UT rolling over Wichita State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UT rolling over Wichita State

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Witchita State is coached by former Lady Vol Jody Adams. She has Bridgette Gordon her teammate at Ternessee as a assistant coach.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to put the cherry on top of this thread... this is the same Wichita team that lost to Eastern Washington 86-58!
Isn't that like losing to Central Bay Valley? Or East Paduka State??!!

Reaction Score
I watched this game and Tennessee has some really good players, what they don't have is a coach. They have a Pat Summitt disciple. Pat is probably the best recruiter and motivator in the history of WCBB, but let's be honest, a lot of her teams looked disjointed on offense, but they just had the best players, who were also the most athletic, so they won.

Tennessee will have a ton of talent next year, but the coaching situation will still be the same. DD in a Tennessee uniform will be very interesting.

Reaction Score
I watched this game and Tennessee has some really good players, what they don't have is a coach. They have a Pat Summitt disciple. Pat is probably the best recruiter and motivator in the history of WCBB, but let's be honest, a lot of her teams looked disjointed on offense, but they just had the best players, who were also the most athletic, so they won.

Tennessee will have a ton of talent next year, but the coaching situation will still be the same. DD in a Tennessee uniform will be very interesting.

There is a guy in Storrs, CT that may have something to say about that. When Pat Summitt was coaching there were only a handful of schools that had good women's basketball programs so recruiting was just picking which of the best players you wanted. It is much much harder to recruit in todays game when there is a greater number of schools involved that have legitimate programs.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another game where Tenn displayed the very same (and I do the word an injustice) offensive scheme that they displayed from game 1. Jam it inside and hope for a rebound after playing some perimeter hot potato. Seriously, I can discern no coaching effort to change anything this team does. 'Course Holly is not the only coach who seems incapable of utilizing the true potential of her players, viz. witness the UNC scoring juggerNOT loss to Oregon State by 15 last night. Interested to see how Tenn fares against Stanford on Sunday.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Where is Wich St in the polls...???
Wichita St is ranked #7 in the College Insider Mid Major poll (thank you DelawareHusky, I think?). Not as high up as Green Bay (#2) (who we beat by 36), or Princeton (#3) or James Madison (#1) who are picking up a few AP votes, but a decent mid-major. But it kind of tells you where TN is in relation to UCONN. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interested to see how Tenn fares against Stanford on Sunday.
Stanford should be able to handle them. Stanford has the bigs to compete on the boards. Without a huge disparity in offensive rebounds, TN basically doesn't have an offense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tennessee will be fine. Ugly game last night, but Tennessee historically has lapses where they'll play down to their opponents level of play if they are playing an inferior team. I think they'll have no problem hanging with Stanford/Kentucky/South Carolina/A&M, etc. Not saying they'll win each game, but I don't think anyone on their schedule will crush UT with the exception of Notre Dame.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Another game where Tenn displayed the very same (and I do the word an injustice) offensive scheme that they displayed from game 1. Jam it inside and hope for a rebound after playing some perimeter hot potato. Seriously, I can discern no coaching effort to change anything this team does. 'Course Holly is not the only coach who seems incapable of utilizing the true potential of her players, viz. witness the UNC scoring juggerNOT loss to Oregon State by 15 last night. Interested to see how Tenn fares against Stanford on Sunday.
In fairness, I watched the Rutgers game and was impressed that Tennessee seemed able to run offense for about 5-10 seconds before devolving into a one on one, jack up shot, pray for O-board offensive scheme. If even a schlub like me can notice that, why can't the coaches? It's not rocket science - even in the NBA they run the same play over and over and over again for Tim Duncan and others (pick and roll), and learning how to set screens, reverse screens, and move without the ball - none of it is rocket science.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In fairness, I watched the Rutgers game and was impressed that Tennessee seemed able to run offense for about 5-10 seconds before devolving into a one on one, jack up shot, pray for O-board offensive scheme. If even a schlub like me can notice that, why can't the coaches? It's not rocket science - even in the NBA they run the same play over and over and over again for Tim Duncan and others (pick and roll), and learning how to set screens, reverse screens, and move without the ball - none of it is rocket science.

Yes, teaching offensive basics is not rocket science. This leads me to believe that Holly is embedded in the Vols' past and has deluded herself into the belief that just trying harder with old methods is all that is necessary. At the half her interviewer pointed out that WS was packing the paint and asked Holly how she'd deal with that. Holly agreed and said her guards had to be willing to shoot from outside to open things up. That was not done and Tenn only won because WS shoot beyond woefully in the first 10 minutes of the second half. The Vol guards shoot only 7 3s and made 1. 3 guards shot 25% on down to 14%.

Reaction Score
... This leads me to believe that Holly is embedded in the Vols' past and has deluded herself into the belief that just trying harder with old methods is all that is necessary. ...

I think this is a valid point. Holly has yet to establish her own coaching style and seems to be relying on the past. WBB has changed and that won't work any more.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The LVs are a very bad team. Ive watched them and they don't know what to do. They look lost. As Ive said over the past few years, the LVs are a very talented team that doesn't play together and has no direction. The talent is there for the LVs to be ranked in the top 10 but this is not a top 20 team. They have the talent but to struggle like they do consistently is a sign of lack of leadership. The LVs need a new coaching staff. Hey they will have some good games where they click however the last 2 games were terrible. The Chatty game was another disaster. This is a team that should lose 9 games this season. Stanford Oregon St TAM and ND will win by double digits and all those games could get very ugly fast. Any team with structure, chemistry and one good player to go to will beat Tenn. Weve been talking about this for quite a few years. Tenn needs to make changes and it starts at the top.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think this is a valid point. Holly has yet to establish her own coaching style and seems to be relying on the past. WBB has changed and that won't work any more.
I I think Holly has established her own style and it is a lack of leadership and control of the team and unfortunately the kids know it.

Reaction Score
Wish I had SEC network, and I know nothing about Witchita State but I do know Tennessee stands around all day on offense at times, so anything can happen if you make it easy on the Shockers D.
I am a TN fan and this is the worst team i have seen in a while. They are so NOT fundamentally sound.. They can potentially win any game and lose any game to anyone. They have no offense.. Nobody can shoot (accept Tucker who Holy has not allowed to play yet).. The coaching is terrible prior to , during, and after games. I found myself cheering for Wichita State.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I'm very pleased with the job Holly Warlick is doing, and hope she continues to do the same for many years to come.

Ssshhhhh! Shame. You're not suppose to tell anyone about this little bit of shadenfreud!!

Reaction Score
There is a guy in Storrs, CT that may have something to say about that. When Pat Summitt was coaching there were only a handful of schools that had good women's basketball programs so recruiting was just picking which of the best players you wanted. It is much much harder to recruit in todays game when there is a greater number of schools involved that have legitimate programs.

Amen! Good point that many don't mention...... There is no question it was easier when there was less competition out there...... and Pat was wonderful, give her the due she deserves...... but the "best recruiter and motivator in the history of WCBB"? She is not close to Geno..... 8 titles in 38 years vs. 9 titles and counting in 29 years...... with stiffer competition...... this is not an anti-Pat comment, just a strong validation that our coach is the best ever..... in WCBB history......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I'm very pleased with the job Holly Warlick is doing, and hope she continues to do the same for many years to come.
1,000 likes if I could!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Holly is not a good strategist, but neither was PHS. Holly ia using the exact strategy(sic) that PHS always used, but without either the overwhelming superiority of players (which era actually ended quite a while back, with a temporary return in the Parker era) AND without PHS's ability to motivate her players to bust their butts ("or you don't want to fly on the same airplane as me"). She just is not scary enough, although I am not sure that PHS at her scariest would be having a lot more success than is Holly, absent a strategy change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom