with only the addition of a single school. Also, if our North Carolina visitors are right that NC State would never be allowed to leave UNC, and UNC is firm for ACC, then ECU might be the B1G's only chance to get into North Carolina with a large state school.

But I have to believe the B1G presidents would never go for that on academic grounds.

Also, given how patient they were to get to 12, you'd think they'd wait until the expiration of the ACC/B12 TV contracts to see if any ACC or B12 teams will jump before growing with a school that's #4 or so in its state.

If this were seriously the plan, you'd think the B1G might add UConn first and play at 15 schools for a while, unless they thought ECU was a prize that the SEC was about to snatch. No way the ACC adds a 5th school in North Carolina.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Upon consideration I don't think it's out of the question that the SEC might be attracted to ECU. They fit the SEC profile well. The SEC is not hung up on academic prestige. Also, tied at the hip to ESPN as they are, they may be forbidden from raiding the ACC. They may see ECU as their only opportunity to get into Carolina.

Reaction Score
I think that the BIG is primarily interested in flagship schools for expansion purposes. I realize that the states of Michigan, Indiana and Illinois have secondary flagship schools in the BIG but I don't foresee that happening in the future.

Reaction Score
While I believe UConn would be great addition to the Big Ten, I don't think ECU would be a good fit. They do not fit the profile of the types of schools in the Big Ten. Even though it may not be a move that would smack of desperation, I don't think it serves the Big Ten for the long term to make an addition to simply get ACC's goat. Yes, the ACC and some of their school's fans did get overly and obsessively irrational when Maryland left, but it was a move that the Big Ten and Maryland thought was best for the long term.

If the Big Ten is waiting for a partner for UConn, they should consider schools like Virginia, VT, UNC, Kansas, or Missouri, which are better fits for the Big Ten. Unfortunately, it appears these schools are either happy with their current conferences and/or locked into GORs. Perhaps if the rules change regarding CCGs, the Big Ten could add UConn sooner, rather than later, to avoid losing them to the ACC.

Reaction Score
I sorty get it ;), but I don't think B1G would ever give a precious remaining slot to a "project" school. There are just too many things about it that aren't B1G-like. I can't see schools like Pitt having been passed over only to make an offer to ECU.

Seaaaa MFing Blue! How you doing? I'll check out your website soon enough.

Yeah, I know I'm being radical.

I just find the academic thing too pretentious at this point. I think schools, esp of BIG caliber, current membership, do know how to safeguard their academic visions - stay the course.

Athletic conference membership needs to be finally cut down to the size it really is: 90 % athletics, despite perception.

NC adds a huge state that the BIG needs for recruiting, various sports - the media & economic benefits are the easy part. ECU to the BIG would stir the pot & I'm actually more certain it would boon than bust. The overlap with the ACC is pretty significant, but all the Northern expats in NC may find an ECU BIG membership a cultural tie despite being an alum of some NC ACC school. Heck, it might even shift some of that Northern application pool that often ends up at UNC, Duke, WF, or even NC St.

The academic snobs would recover.

Reaction Score
While I believe UConn would be great addition to the Big Ten, I don't think ECU would be a good fit. They do not fit the profile of the types of schools in the Big Ten. Even though it may not be a move that would smack of desperation, I don't think it serves the Big Ten for the long term to make an addition to simply get ACC's goat. Yes, the ACC and some of their school's fans did get overly and obsessively irrational when Maryland left, but it was a move that the Big Ten and Maryland thought was best for the long term.

If the Big Ten is waiting for a partner for UConn, they should consider schools like Virginia, VT, UNC, Kansas, or Missouri, which are better fits for the Big Ten. Unfortunately, it appears these schools are either happy with their current conferences and/or locked into GORs. Perhaps if the rules change regarding CCGs, the Big Ten could add UConn sooner, rather than later, to avoid losing them to the ACC.

My long-standing expansion choices, esp if 18 is the end game have been KU, UConn, Tx and OK. That's the best basketball conference and easily second best for football - it's the end of all expansion for the BIG.

Other hand, always thinking creatively and radically.

What I'd really like to prep football improve in the BIG footprint. It's a cultural & economic shift that could produce fruits within a decade, if the will and investments are there. The population base is here. What you can't do outdoors due to weather can be done inside - money, money, money. I see plenty of year-round hockey facilities in Minnesota. Do we privatize prep football? Why not? It could be a better overall approach, especially with safety and health risks - maybe they can teach kids at a young age to be better human beings in general - no off field issues. Imagine a system in place where the best high school football teams in the BIG footprint play each other in the fall, do spring and summer camps, maybe even mini-leagues the rest of the year. The Southeast and Tx have been doing this for years and Ohio is doing it more and more - they just don't have enough partners within the BIG footprint.

pj

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech to a major conference would have seemed just as outlandish 15 years ago as ECU today. Just as VPI's profile was raised in the Big East and ACC, ECU's would get raised if it joined a major conference. It's already shown it can field an excellent football team.

But, there are only two possible bidders for it, B1G and SEC, and both have a very high hurdle to get over in terms of ability to deliver dollars. It would be hard for ECU to justify itself in dollar terms, as a #5 school in its own state, and far from population centers.

Really, only a large alumni base and the cable subscriber model, plus a dearth of alternatives if the ACC holds, gives ECU a chance.

Reaction Score
Upon consideration I don't think it's out of the question that the SEC might be attracted to ECU. They fit the SEC profile well. The SEC is not hung up on academic prestige. Also, tied at the hip to ESPN as they are, they may be forbidden from raiding the ACC. They may see ECU as their only opportunity to get into Carolina.

I agree with this. Their best chance at a P5 invite will be either The SEC or Big 12. The ACC does not need another Carolina School, and The presidents of The B1G would turn their noses up at The Pirates. If ECU remains competitive athletically, potentially stringing together a run of titles in The AAC, they might catch the eye of SEC Decision Makers. Slap an SEC Logo on their uniforms and suddenly they are a VERY attractive option for southern recruits.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech to a major conference would have seemed just as outlandish 15 years ago as ECU today. Just as VPI's profile was raised in the Big East and ACC, ECU's would get raised if it joined a major conference. It's already shown it can field an excellent football team.

But, there are only two possible bidders for it, B1G and SEC, and both have a very high hurdle to get over in terms of ability to deliver dollars. It would be hard for ECU to justify itself in dollar terms, as a #5 school in its own state, and far from population centers.

Really, only a large alumni base and the cable subscriber model, plus a dearth of alternatives if the ACC holds, gives ECU a chance.

I agree and definitely mentioned "overlap" above. But Greenville is just a little over an hour away from R-D-CH - so its not in the sticks. They are due east on 64-264. It's not far from Fayetteville or Hampton Roads metro as well (1 hour and 2 hours), the latter being a larger metro than R-D-CH. Greenville has doubled its population since 1990 to around 90 thousand. It has the ideal isolation for a college town at this point, but getting bigger.

Reaction Score
Correction on thread title: "Wacky" please drop "Sorty of" - "Sorty" is some made up word that came out of my toddler imagination. Mods can you change? I can't seem to figure it out.

Yes, yes, I know ECU is way down the totem pole in terms of academics, especially in relation to all of the overstated BIG requirements. But on a personal level, pragmatism aside, not a fan of academic metrics and elitism.

Greenville has been booming for decades & ECU is a decent-sized public school, far enough out of the Tobacco Road shadow.

UConn, as you all know is a no-brainer for me in the BIG. Basketball and other sports do matter and UConn is clearly climbing the world of research.

Even back in the early 90s when I lived just an hour south of Greenville, ECU was the best football program in NC no one outside of this state heard of - it's a great atmosphere & widely successful in terms of culture-fanbase. It's an excellent climate for football, literally - gorgeous weather, even late fall.

I think ECU and UConn would be a huge slap in the face to the ACC. I'm willing to bet the SEC has at least considered ECU - not to sure on the BIG.

If the BIG did, big if here, add ECU - Delany won't be as much a villain to UNC faithful as a UNC to BIG move.

The ECU faithful would also welcome a BIG move, and by overwhelming majority.

Loud and clear on the academics arguments - no need to explain the obvious. But anyone slighting their basketball mediocrity, I'd argue a BIG membership is exactly what the doctor ordered to bring elevate this program. It could essentially be advertised as Carolina's blue-collar program, much like football. Moreover, we don't know where the UNC mess stands.

One thing for certain, ECU to the BIG would overshadow Wake Forest and NC State in short time, Duke football as well. But hard to break the stranglehold of Duke-UNC basketball, and once upon a time: NC State.

Hypothetically speaking, if ECU and UConn were in the BIG in the near future - who would be the next two?

I would think one of the Virginia schools would suddenly think, more so than this past expansion cycle: "hmmmmmmm on the BIG", especially VT. ECU and VT have a nice lithely football rivalry, albeit the latter has dominated, don't let last week's score fool you. But most of the games have been close.

VT would have 6 schools within 7 hours or less driving distance: IU, OSU, PSU, Rutgers, MD, & ECU.

ECU, well road trips outside of VT, Maryland, PSU a Rutgers would exceed 8 hours, including UConn. But hey, they are your current conference mates, you'll gauge this membership soon enough.

Have you lost all touch with reality? There is a better chane of big ten inviting me to join than there is ecu.

pj

Reaction Score
Have you lost all touch with reality? There is a better chane of big ten inviting me to join than there is ecu.

The Big Ten will be happy to invite you as long as you're willing to pay the $40k per year out of state tuition. So ECU has a chance.

Reaction Score
ECU is a nice up & coming school but will be passed by UNCC soon. UNCC is the only major public university in what will be a top 20 media & metro region & also is the mist fertile recruiting ground in state.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is zero chance the SEC or Big Ten will ever be interested in Eastern Carolina.

You people should not be allowed on the internet without a note from your parents.

pj

Reaction Score
There is zero chance the SEC or Big Ten will ever be interested in Eastern Carolina.

You people should not be allowed on the internet without a note from your parents.

If I get a note from Mommy, can I propose ECU to the SEC and UNCC to the B1G?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
UConn, ECU, ODU and a #18....

:D

Not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Hmmmm . . . How about UConn, UMass for the NorthEast, Buffalo and Army for NYC market, and ECU and Old Dominion for The Mid Atlantic!

Pos A . . . I mean Pod A - UConn, UMass, Army, Rutgers, Buffalo. That should take care of NYC and The Northeast just like ECU will give NC to The BTN.

Look, I have stated many times that I think UConn would be a great fit for the Big10, especially tomato along with another school. I still do. ECU has a nice streak going for itself. They have been, and look they will be a very competitive team. Just because that's the case doesn't mean they would be a great fit for the Big10.

Many of us Big10 fans have talked about how The ACC changed what they were all about when they admitted UL. I think having an identity is very important, The Big10's identity is wrapped around what they are (or perceive themselves to be): large, highly rated research oriented, flagship or flagship like schools that play sports together. ECU just doesn't fit that mold. If they are going to break away from what they are, it would be with a top, nationally known sports power. Schools on the short list are (not in any order):

Oklahoma - I know they aren't an academic powerhouse, but the are a Carnegie tier one school. The national brand is too great to ignore.

UConn - for reasons I have stated many times

VPI - very good research school and a well known football program.

Other than schools like Kansas, UVA, UNC, and Missouri, that's it. Unless something completely insane happens like merging with the Pac12 like one of the WVU twitters suggested, I think it will be VPI and UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn, ECU, ODU and a #18....

:D

Not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Holy cow Butch, I was thinking of ODU's upside since they're near ground zero of the best Virginia recruits: Hampton Metro. They go FBS next year - Conference USA. But their stadium is tiny.

Btw, ECU critics - they are consistently better than Duke and WF, though Duke is on an upswing. They also have a stadium that is expandable - currently houses 50k. Already better than Northwestern and IU, even with Rutgers, Minnesota and Maryland. More than UConn as well - right?

Reaction Score

Thanks for modifying my post and truly making it "Wacky".

I did get a note from my parents ;)

Reaction Score

Short reply: yes, and some.

Notice the thread title "Wacky" so qualification was in order and duly noted.

Thanks for joining the cuckoo thread.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think ECU's best P5 chance is the B12 with some sort of combination of Cincinnati/UCF/USF/BYU.

UCONN is still a few years from being B1G worthy. Year 2 of the 3-5 Year Plan. The $1.5B passed by the state of CT to expand research is hopefully enough to keep Delany's eyes focused there instead of on our football program. With any luck, B1G basketball will absolutely sahq this season as UCONN wins #5.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think ECU's best P5 chance is the B12 with some sort of combination of Cincinnati/UCF/USF/BYU.

ECU's best chance is an asteroid flattening about 45 other schools including every single competing campus in North Carolina.

Conference-wise, they have hit their high-water mark. No one, but no one, but no one, but the American Conference has any use for the 5th best program in North Carolina. There isn't a single dollar to be gleaned by picking up East Carolina. At the conference meetings, they'll be the ones standing in a corner next to Tulsa saying, "man, can you believe we made it to the big time?!"

So stop, just stop.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
ECU's best chance is an asteroid flattening about 45 other schools including every single competing campus in North Carolina.

Conference-wise, they have hit their high-water mark. No one, but no one, but no one, but the American Conference has any use for the 5th best program in North Carolina. There isn't a single dollar to be gleaned by picking up East Carolina. At the conference meetings, they'll be the ones standing in a corner next to Tulsa saying, "man, can you believe we made it to the big time?!"

So stop, just stop.

I said the B12 was ECU's best chance, not it's going to happen tomorrow chance. I personally don't think the B12 will expand until there is enough anger at their 1-loss conference champion being excluded from the playoff system. That could happen this year. And if it does, Cincinnati and UCF are much more likely. Possibly BYU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom