USC vs. USC Tonight at 7:00 p.m., EST | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USC vs. USC Tonight at 7:00 p.m., EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
How about Staley just saying "you are not a 2, now get out there and play the 4." If she cannot accept that advice from her coach I am not sure how coachable she is.
I can see that point. I haven't been privy to their conversations or been able to watch practice. Maybe Dawn thinks there is an outside chance that if Wilson improves her ball handling and outside shot that she could be an unstoppable 2.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I didn't say it…the AP did

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Dawn Staley wanted a difficult test to start No. 2 South Carolina's season. Southern Cal gave the Gamecocks one they almost couldn't handle.
It was undoubtedly an ugly game, but Southern Cal is hardly a UMass-Lowell or some other hyphenated school. I seem to remember them beating Stanford on the way to winning the Pac-12 Tournament last season. Cynthia Cooper is a pretty good coach, too. I enjoyed watching her coach last night.

Reaction Score
Its always tough to be the Hunted VS the hunter............South Carolina will learn fnight and th will be ready for the next game..........Th bigges difference between UCONN and threst of WCBB is DISIPLINE and we have Geno and theydonot.............Watch all the oth Top 10 teams outside of ND and they all are so immature.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Its always tough to be the Hunted VS the hunter..South Carolina will learn fnight and th will be ready for the next game.....Th bigges difference between UCONN and threst of WCBB is DISIPLINE and we have Geno and theydonot...Watch all the oth Top 10 teams outside of ND and they all are so immature.

Was the English?

Reaction Score
South Carolina does not have the backcourt yet to be a title contender. Guard play is everything in WCBB. Tiff is great but the other guards need to make serious strides this season. Dozier needs to be on the court for them because, outside of Mitchell, she has the best perimeter offensive skills to open up the interior.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's actually a good point. For reference, Gabby Williams actually played some 1 in college, but at 6', and strong and athletic, Geno seems to feel her best position is the 4/3 so he's running her thru the "post".
Not sure that Geno feels her best position is 4/3. It's just that this year, that's where she can best help the team. Be interesting to see what he does with her the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
Thanks Cleo- please note I am not slamming you or any USC fans. I just think you are 1 year away even though you’ll lose Welch and Ibiam. Next year if Wilson is all she is cracked up to be – imo you are a huge threat. But I have some questions/comments.

Yeah, saying that one thinks Wilson will play a little bit at the 2 does not necessarily equate into saying that Wilson SHOULD play at the 2.

Thus it is mind-boggling to me that what you are saying is “Wilson will play a little bit at the 2” or anyone you are quoting – it doesn’t matter. If she DOES play the 2 – it is mind-boggling.

Welch has predominantly played the 4 for most of her career at USC due to USC having little depth in the post. Last season changed all that with the development of Ibiam and addition of Coates. Still, mostly Welch played the 4 while Ibiam and Coates platooned for each other at the 5. Dozier was mostly the 3. There were a few times last season when Coates AND Ibiam were in games along with Welch, and Welch slid to the 3, but those weren't that often. Welch has always been a solid rebounder and body-banger in the paint - she won't shy away from contact - but against opponents with talented 6-3, 6-4 big girls she can struggle due simply to the physical disadvantage. But there's no reason why Staley couldn't slide Welch to 3 and rotate in 6-4 Ibiam, 6-4 Coates, and possibly 6-5 Wilson and 6-4.

Regards to Welch vs Wilson:

By the way, who has a better outside shot- Wilson or Welch? And who do you predict will be able to score more easily in the post- Wilson or Welch? And who do you think can become a better offensive rebounder, Wilson or Welch?

Mitchell played a lot of PG last season when Sessions missed some games with an injury and backup PG Tiffany Davis struggled, and Mitchell ended up doing very well there and led the team in assists. She was off Saturday against SoCal, but I expect her to improve from that in future games.

I only saw a little of your team but it was argued by a USC fan that you can run with UCONN. The little I saw of Mitchell – she is not a pg and if she plays there a lot and USC tries to run I expect UCONN will blow out USC. Years ago Tennessee fans used to spout off about Parker being able to play the pg. Sure he could “play it” but she was a ton more effective as a post.

Roy made a huge contribution with 9 pts from 3-6 shooting - 3-5 from behind the arc - to go with 6 assists and 3 steals.

I get the feeling Roy isn’t a pg. If you don’t play with a natural pg I think you are going to struggle mightily within your offense vs a defense like UCONN. Regardless of Mitchell playing “well” last year as a pg – I can’t see it vs a talented determined top 5 defense with transition high octane offense. Just because USC is big doesn’t mean that the ball can go to a kid 5 feet from the basket. There has to ball movement etc. An un-natural pg against UConn- you certainly have limited your chances.

Reaction Score
This season, A'ja can best help her team at the 3. Welch is a very good and very athletic 4 who plays taller than her 6' height indicates. Next season we'll probably need Wilson to play more 4 to help the team after Welch graduates. Wilson only played a few minutes at the 2 last night. She spent most of the game at the 3 and it's not like our freshmen even played that much, including Wilson.

UCONNCAT said Wilson played the 4 after she was taken from the 2spot. You're saying she was wrong?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
UCONNCAT said Wilson played the 4 after she was taken from the 2spot. You're saying she was wrong?
I don't recall; she started the game at the 2 and when she came back in she moved to forward, but I didn't pay attention to which spot.

Mitchell isn't our point guard and neither is Roy; Sessions is our point guard. Dawn was experimenting with different lineups against Southern Cal so I can say with certainty that we're not going to stick with that starting 5. I think Roy and Cuevas will backup Sessions at PG. I'm very high on Cuevas. Very, very high. Mark my words that she will be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom