Verducci gets an "A" | The Boneyard

Verducci gets an "A"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Verducci, IMHO, won the game for us with his play calling. Outside of the 3rd and long, run call, deep in our territory, I thought he called a great game.

After a flat 2nd quarter we come out to start the 2nd half with Newsome in the slot and the left side of the line stacked, with a formation I had not seen the whole game.

The jet sweep nets 4 and then they run the same formation and this time fake it to Newsome and the throw to Myers (maybe got by his guy because the defender bit on the fake to Newsome due to the previous play) gets us a long gainer to set up Johnson's TD.

Then the drive with 8 minutes to go where they pass the ball all the way down the field to score on Newesome's electric catch and run. If anyone on this board thought anything but "They'll probably try and run out the clock with a run, run, pass offense" I'd say your a genius or you're lying.

A breath of fresh air this Verducci guy is.

Reaction Score
It looked a bit like the UCONN offense we knew when Edsall was here. The play action and the ability of Sherriffs to be effective with his feet were nice. I looked at some of hose 3rd and long run calls as protecting the ball and not possibly giving up a pick 6....which I was ok with.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything here, still some missed assignments on the O line but they really did look much better in this offense.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Overall, I agree... But there were some head scratching series too where it looked like we took the foot off the gas and played to punt... Granted those series we were facing 2nd and long, 3rd and long... But it felt like we didn't even attempt to break something for the first down. I know, the flip side is you take a risk and turn it over...

I just liked seeing us be aggressive and it was a little maddening when we let off. Overall though I do agree.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Overall, I agree... But there were some head scratching series too where it looked like we took the foot off the gas and played to punt... Granted those series we were facing 2nd and long, 3rd and long... But it felt like we didn't even attempt to break something for the first down. I know, the flip side is you take a risk and turn it over...

I just liked seeing us be aggressive and it was a little maddening when we let off. Overall though I do agree.

I think they knew that turnovers could cost the game easier than converting a 3rd and long would win it.

I had no problem with the conservative playing calling but wish we executed better with them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When UConn got the ball right before half and they actually aired it out, I was shocked in a good way.

I think overall we had a very good called game and I'm hopeful it will continue

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In Sherriffs' interview after the game he indicated that he liked what was being called, and hinted that he really liked the stuff in the playbook that hasn't been called yet. It will be fun to watch as more stuff gets on the field.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd give it a B/B+.

A few head scratchers that can cost you against better competition. The whole series of calls when UConn was backed up to the goal line and not using Newsome in the first half are my two biggest gripes.

OLine looked best it has in years. No off-sides and no QB's getting mauled while two linemen are staring at each other. That was big. TE's and RB's still have to get better at pass blocking.

Defense was solid but too many upperclassmen took poor angles and missed tackles. The DT rotation is going to cause havoc all year. Those guys are beasts.

Punting was very good, kicking was decent except for Puyol. He better get better or he'll be watching from the bench the rest of the year.

Overall, this is about as happy as I could be considering what us fans have seens the past five years. This looked like a football team.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree. I was happy with the playcalling. It was great to see our old bread and butter identity, power running, return. RonJon ran in Beast Mode...LOVE the way he finishes runs by literally running over DBs. There is no 1 and 1A on our RB depth chart. It is RonJon and everyone else. OL opened some nice holes and gave Shirreffs enough time to throw too. Playaction was EXCELLENT...particularly on naked bootleg calls. They ran 3 or 4 off the top of my head that seemingly got the entire defense to bite on the fake flow.

The seam to Bloom on the first drive of the second half was a result of competent OC play designing. First play from scrimmage was one of those quick hand-off endarounds to Newsome for a few yards. The very next play was the same design, just flipped the formation, but the play action to Newsome worked and allowed Bloom to sneak down the seam uncovered. Damn, it's been a while since we've seen good play calling and execution.

I think there are a few things to clean up but overall, I'm feeling good about our offense right now.

Reaction Score

it will be fun to see the offense take more risks against a team they are a longshot to beat. Missouri will be a very up and down game I think

Reaction Score
We definitely look better. Way better.. Much much much better..

One thing though, I'm not giving all the credit to Verducci... Balis gets a bunch of credit IMO... We looked fresher... we looked stronger... except for that drive in the 2nd half down near our own goal line (where we seemed to keep trying the run play to the right but it never worked) we seemed to control the LOS up front ... Nice job OL... (just don't overdue it with run plays when we're that deep in our territory on 2nd or 3rd and long )...

Verducci gets a solid B+... Just want to see more as the season goes along....

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Chin said everything I was thinking.

Good start, keep steadily improving.

Reaction Score
Thinking about last night in retrospect: UConn did just enough to get by with a win against an FCS opponent. What makes me think that.
First drive-straight down for a td score. Drive just before halftime-nice 2 minute drill botched by the throw to the wrong receiver which resulted to a pic. Drive to open the 2nd half for the lead, which was never relinquished. Many have stated that Newsome wasn't used enough. I'm thinking that the brain trust didn't want to give away the whole playbook in the first game as a tipoff to future opponents.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
This was the kind of game they needed to build off of. I also agree that not much was shown although we did see some stuff that we have not seen in quite awhile. My takeaway is that the Offense can.....move the ball and have the talent to mix it up. The play action is going to be very very key this year.
Already looking forward to next week.

Reaction Score
Many have stated that Newsome wasn't used enough. I'm thinking that the brain trust didn't want to give away the whole playbook in the first game as a tipoff to future opponents.
Bingo.

Reaction Score
Thinking about last night in retrospect: UConn did just enough to get by with a win against an FCS opponent. What makes me think that.
First drive-straight down for a td score. Drive just before halftime-nice 2 minute drill botched by the throw to the wrong receiver which resulted to a pic. Drive to open the 2nd half for the lead, which was never relinquished. Many have stated that Newsome wasn't used enough. I'm thinking that the brain trust didn't want to give away the whole playbook in the first game as a tipoff to future opponents.

Coach, if you think we are good enough to be toying with Villanova for the majority of the 60 minutes as a single possesion game, by writing "just enough to get by an FCS opponent? You've got much more confidence thsn I.

I do agree they didn't seem to open much of a playbook but yet got a ton of stuff on film to prepare for. The offensive sets with delorenzo on the field late, for example. Delorenzo had a great game. Good to see from a senior that been thru ehat he has. Fumbling to open last season for example.

There was a ton of positive, the old cliche, its never as good as it seems and it's never as bad when you look at the film. We got the win anc that's all that matters. Army up next,a rematch, snd another gsme we're supposed to win.

Reaction Score
Best game called in 3 years. Execution was wanting, but I thought is was well mixed, and aggressive but no overly so.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Only gripe I had was the pass call on 3&1 at the Nova 40 followed by a punt.

I would've fed Johnson twice if I had to.

Definately my biggest gripe of the game. We gained 20 yards of field position vs. likely first down.

Reaction Score
The thing I liked the most was that the offense went from one play to the next without some huge wait for a sideline call. I wouldn't call it up-tempo but from where the offense was the last few years, it was quite refreshing.

Particularly that 4th and 1 at mid field. They just lined up snapped and powered forward. Way to get it done.

Reaction Score
Only gripe I had was the pass call on 3&1 at the Nova 40 followed by a punt.

I would've fed Johnson twice if I had to.

Agree, that left me scratching my head with not running RonJon and because we only netted 20 yards in the exchange on the punt.
That and not calling a TO in the last 35 seconds of first half to get things settled.
Overall though, good play calling, good decision making by BS who protected the ball well, and we looked like a football team.
Balis had these boys ready...... Thought Nova at times looked gassed on D in the 4th qtr.

Reaction Score
Verducci, IMHO, won the game for us with his play calling. Outside of the 3rd and long, run call, deep in our territory, I thought he called a great game.

After a flat 2nd quarter we come out to start the 2nd half with Newsome in the slot and the left side of the line stacked, with a formation I had not seen the whole game.

The jet sweep nets 4 and then they run the same formation and this time fake it to Newsome and the throw to Myers (maybe got by his guy because the defender bit on the fake to Newsome due to the previous play) gets us a long gainer to set up Johnson's TD.

Then the drive with 8 minutes to go where they pass the ball all the way down the field to score on Newesome's electric catch and run. If anyone on this board thought anything but "They'll probably try and run out the clock with a run, run, pass offense" I'd say your a genius or you're lying.

A breath of fresh air this Verducci guy is.

Play action, middle screens and taking advantage of some big and talented tight ends is going to creat lots of offense this year. I thought Shirreffs played intelligently and protected the ball. Offensive line is much improved and will only get better. Verchery did a nice job at Center. Not calling time out just before the interception at the end of the 1st half cost us points. Need to do a better job closing, reminded me of not scoring at the end of the Army game last year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sherrifs' ability to scramble/ run gives the offense and added dimension we haven't had for a long while. Couple that with his accurate passing, the offense is more aggressive.

The OL showed they can pass and run block. Johnson is the between the tackles back. As many have said, Newsome in the open field is a nightmare for defenses.

Add Meyers as a legit tight end, big and fast, and you have a multi-faccetted offense.

And I don't think Verducci has shown us all that is in the play book.

But best of all, there was no panic on the offense. Very calm demeanor, especially on Sherrifs part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom