USF WBB | The Boneyard

USF WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I've never started a thread here.

USF WBB had a media day yesterday and the AAC conference media day is coming up in a few days, and thought that this would be a good topic for discussion during the season.

USF has never even been to the final 16. The closest they ever came was last year when they lost by a handfull to Louisville in the round of 32.

The consensus, here in Tampa, is that this will be the best USF WBB in history.

So, how far can they go?

Some USF players believe that they can get to the final 4!

Jeff Odom ‏@ByJeffOdom 23h23 hours ago
Here at #USF hoops media day. @USFWBB's Alisia Jenkins says she believes this team can get to the Final Four.

Aside from bringing back their starting five, and seven of nine of their top scorers, USF is just giddy over freshman Kitija Laska and her three-point ability.

Some other tweets from yesterday:

11:24 AM - 22 Oct 2015 Collin Sherwin ‏@USFCollin 22h22 hours agoI walk into @USFWBB scrimmage, & Kitija Laska comes off a baseline screen for a 3 that's so pure I shed a tear. THEY'RE GONNA BE SO GOOD.
    1. 11:44 AM - 22 Oct 2015
    2. Michael Medlin ‏@mtmedlin1976 22h22 hours ago
    3. @USFCollin @USFWBB she's ridiculous. She hit five in a row at the rec.... And it was smooth as butter.
      • 11:44 AM - 22 Oct 2015 ·

1. 11:37 AM - 22 Oct 2015
    Collin Sherwin ‏@USFCollin 22h22 hours ago
    BREAKING: @USFWBB MAKES EVERYTHING. This is the most ridiculous practice I've ever seen. Holy Mother of God.
As for myself, I expect us to be better and would "settle" for a final 16 appearance. LOL

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
3c45b04ee0923b44ca7186f03d9efa64.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If USF could get and maintain a top 25 ranking, that would not only improve the overall perception of the AAC by outsiders just a bit, but take some of the pressure off of UConn as being the only member of the conference that's ranked.

The teams that make the final 4 are at the top of the mountain, where the air is very thin. Every year there are very good teams that don't make it. This year, there will be some very good teams that won't make the cut.

You've got to be completely healthy (none of your key players injured or sidelined), put points on the board, and be able to make stops consistently, and play mistake free basketball for 40 minutes.

As I've commented before in prior posts, the rest of the member schools should not be concerned about catching and over taking UConn, they must concentrate on catching and passing all of the programs between them, and the program ranked 25th. If you're not in the top 25, there's a reason. Get in the top 25 first, then set your sights on the top five teams.

If you have aspirations of knocking off UConn, you've at least got to be on the same street. The rest of the programs in the AAC aren't even in the neighborhood yet. :oops: Some of those programs have a long way to go.

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that USF makes it to the semi-finals to play Baylor in the preseason NIT. If so, that game will say a lot about how good USF is this year.

2015 Preseason WNIT
Round 1 – Nov. 13
Alabama State at Southern Miss, Noon ET
Tennessee State at Indiana, Noon ET
Siena at St. Bonaventure, 5:30 p.m. ET
Jacksonville at South Florida, 6 p.m. ET
McNeese State at Chattanooga, 6:30 p.m. ET
UT Arlington at Baylor, 7 p.m. ET
Dartmouth at Drexel, 7 p.m. ET
Southern Illinois at DePaul, 8 p.m. ET

Round 2 – Nov. 15-17

Semifinals – Nov. 19

Championship – Nov. 22, 3 pm ET

Consolation – Nov. 20-21

http://www.womensnit.com/bracket.html

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So a very good start to your career as a thread starter!:)
I think most Uconn fans want USF to continue to grow and thrive. You have a good coach and seem to be putting together good teams.
I suspect FF is still in the future, and think your fan base should be happy to get into and maybe win the sweet sixteen - the elite 8 game has been called the toughest game of the six because you are so close to the FF goal that is everyones yardstick for success. The pressure is greater in that game than the semis or the final, and the team you are facing is playing really well to have arrived there too.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We're thinking about making a field trip to the USF game. Flights are pretty reasonable.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
We're thinking about making a field trip to the USF game. Flights are pretty reasonable.

There is a thread on this board by UCONN fans going to The USF game in January. You might want to look at that before ordering tickets, if you wish to get seats near them.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
USF Ia indeed well coached. A game with the "lady Bulls" is never one I anticipate. It started in January 2012. With great seats, I witnessed UConn winning by far less than I thought they could. It's often been similar ever since. Hey, as long as we win and never have Tia splay them four times in a single season, best of luck to them!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USF Ia indeed well coached. A game with the "lady Bulls" is never one I anticipate. It started in January 2012. With great seats, I witnessed UConn winning by far less than I thought they could. It's often been similar ever since. Hey, as long as we win and never have Tia splay them four times in a single season, best of luck to them!
Who is this Tia, and why would she splay them?!!! Now you have me worried! :eek::confused::rolleyes::)

And can you splay someone four times, or are they already dead after the third splaying?:cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Who is this Tia, and why would she splay them?!!! Now you have me worried! :eek::confused::rolleyes::)

And can you splay someone four times, or are they already dead after the third splaying?:cool:
ARGH, matey! Suffice it to say I am hating my phone right now...

Well, some great players like Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, brittney Griner, and Skylar Diggins, all were burned badly in a fourth game with the same team in one single season. when UConn played USF three times in increasingly close games, as happened last season, I was not sad to see them go before the regional finals...even if Dayton ended up being a pain in the posterior....

Reaction Score
Playing Baylor in the preseason WNIT (if that happens) will indeed be a stiff test, and
probably more than the Bulls can handle. Other pre conference games that would be
good measures for USF would be St.John's, Penn St., Okla. St., and Miss. St.

In my experience there has usually been a sizable UConn contingent in the Sun Dome,
although mostly UConn fans now living or snow birding in Florida rather than folks coming
down just for the game.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I like Fernandez and the USF team. They come to play and play hard the entire game.

USF could very well be a Top 25 team most of the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've thought that USF was only a couple of top players away from taking up residence in the Top 25 ranked teams. Courtney Williams is a stud; here's hoping your frosh is just as good and can start a parade of terrific players to the Bulls. Fernandez is doing good stuff down there in Tampa.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I've thought that USF was only a couple of top players away from taking up residence in the Top 25 ranked teams. Courtney Williams is a stud; here's hoping your frosh is just as good and can start a parade of terrific players to the Bulls. Fernandez is doing good stuff down there in Tampa.

Thanks, Nan.

I think we have four "good" players who will sign in the early signing period, but I don't think any of them would be considered "top" players.

I believe our frosh was a 5-star Blue Star Europe player and was compared by them as being a "Young Sue Bird." Hopefully, she will live up to her billing.

For 2017, we are being considered by a few top 100 players from Florida. If we can make it to the dance and be ranked again at the end of season, it will show that we aren't just a fluke and that might sway some of them to sign with us.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The competition in that tourney includes Chattanooga and Baylor. IF you can even compete with Baylor, that will be a big step.

In terms of smooth shooting strokes, if you saw our games over the past 4 years, you saw one of the very best in Kaleena "398" Mosqueda-Lewis.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
The competition in that tourney includes Chattanooga and Baylor. IF you can even compete with Baylor, that will be a big step.

In terms of smooth shooting strokes, if you saw our games over the past 4 years, you saw one of the very best in Kaleena "398" Mosqueda-Lewis.

Last year, USF won @Chattanooga. I think we broke their home winning streak of about 40 games.

As for Baylor, if USF gets to play them, IMO, the game will be decided ,either way, by 10 points or less. USF is waiting for this opportunity to make a statement.

Yes, I watched Kaleena paly and she had a sweet stroke.

As for our frosh, Kitija Laska, Coach Fernandez said at the AAC media day that he expects her to be one of the top freshmen in the country. Nice to see he's not putting too much pressure on her already. LOL

Reaction Score

USF WBB had a media day yesterday and the AAC conference media day is coming up in a few days, and thought that this would be a good topic for discussion during the season.

USF has never even been to the final 16. The closest they ever came was last year when they lost by a handfull to Louisville in the round of 32.

The consensus, here in Tampa, is that this will be the best USF WBB in history.

So, how far can they go?

Some USF players believe that they can get to the final 4!

Jeff Odom ‏@ByJeffOdom 23h23 hours ago
Here at #USF hoops media day. @USFWBB's Alisia Jenkins says she believes this team can get to the Final Four.

Aside from bringing back their starting five, and seven of nine of their top scorers, USF is just giddy over freshman Kitija Laska and her three-point ability.

Some other tweets from yesterday:

11:24 AM - 22 Oct 2015 Collin Sherwin ‏@USFCollin 22h22 hours agoI walk into @USFWBB scrimmage, & Kitija Laska comes off a baseline screen for a 3 that's so pure I shed a tear. THEY'RE GONNA BE SO GOOD.
    1. 11:44 AM - 22 Oct 2015
    2. Michael Medlin ‏@mtmedlin1976 22h22 hours ago
    3. @USFCollin @USFWBB she's ridiculous. She hit five in a row at the rec.... And it was smooth as butter.
      • 11:44 AM - 22 Oct 2015 ·

1. 11:37 AM - 22 Oct 2015
    Collin Sherwin ‏@USFCollin 22h22 hours ago
    BREAKING: @USFWBB MAKES EVERYTHING. This is the most ridiculous practice I've ever seen. Holy Mother of God.
As for myself, I expect us to be better and would "settle" for a final 16 appearance. LOL

Glad that you posted this. I've been wanting to make a public plug for Jose Fernandez and the excellent program he's built at USF over the last 15 years. But more than the team's success is the quality of the man: a gentleman, a good sport, an intense and fine coach, a friend of Geno's. Hope, of course, that UConn whips them good (no easy task) this season, but also looking forward to seeing Courtney Williams play some more. She's amazing. Jose has had them in the tourney for 11 of the past 12 years, but final 4 may be a bridge too far.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sounds like a lot of bull . . . for one person to splay! :p

Reaction Score
AAC = All About Champion
Just like the old Big East,, huh? USF or any team that says to the media--heck we ain't goin no where--should spend a month in the penalty box.
I am pleased that their players are touting how good they are and how good the individuals are.
Now if SMU, Tulane,Temple, East Carolina has the same mind set--it could get interesting in the AAC. To succeed first you must believe!!!

Reaction Score
I like Fernandez and the USF team. They come to play and play hard the entire game.

USF could very well be a Top 25 team most of the season.
Courtney William is the realest of the dealest--she plays hard and determined every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom