Version of Diaco's Energy Vampire ... | The Boneyard

Version of Diaco's Energy Vampire ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
from an article:

When a player under Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun is injured he wears a red jersey and does not participate in practice. In fact, he's not generally in the same vicinity as the team practices as injured players often rehab in separate facilities. During a scrimmage at Falcon Stadium on Friday, those in red sat in the stands instead of standing close enough to hear instructions from coaches. Any coach would want to weed out guys who search for aches to prevent them from working with the team, but there might be value in allowing a key player who suffers a legitimate injury to continue to learn from watching teammates up close and gaining instruction. But that's not how it's done at the academy.

"They go to meetings," Calhoun said. "I just think you either add to the chemistry or take from the chemistry.

There's no in between. If you're a red jersey, I just don't want anybody sucking the life out of everybody else who is working. Who is able to go out there even if they have an itch somewhere?"

I hear you ... but I do think this is getting to the HARSH stage. "Sucking the life" when you are legitimately injured.

Reaction Score
Head "Frakking"; few do it better than the military, followed closely by atheletic coaches. Interestingly, at the servcie academies, you have kids who are generally more intelligent and motivated than at other academic institutions. Having been a part of military and atheletics, understandin why a coach feel he need to do as above is beyond me. There are way too many psychology wannabes in the world frakking with kids heads, frakking them for life.

Oh well, kill or be killed, win or be fired......

Reaction Score
Ridiculous IMO. This coaching philosophy is going to result in some kid being seriously injured or worse. While I'm sure every coach in America has methods for weeding out individuals who lack physical or mental strength, this philosophy goes too far.

Cadets are among the fittest kids both physically and mentally that you will find anywhere in America. These kids aren't primadonnas. If they are standing on the sidelines, and not participating in practice, odds are they are legit hurt. All this philosophy is going to accomplish is players hiding serious injuries like concussions, out of fear of being perceived as soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom