Voskuhl: Calhoun Still Trying to Determine Whether or Not to Return--- seriously thanks jake | The Boneyard

Voskuhl: Calhoun Still Trying to Determine Whether or Not to Return--- seriously thanks jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If true then by no means is it Jake's fault. I would say 'seriously thanks Jim' (not Jake).

Reaction Score
I was being slightly sarcastic because this is the 273rd report/blog/arrticle on the topic in the last four month

Reaction Score
This power play -- if that's really what's going on here -- is not going to help Calhoun's legacy.

Reaction Score
The more I see from Manuel Ward and Susan Herbst, the less worried I am about Calhoun retiring.

We'll never have another Jimmy C, but we'll still be UConn.

U

UCONNfan1

Would it even make a difference at this point? A player coming back from several years ago to finish his degree, or whatever - the damage is done. Procedures are in place to prevent it from happening again...

Reaction Score
Would it even make a difference at this point? A player coming back from several years ago to finish his degree, or whatever - the damage is done. Procedures are in place to prevent it from happening again...
LMAO

Read it again, slowly.

Reaction Score
I listened to this live earlier and i knew it would kick up some dust. I bet Calhoun is really having a hard time making this decision. With no NCAA or Big East tournament, its probably hard even for him to stay motivated. Another point i wanted to make was if Calhoun wanted to coach for just ONE more year, i think he would have a problem going out after a season like we are about to have. Thats why i think hes seriously considering retirement right now. Some people say its a lock that hes coming back but i would say its 50-50.

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun is ready to retire and this is all about convincing Manuel that Ollie's the guy. If he can do that in the next couple of months, I think he'll make it official.

Reaction Score
When a coach thinks he's bigger than his program, things don't normally work out well. We have clearly reached that point in time here. One can only hope.

Reaction Score
Buislawyer, I don't think that could be further from the truth. Calhoun through actions and words, has proven that he'll put the program above all else. He's spoken of riding it out over these next two years, through the tunnel of APR and into the clear. I think it's a huge stretch to think that Calhoun is delaying his announcement simply because he wants to hand the job off to Ollie. Is struggling with a decision into September what's best for the program? Of course not, but I highly doubt it's because Calhoun is going on an ego trip here trying to get one of his former players the job.

Reaction Score
JC has not made up his mind yet- that much I can tell you. Nothing is written in stone at this point.

Reaction Score
Buislawyer, I don't think that could be further from the truth. Calhoun through actions and words, has proven that he'll put the program above all else. He's spoken of riding it out over these next two years, through the tunnel of APR and into the clear. I think it's a huge stretch to think that Calhoun is delaying his announcement simply because he wants to hand the job off to Ollie. Is struggling with a decision into September what's best for the program? Of course not, but I highly doubt it's because Calhoun is going on an ego trip here trying to get one of his former players the job.

Actually, I think you are closer to the truth than I was. My first sentence was accurate as a general observation. Calhoun has earned my trust until I know (not have heard someone say on a message board but know) that he no longer deserves it. Thank you for the correction.

Reaction Score
Ego trip? No. Being obstinate? Oh yeah. Calhoun has managed to piss off just about everyone (opposing coaches, opposing fans, reporters, refs, athletic directors, academic staff) and now he is trying to piss off the most loyal group he has, the fans. Coach, many of us agree with the new AD. We don't want the program to take the risk of hiring an untested and unproven head coach. If the majority of fans agreed with Calhoun, the AD should concede but the fanbase seems pretty split on this. Right or wrong on Ollie, please back down coach and finish your career by carrying us through this nightmare, which you are partially responsible for.

Reaction Score
Guys you have a great coach, regardless what others might think, but Jim has had some health issues in the past few years. He is the type of man who I believe, if he doesn't feel his health will continue to allow him to be at his best will step down. I'm sure whatever he decides it will be in the best interests of UCONN. Personally if there is one team I want in the ACC its UCONN.

Reaction Score
JC thinks of JC first and this is just another example. If he cared about UCONN and we fans he wouldn't be dragging out this drama.

Reaction Score
JC thinks of JC first and this is just another example. If he cared about UCONN and we fans he wouldn't be dragging out this drama.

It could be very complicated with so many issues. Health and family always is in front of vocation. He owes the fans little or nothing, but his family and players/staff much more. UConn coaching is a job, not much different than our own, he just happens to love where he works and what he does. Let him figure it out, its not cut and dry. Right now all we fans can do is complain, bitch/moan, speculate but in the end hopefully support his decision. We (myself included) are the selfish and insecure ones, not Coach.

Coach is in a tough spot right now, and under a lot of pressure and 'noise'. Not a good place for a man his age.

Reaction Score
It could be very complicated with so many issues. Health and family always is in front of vocation. He owes the fans little or nothing, but his family and players/staff much more. UConn coaching is a job, not much different than our own, he just happens to love where he works and what he does. Let him figure it out, its not cut and dry. Right now all we fans can do is complain, bitch/moan, speculate but in the end hopefully support his decision. We (myself included) are the selfish and insecure ones, not Coach.

Coach is in a tough spot right now, and under a lot of pressure and 'noise'. Not a good place for a man his age.
It appears to me he is in a tough spot by his own doing. He totally disregarded the NCAA grade requirements. He then flaunted his position provoking the NCAA to stick to their guns. I think what the NCAA did is unfair because it penalizes current BB players for earlier players actions, but JC's approach to the problem sure didn't help things.

Also, no matter how great my performance, my boss wouldn't let me string him along before I gave him a decision on my future employment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom