USMNT 2018 - who will the back 4 be? | The Boneyard

USMNT 2018 - who will the back 4 be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we will see an improvement over the next 4 years when it comes to defending. Aside from stellar goalkeeping by Howard, the back line really did a better than expected (better than I expected) job in Brazil. Giving up 4 goals in regular time, over 4 games (then the 2 in extra time v Belgium), and that was against some very good attacking teams. So who will be the backline protecting Guzan? Below is what I came up with, who am I missing, or what can you tell me about the guys listed?

Guys we should expect returning from the 2014 roster are Besler, Brooks, Chandler, Gonzalez, Johnson, Yedlin, and possibly Cameron. Some up and coming names to look out for are Shane O'Neill, and Will Packwood, and a few teenagers. Who am I missing, whou should not be on this list?

Fabian Johnson - was a regular with Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga, now joining Borussia Moenchengladbach. He's 27 years old.

DeAndre Yedlin - 21 year old who burst onto the international scene in Brazil. Brings great pace, and attack minded. Did leave the back exposed on some runs, but will develop with time playing in Seattle, and eventually Roma in the next year or so.

Matt Besler - will be 31 in 2018, played a lot of minutes in Brazil. Some good moments, some not so good moments. He's sticking w/ Sproting KC, passing on potential opportunities to play overseas. Could be a good experienced backup in 4 years.

John Brooks - 21 years old, and made a great splash scoring a game winner v. Ghana. Plays for Hertha BSC in the Bundesliga, and is poised to keep developing. At 6'4" he has a presence in the middle.

Omar Gonzalez - 26 year old, playing for LA. He's 6'5" and ended up starting against Germany and Belgium.

Will Packwood - 21 year old playing for Birmingham City in League Championship. At 6'3" could be good in the air, and hope to see him develop over the next 2 years to get serious run against better level of competition.

Shane O'Neill - 20 year old playing for Colorado. Played for US U20 teams, but still has an option to play for either the US or Ireland Internationally. He's yet to get a call up to the senior USMNT, and has expressed a willingness to play for Ireland if called upon.

And a few of the teenagers coming up:
Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls) 19 years old. He’s 6’3”, practices against Henry and Cahill regularly.
Tommy Redding (youth development team in Chicago) 17 years old, competing to start for the U20 team already. Has interest from German clubs already.
Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas) – 19 years old
Shaquell Moore (USSDA IMG Academy) – 18 years old – Has interest form a number of German clubs.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No way to know, but as a guess:

Johnson, Brooks, Gonzalez, Chandler.

Imaginative, I know.

Reaction Score
Not sure that even in 4 years we'll have a CB better than Besler. He's big, athletic and cerebral enough that we need him
back their organizing things.

Reaction Score
Beasley! In all seriousness, it is doubtful; but again, stranger things have happended.

Reaction Score
I kind of think Yedlin needs a more advanced role as a RM maybe where he can attack and use his speed to run at people (and then improve his technical skill on crosses) and not be on the back four. The rebound goal he gave up to Donovan yesterday in the 18th minute was just embarrassing defending - 10 yards away from your man when the ball goes in due to a total lack of concentration. On the first goal, Yedlin hustles to get back in the play, but Donovan freezes him with a hesitation move off the ball and then blows by. Yedlin stops to draw an offsides trap and doesn't track at all - just gives up on the play and watches the goal from a great view 20 yards out. Can't have this when the stakes are high.

He's young and perhaps he'll smooth out the rough edges in four years time, but he seemed to have great instincts to use his speed as an attacker on the wing in Brazil where he could be extremely valuable drawing defenders out, and he seems to just lack a defender's instincts. This is bad high school stuff last night, and I'm not sure I trust someone who defends like this to keep his concentration for 90 minutes on a WC stage. But we'll see over the next few years if it's just a case of inexperience or if it's an inherent flaw in his ability to focus.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-07-28-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-la-galaxy/recap

Reaction Score
I kind of think Yedlin needs a more advanced role as a RM maybe where he can attack and use his speed to run at people (and then improve his technical skill on crosses) and not be on the back four. The rebound goal he gave up to Donovan yesterday in the 18th minute was just embarrassing defending - 10 yards away from your man when the ball goes in due to a total lack of concentration. On the first goal, Yedlin hustles to get back in the play, but Donovan freezes him with a hesitation move off the ball and then blows by. Yedlin stops to draw an offsides trap and doesn't track at all - just gives up on the play and watches the goal from a great view 20 yards out. Can't have this when the stakes are high.

He's young and perhaps he'll smooth out the rough edges in four years time, but he seemed to have great instincts to use his speed as an attacker on the wing in Brazil where he could be extremely valuable drawing defenders out, and he seems to just lack a defender's instincts. This is bad high school stuff last night, and I'm not sure I trust someone who defends like this to keep his concentration for 90 minutes on a WC stage. But we'll see over the next few years if it's just a case of inexperience or if it's an inherent flaw in his ability to focus.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-07-28-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-la-galaxy/recap

I was thinking the same thing last night. He did totally get toasted by Donovan, but at the same time on other parts of the field his technical prowess and physicality was still there. As a threat on the outside he is as good as anybody else we had. As for his defending, I would be careful to base your opinion on last night. The Sounders are the best team in the league and the whole team had a really bad night.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing last night. He did totally get toasted by Donovan, but at the same time on other parts of the field his technical prowess and physicality was still there. As a threat on the outside he is as good as anybody else we had. As for his defending, I would be careful to base your opinion on last night. The Sounders are the best team in the league and the whole team had a really bad night.

Yeah - there's part of me that doesn't want to read too much into one night, but the lack of instincts/concentration was a bit alarming. If he was just simply beaten 1v1 or was a step late in reacting, that happens and you learn from it. Not doing the basics makes me wonder if his long term potential is further upfield. But he does have a lot off the field distractions too with transfer issues, so maybe his head just wasn't in it.

I don't even give Donovan all that much credit for a big stat night. He had a pretty good game overall I think with good decisions and good possession, but the scoring was more Seattle's poor defending than anything special he did - he got loose in the box and faced no resistance at all.

Reaction Score
Yeah - there's part of me that doesn't want to read too much into one night, but the lack of instincts/concentration was a bit alarming. If he was just simply beaten 1v1 or was a step late in reacting, that happens and you learn from it. Not doing the basics makes me wonder if his long term potential is further upfield. But he does have a lot off the field distractions too with transfer issues, so maybe his head just wasn't in it.

I don't even give Donovan all that much credit for a big stat night. He had a pretty good game overall I think with good decisions and good possession, but the scoring was more Seattle's poor defending than anything special he did - he got loose in the box and faced no resistance at all.

Well, last night really was a battle of the heavy weights!

BmfHle8CQAI91Fb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA