Virginia? Give me a freaking Break | The Boneyard

Virginia? Give me a freaking Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How are they ranked ahead of us. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but there biggest win is over UNC. Easily the most inconsistant team in the country right now, other then that SMU.

What a Joke

Reaction Score
I'm looking at the ESPN power rankings by the way, I know not as import as the AP but still

Reaction Score
How are they ranked ahead of us. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but there biggest win is over UNC. Easily the most inconsistant team in the country right now, other then that SMU.

What a Joke
Didn't we lose to SMU? Have you watched them play?

The computers agree with the rankings..............

http://kenpom.com/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Not saying we should be ranked behind them, but UVA is a real solid squad and there are others whom should make you much more angry like Texas and UMass

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that they're 6-1 in ACC helps a lot. Minus the 2 wtf losses (both away) at green bay and Tennessee, they're other 3 losses are to duke, Wisconsin and vcu

I'm partial, but I Don't have a problem with them being ranked higher mostly due to success in conference (they should have beat duke at Cameron and been 7-0 if not for the lucky bounce on a sulaimon 3)

Reaction Score
The fact that they're 6-1 in ACC helps a lot. Minus the 2 wtf losses (both away) at green bay and Tennessee, they're other 3 losses are to duke, Wisconsin and vcu

I'm partial, but I Don't have a problem with them being ranked higher mostly due to success in conference (they should have beat duke at Cameron and been 7-0 if not for the lucky bounce on a sulaimon 3)

I didn't know their resume, but reading this makes me think that no way should UConn be ranked behind them.

Green Bay and Houston cancel each other out (though Houston is probably a tad better), and so do Stanford and Tennessee.

Additional losses for UConn are SMU and Louisville which are roughly equivalent to losses to VCU and Duke.
Wins over UNC, Florida St. and NC State are like wins over Indiana, Harvard and Maryland.

This is where the big difference comes in:
Virginia has an additional loss to Wisconsin.
I see no Florida or Memphis victories on their resume.

Reaction Score
I didn't know their resume, but reading this makes me think that no way should UConn be ranked behind them.

Green Bay and Houston cancel each other out (though Houston is probably a tad better), and so do Stanford and Tennessee.

Additional losses for UConn are SMU and Louisville which are roughly equivalent to losses to VCU and Duke.
Wins over UNC, Florida St. and NC State are like wins over Indiana, Harvard and Maryland.

Green Bay is 14-3 with a Kenpom rating of 49, Houston is 136. Green Bay's RPI is 54, Houston is 172. There are not equal and there is no way Houston is a tab better. Green Bay has 3 loses, one to Harvard and another to Wisky.

Reaction Score
Green Bay is 14-3 with a Kenpom rating of 49, Houston is 136. Green Bay's RPI is 54, Houston is 172. There are not equal and there is no way Houston is a tab better. Green Bay has 3 loses, one to Harvard and another to Wisky.

Interesting, but not convincing.

Reaction Score
Green Bay is much better than Houston. Add in the AAC vs ACC and all things being equal, which they aren't really, they will always get the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Interesting, but not convincing.
You should not need anymore convincing about Houston and GB, that is clear as night and day.

Where you convinced me about UVA and UConn is not the losses, but the wins. The Florida and Memphis games are the tie breakers. As Bilas says during tourney talk "these teams proved they can lose, so show me who you they can beat"

Reaction Score
Cincinnati is ranked like 15th and their best win is a 44-43 win over Pitt.

But they avoided their BAD losses squeaking by Houston 61-60 and Temple.

We would be ranked if not for that pathetic loss to Houston. Not to mention that incompetent 2nd half vs Stanford. No one to blame but ourselves.

Reaction Score
You should not need anymore convincing about Houston and GB, that is clear as night and day.

Where you convinced me about UVA and UConn is not the losses, but the wins. The Florida and Memphis games are the tie breakers. As Bilas says during tourney talk "these teams proved they can lose, so show me who you they can beat"

RPI does not convince me about the superiority of Green Bay over Houston, but really why would anyone care. It's not like Green Bay is a good team, neither is Houston. The two losses are equal.

Reaction Score
RPI does not convince me about the superiority of Green Bay over Houston, but really why would anyone care. It's not like Green Bay is a good team, neither is Houston. The two losses are equal.
Does KenPom, BPI and/or Sargain convince you? The thing is Green Bay is a pretty decent team, Houston is not. Their loss to Wisky was by 3.

GB will be an 11 seed who can beat a 6. You're just saying GB is not good because of their name. The two loses are not equal by any means or metric.

Reaction Score
Does KenPom, BPI and/or Sargain convince you? The thing is Green Bay is a pretty decent team, Houston is not. Their loss to Wisky was by 3.

GB will be an 11 seed who can beat a 6. You're just saying GB is not good because of their name. The two loses are not equal by any means or metric.

Can't get myself worked up over this. Virginia and UConn shouldn't lose to either and vice versa. I mean, Eastern Michigan at 8-8 is just a few spots behind Green Bay in RPI. I just don't think these measures are all that relevant.

Reaction Score

Virginia's dominance in conference play says as much about the ACC as it does Virginia, IMO. I mean, their OOC resume is extremely ordinary - a loss to Green Bay, a 35 point beat down at the hands of Tennessee, a 38 point effort against Wisconsin, a home loss to a questionable VCU team, and not much in the way of victories to brag about aside from a narrow win over SMU. Suddenly in ACC play - 74-51 over Wake, 76-45 @ N.C. State, double digit wins over UNC and FSU - they're drubbing people. Have they improved? Definitely. But to the point that they leap UConn, with, at least to me, a decidedly less resume? I'm skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom