Virginia's WBB Program at a CrossRoad. | The Boneyard

Virginia's WBB Program at a CrossRoad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think Boyle is a good coach - followed her at Cal. Don't know what the problem is at Virginia, although I doubt the specific appeal of UVA in the DC area in the abstract. Sort of like the obstacle I assume Geno faced at UConn when he first arrived in selling Storrs. Charlottesville is a nice place and historic, but it ain't DC, and UVA's WBB success is so far in history that it is irrelevant to today's players.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I think Boyle is a good coach - followed her at Cal. Don't know what the problem is at Virginia, although I doubt the specific appeal of UVA in the DC area in the abstract. Sort of like the obstacle I assume Geno faced at UConn when he first arrived in selling Storrs. Charlottesville is a nice place and historic, but it ain't DC, and UVA's WBB success is so far in history that it is irrelevant to today's players.

She may be a very nice person, but. . . her record there speaks for itself and it isn't pretty

Reaction Score
The doom and gloom by the article writer is a bit much for me. Coach Boyle is going into her 5th year at UVA. Her overall record at UVA is pretty decent. Her ACC record is not pretty but decent. I mean she is above .500 in ACC play. By the writers logic, North Carolina women's basketball program is at a crossroads under Sylvia Hatchell.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UVA does have a beautiful campus in the same way Duke does and while not Duke reputation wise it is pretty highly ranked academically. So it should be appealing to a lot of recruits.

But - Coaches can be very 'regional' in appeal - GG at Duke - great recruiter, GG at TX was just a culture clash. It is the way coaches interact within the university, the community, and with the regional AAU/HS power brokers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UVa has gotten some talent from the DC area, including Monica Wright. Mikayla Venson just had a good first year there. But Jasmine Thomas, Mo Currie, and Wanisha Smith went to Duke. Kaili McLaren and De'Janae Boykin went to UConn. Anna Wilson is going to Stanford. Lindsay Allen went to ND. Marissa Coleman went to Maryland. Jonquil Jones went to Clemson and then GW. Other recruits have gone to Georgetown.

Reaction Score
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...b-b948-4bfd14f00600.html#.VSlL9jLo94U.twitter

There's plenty of talent in the Virginia/Wash DC area and Virginia should be upper tier in the ACC.
I was a big fan of Debbie Ryan as I am of Sherri Coale, I've written to both and both have responded in a friendly manner. But as to Doughty's column---The sky isn't falling in Virginia's WBB. Some of the lack of success is: 1. Better competition in the ACC via BE tranfers 2. Normal cycle for those below the top 5 3. New to an institution coach needs a few years to build "their own" program
4 If UVA needs a great coach hire JMU's Kenny Brooks--if you can pry him from his home. The world is full of chicken littles on almost every aspect of life. That's why Uconn fans enjoy a coaching staff that does not buy into "the sky is falling"--they pull up their socks and rebuild next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom