SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He looked very good when I saw him in Springfield for the Hoophall Classic. Big kid too.

Reaction Score
Hope we got room for him. Top 25 should be our target range now. :rolleyes:
I expect us to get a couple really top tier guys but I still think we will be mostly targeting in that 40-75 range. The biggest thing is we have a certain type of kid we are looking for, no more reaches.

caw

Reaction Score
I expect us to get a couple really top tier guys but I still think we will be mostly targeting in that 40-75 range. The biggest thing is we have a certain type of kid we are looking for, no more reaches.

Agree, though I could care less about rankings. I realize this isn't what you meant but people need to stop caring so much about them. Brimah #250+.

That said Jackson is a goo looking player.

Reaction Score
Seen him play at HoopHall, deadly shooter, but not the best putting the ball on the floor, but hes 6'7 and not thin. He hung around the three point line and rightfully so since i think he hit 7. I'm not sure he likes to bang down low, but i would take him all day.

pj

Reaction Score
He's Deandre Daniels with more girth. But the main thing is, we want players with high character as well as basketball talent. Calhoun in his late years started reaching for the Nate Miles poor-academic types, and the emotionally unstable/entitled types like Alex Oriakhi, in his quest for one last title. I hope KO is always able to get the great character kids because they are so much more fun to watch, and better for the university.

I trust Coach Ollie's judgment. His going after a guy means more to me than rankings.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
He's Deandre Daniels with more girth. But the main thing is, we want players with high character as well as basketball talent. Calhoun in his late years started reaching for the Nate Miles poor-academic types, and the emotionally unstable/entitled types like Alex Oriakhi, in his quest for one last title. I hope KO is always able to get the great character kids because they are so much more fun to watch, and better for the university.
Wow, that is revisionist history and imho a really dumb comment. Alex O wasn't unstable, he wanted what he thought was best for himself as he was beat out for playing time, there were no issue with him before. Miles was a top recruit with many schools after him and no issues until it turns out that an ex-team manger committed recruiting violations and dragged everyone down.

Reaction Score
Miles was a top recruit with many schools after him and no issues until it turns out that an ex-team manger committed recruiting violations and dragged everyone down.

Miles had a tough upbringing, and you want to see things turn out well for such a young man. But he was not without issues. He was arrested for violating a restraining order placed by a young woman who said he was abusive and tried to force her to have sex. He was subsequently expelled by the university after a hearing.

Reaction Score
Wow, that is revisionist history and imho a really dumb comment. Alex O wasn't unstable, he wanted what he thought was best for himself as he was beat out for playing time, there were no issue with him before. Miles was a top recruit with many schools after him and no issues until it turns out that an ex-team manger committed recruiting violations and dragged everyone down.
His overall point is that Calhoun brought in guys with questionable decision making/ character issues, which is true. He could have used better examples though. Quite a few guys have had trouble with the law.

Reaction Score
His overall point is that Calhoun brought in guys with questionable decision making/ character issues, which is true. He could have used better examples though. Quite a few guys have had trouble with the law.

Yeah, like Caron Butler.

I mean, you guys DO realize that is exactly why he brought those guys in, right ? Hoping that he could give them the chance to turn things around, exactly like Caron Butler did. You don't get to point out the questionable recruits without expressly acknowledging the shining example of why you take a chance on guys like that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, like Caron Butler.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. My point is pretty undebatable if you pull up the arrest records. There's been about one player arrested per year since 1990. That's very bad.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. My point is pretty undebatable if you pull up the arrest records. There's been about one player arrested per year since 1990. That's very bad.
And of course you've done the research to say how that statistic compares with other schools, the rest of the campus population, etc. Right ?

Reaction Score

You're right on Alex O but way off on Miles, dude bounced around from school to school and had a terribe up bringing. Alot of schools backed off him because of his background and eligibilty issues (academic wise).

Reaction Score
Ollie is different than Calhoun. Ollie pushes the guys hard but he isn't so harsh. I firmly believe JC consistently lost recruits that didn't want to play for a hard ass. It isn't for everyone.

KO is much softer. He uses motivational techniques that focus on positive things. Rather than curse you out and sit you down like JC, Ollie will take you out, teach and encourage you and send you right back out there to try what he just taught you. He focuses less on what was done wrong and more on how to do it better.

Kids will love KO's approach. He was born to coach in college. He makes the guys feel good about themselves. That's why you don't see whining from Omar and Facey, They love KO and they know he loves them. Pretty soon other programs are going to be mocking us for all the hugging and kissing going on around here.

Reaction Score
And of course you've done the research to say how that statistic compares with other schools, the rest of the campus population, etc. Right ?
Its possible to recruit players that have higher character than the average college basketball player or college student. If 1/13 college students is arrested each year I would be shocked beyond belief. That would be about 1300 UConn students arrested each year.

Reaction Score
Geez, hope Vance doesn't mind that "his" thread turned into a "no more hoodlums" debate.

It's amazing. Win a national championship on Monday, and this play is annoying again by Thursday.

Reaction Score

I trust Coach Ollie's judgment. His going after a guy means more to me than rankings.

Kevin Ollie offered Brandon Austin last year.

Reaction Score
Ollie is different than Calhoun. Ollie pushes the guys hard but he isn't so harsh. I firmly believe JC consistently lost recruits that didn't want to play for a hard ass. It isn't for everyone.

KO is much softer. He uses motivational techniques that focus on positive things. Rather than curse you out and sit you down like JC, Ollie will take you out, teach and encourage you and send you right back out there to try what he just taught you. He focuses less on what was done wrong and more on how to do it better.
Deandre Daniels comes to mind. Not sure if he would have turned out the way he did if JC had hung in there a few more years.

Reaction Score
Miles had a tough upbringing, and you want to see things turn out well for such a young man. But he was not without issues. He was arrested for violating a restraining order placed by a young woman who said he was abusive and tried to force her to have s e x. He was subsequently expelled by the university after a hearing.

psst... they're talking about recruits, the Miles incident appened after was already on campus. Thanks for telling us the story though, hadnt heard about that.

pj

Reaction Score
Nate Miles attended 6 high schools, took five years to graduate, and was always in academic trouble, that's not the profile of a kid with no issues. Yes, I could have picked other names. The kids who got us in APR trouble, eg Darius Smith. As far as I can tell the only reason UConn brought in pothead Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was because he was buddies with Alex Oriakhi. That's not recruiting from a position of strength when you have to give up two scholarships to get one player. There's no denying that recruiting got tougher for JC as he got older and his health got worse. There were more and more reaches, more and more negative recruiting by other coaches.

Caron Butler was a great Husky but he was a one-off. He was widely recruited by top programs, many coaches knew he was a basically good kid. I have to think the success with Caron made JC a little over-optimistic of the difference he could make in troubled kids' lives, and made him over-willing to reach.

It's all water under the bridge now. I didn't mean it as criticism of Jim Calhoun, but I do think it was time for him to pass the baton, and we're better off with Ollie in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom