USN&WR Research Universities -- Global 500 | The Boneyard

USN&WR Research Universities -- Global 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Immediately ahead of us: University of Kentucky, University of Oregon, University of South Carolina, University of Nebraska, Oregon State University, Dartmouth College, Colorado State University, Yeshiva University, Northeastern University, North Carolina State, University of Kansas, University of Georgia, University of New Mexico, U of Cincinnati, Notre Dame, UAB, Florida State, Univ of Tennessee, Miami, Illinois-Chicago, Baylor, Iowa State, University of Utah, Arizona State, Case Western Reserve.

Iowa at #121, Stony Brook at #131, and Case Western Reserve at #137 are the lowest ranked AAU universities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iowa at #121, Stony Brook at #131, and Case Western Reserve at #137 are the lowest ranked AAU universities.
Oregon at 268 is AAU. Kansas at 208. UAB at 182. Miami 169.
Missouri 288, Tulane 358, SUNY - Buffalo 420

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Oregon at 268 is AAU. Kansas at 208. UAB at 182. Miami 169.
Missouri 288, Tulane 358, SUNY - Buffalo 420

I missed Oregon and Kansas (and Iowa State) ahead of us and didn't look behind us for Missouri, Tulane, or Buffalo. UAB and Miami are not AAU.

Reaction Score
I missed Oregon and Kansas (and Iowa State) ahead of us and didn't look behind us for Missouri, Tulane, or Buffalo. UAB and Miami are not AAU.

My eyes are rolling around my head fast as I read these rankings, 1000 RPM. Like Alfalfa from the Lil Rascals on steroids.

Reaction Score
Duke 20
North Carolina 32
Pittsburgh 42
Georgia Tech 61
Virginia 102
Miami 169
FSU 172
NC State 213
Virginia Tech 248
Wake 300
Syracuse 377
BC 390
Louisville 481
Clemson nr

pj

Reaction Score
Louisville 481
Clemson nr

Heh. Louisville beat Clemson due to its superior basketball classes.

My eyes are rolling around my head fast as I read these rankings, 1000 RPM. Like Alfalfa from the Lil Rascals on steroids.

It is an insane group of ratings. They must be hoping to make money out of it somehow. Probably from the international universities.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a graph. Harvard = 100. MIT at #2 = 88.9. Helsinki at #100 = 56.6.
UCONN at 272 = 41.2.
Strathclyde at 496 = 27.5.

pj

Reaction Score
41% of Harvard is pretty good.

Reaction Score
For all the "AAU is imminent" folks on the BY this paints a picture that UConn attaining AAU membership is unlikely.

Yes, there are schools on the list behind us that are AAU members but the reality is that these schools are already in, they are not being reviewed for membership today. As AAU member schools continue to seek every research dollar available to keep for themselves it is likely that the schools ranked below UConn are more likely to be booted from the AAU than it is for schools ranked in the high 200s to be added.

Look at the B1G schools that are members. 11 of them are ranked in the top 100 with the other 2 AAU schools ranked in the top 125. We all know the deal with Nebraska being booted but they are still ranked 20 spots ahead of us.

If AAU membership is a B1G requirement GOING FORWARD, which seems to be the prevailing thought, then we are never receiving an invite

Reaction Score
Are global rankings more important than other rankings?
What other rankings are there?

Reaction Score
For all the "AAU is imminent" folks on the BY this paints a picture that UConn attaining AAU membership is unlikely.

Yes, there are schools on the list behind us that are AAU members but the reality is that these schools are already in, they are not being reviewed for membership today. As AAU member schools continue to seek every research dollar available to keep for themselves it is likely that the schools ranked below UConn are more likely to be booted from the AAU than it is for schools ranked in the high 200s to be added.

Look at the B1G schools that are members. 11 of them are ranked in the top 100 with the other 2 AAU schools ranked in the top 125. We all know the deal with Nebraska being booted but they are still ranked 20 spots ahead of us.

If AAU membership is a B1G requirement GOING FORWARD, which seems to be the prevailing thought, then we are never receiving an invite

I don't think the answer is that clear. The president of the AAU has said state funding for research universities should be explored and used CT as an example. You go where the money is...

Reaction Score

You realize the rankings are a joke, right?

Reaction Score
Universal rankings are the most important. If you can't crack the universal ratings, then galactic rankings are next best. Then global rankings.

The problem with this thinking is that the universal rankings are constantly expanding. The AAU is more interested in contraction.

Reaction Score
The problem with this thinking is that the universal rankings are constantly expanding. The AAU is more interested in contraction.

Except that people on the BY stand up & shout about how UConn is a top 20 public institution per USNWR that is left out of the P5. You can't have it both ways. Either the rankings carry some weight or they are meaningless.

My point was exactly what you said. It is more likely that schools get broomed from the AAU then it is likely that schools get added.

IF AAU membership is a B1G requirement going forward, and 13 of the 14 current schools in the conference are a member, the likelihood of the B1G making an exception for UConn is probably not happening

Reaction Score
The AAU website stresses quality but is quantity a big factor, such as total dollars? It seems to be. If it's strictly about quality, I don't see why UCONN would not receive an invite. If it includes quantity, then UCONN is handicapped by its location in the Northeast.

Breadth. https://www.aau.edu/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10972

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except that people on the BY stand up & shout about how UConn is a top 20 public institution per USNWR that is left out of the P5. You can't have it both ways. Either the rankings carry some weight or they are meaningless.

My point was exactly what you said. It is more likely that schools get broomed from the AAU then it is likely that schools get added.

IF AAU membership is a B1G requirement going forward, and 13 of the 14 current schools in the conference are a member, the likelihood of the B1G making an exception for UConn is probably not happening

First, both of the USNWR rankings are flawed. Deeply flawed. Most people know that. But, even given that, the world rankings are exponentially worse. They are ridiculously bad. As for some of the schools being whisked away from the AAU, it will happen to schools that are ranked #50 on the World list before it happens to a school like UB, which is in the 400s. Why? Because there are schools doing $50m of research in the top tier, while UB does $400m+ of research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom