Very Very OT: Griner in China | The Boneyard

Very Very OT: Griner in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting video on Brittany Griner and Maya (to a lesser extent) playing ball in China. I thought the WNBA was more than what is in terms of salary. Aside from the jokes people make about her (voice, build, etc..), its a good vid on living in a new country for the first time. Especially for one who is not like the rest.

Our own DD will also experience culture shock real soon.

China women's basketball

Reaction Score
Interesting video on Brittany Griner and Maya (to a lesser extent) playing ball in China. I thought the WNBA was more than what is in terms of salary. Aside from the jokes people make about her (voice, build, etc..), its a good vid on living in a new country for the first time. Especially for one who is not like the rest.

Our own DD will also experience culture shock real soon.

China women's basketball

A couple things:
1) for a professional athlete she has a horrible diet.
2) It's not always easy to adapt to a different culture. I hope they do something like this for Mudiay. It will be even tougher for an 18 year old kid to handle the change.

U

UCONNfan1

A couple things:
1) for a professional athlete she has a horrible diet.
2) It's not always easy to adapt to a different culture. I hope they do something like this for Mudiay. It will be even tougher for an 18 year old kid to handle the change.
I thought that too. Donuts, skittles, snickers bars, just crap crap crap. Still, a good story about a kid who took a lot of abuse over the years. I'm happy she's comfortable in her own skin now.

Reaction Score
Isn't the average pay for the WNBA like low 50k or something? Granted they have a wayy shorter season than the men. The women make way more money overseas. If you're brilliant like Maya Moore you could make way more doing something else. You get all excited to be drafted by the WNBA and then you realize your friend just got hired to make the same money answering phones and making appointments at Travelers or something.

U

UCONNfan1

Isn't the average pay for the WNBA like low 50k or something? Granted they have a wayy shorter season than the men. The women make way more money overseas. If you're brilliant like Maya Moore you could make way more doing something else. You get all excited to be drafted by the WNBA and then you realize your friend just got hired to make the same money answering phones and making appointments at Travelers or something.
IIRC Griner made $600,000 in China and $60,000 in the WNBA. So yep - you are spot on...

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
IIRC Griner made $600,000 in China and $60,000 in the WNBA. So yep - you are spot on...

This is a couple years old now but on pages 32-33 it outlines the minimum and maximum salaries for WNBA players. The most a player in the WNBA could make in 2013 was $105k, or about the same amount LeBron makes for playing one half of 1 NBA game...

http://www.wnbpa.org/storage/WNBA-WNBPA CBA 2008.pdf

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
This is a couple years old now but on pages 32-33 it outlines the minimum and maximum salaries for WNBA players. The most a player in the WNBA could make in 2013 was $105k, or about the same amount LeBron makes for playing one half of 1 NBA game...

http://www.wnbpa.org/storage/WNBA-WNBPA CBA 2008.pdf

Have you ever watched a WNBA game? Are there enough fans in the seats to justify $100K salaries for the players?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So who wins? I'd rather play basketball than answer phones at an insurance company if the pay's the same.

Hell of a lot more free time too. WBNA isn't year round. You could go run camps if you wanted to. Plus, there's small time endorsement deals too.

Reaction Score
Hell of a lot more free time too. WBNA isn't year round. You could go run camps if you wanted to. Plus, there's small time endorsement deals too.

Didn't watch the video yet, so this may be covered...

I remember DT, Sue Bird and others playing in the summer in the WNBA in the spring/summer and in Russia over the winter.

Edit: Yes, splitting time was covered...

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's a difficult task for anyone, but I give her credit. It looked like she adjusted as the season went on, and also embraced the fans.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the video yet, so this may be covered...

I remember DT, Sue Bird and others playing in the summer in the WNBA in the spring/summer and in Russia over the winter.

Edit: Yes, splitting time was covered...

Oh absolutely. That's where they make their money. DT and Bird and crew have made several million over their overseas careers.

I was simply commenting on making $50k for a summer's worth of work. Were you not to play overseas. As BigErn says, that beats sitting at a desk 100 time out of 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom