USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll - UConn at 19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll - UConn at 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think #19 is out of line.

If you're a voter and you look at our front court, if you don't have questions, you're not paying attention - unless UConn can keep people off the offensive glass, 19 might even be optimistic.

The backcourt is great, the wings are very good - the front court needs to be merely competent for all this to work. If we get 'competent', we'll be all right - if we get better than that, if Nolan or Brimah break out, the sky is the limit.

Have we given up on Facey?

Reaction Score
I agree here 100%. the casual fan may have written us off and others assume we will drift into obscurity - some (Syrapuke ) fans hope we do. Because of sanctions and transfers many didn't pay attention to the year we had last year and the job KO did with a great group of kids. IMO we have some stars on this team who will make national noise..

bottom line is the nation wont be sleeping on Husky nation next March bc we have, solid guard play, leadership (bazz), multiple scoring threats (kromah, DD, Bazz, and OC, boatshow), and a coach ready to make a statement!!

Despite all the conference changes and public sentiment on our future... I have never been more excited.

CANT WAIT!!!!

Leadership (Bazz & Giffey). Multiple scoring threats? Add Giffey +1 with his defensive capabilities.

Ollie said all the right things and handled himself great on media day. KO's in game coaching decisions could be the difference in a big run or the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Based on those rankings, our SOS won't be as sexy as we thought it would be. On the bright side, we get in conference, twice: #3, #13, and #38; out of conference: #8, maybe #24, and #32. So that's 5 attention-grabbing games and maybe 3-4 other top 50 games.

But Washington, whom we might play twice, is out of the top 50. Stanford, who many said could be top 25, is out of the top 50. Maryland, a marquee game to open the season, is out of the top 50. Cincy, supposed to be the 5th best in the AAC, is out of the top 50. For what's it's worth, in both 2012 and 2013 year we had 11 top-50 games, based on RPI; in 2011 we had 14. Having 8 this upcoming year would be a significant reduction.

Given that our new conference won't have the top-to-bottom strength that we're used to seeing, with a lot of top-100 games, if not top-50, I'd like to see these second-tier opponents, especially out-of-conference, pack a little more punch.

Then again, if we go 27-4 they'll have a hard time denying us a really good seed, regardless of SOS.

Reaction Score
Based on those rankings, our SOS won't be as s e xy as we thought it would be. On the bright side, we get in conference, twice: #3, #13, and #38; out of conference: #8, maybe #24, and #32. So that's 5 attention-grabbing games and maybe 3-4 other top 50 games.

But Washington, whom we might play twice, is out of the top 50. Stanford, who many said could be top 25, is out of the top 50. Maryland, a marquee game to open the season, is out of the top 50. Cincy, supposed to be the 5th best in the AAC, is out of the top 50. For what's it's worth, in both 2012 and 2013 year we had 11 top-50 games, based on RPI; in 2011 we had 14. Having 8 this upcoming year would be a significant reduction.

Given that our new conference won't have the top-to-bottom strength that we're used to seeing, with a lot of top-100 games, if not top-50, I'd like to see these second-tier opponents, especially out-of-conference, pack a little more punch.

Then again, if we go 27-4 they'll have a hard time denying us a really good seed, regardless of SOS.

I thought SOS and RPI are determined by record, and not rank. So, everything depends on Maryland and Stanford having good seasons. Cincy is irrelevant since they are an AAC team. The impact there is practically negated since opponents will have near a .500 record on average in conference.

Reaction Score
Based on those rankings, our SOS won't be as s e xy as we thought it would be. On the bright side, we get in conference, twice: #3, #13, and #38; out of conference: #8, maybe #24, and #32. So that's 5 attention-grabbing games and maybe 3-4 other top 50 games.

right on cue...

Reaction Score
The underdog is a compelling story. UConn got badly hurt with CR and the NCAA's questionable actions over the past two seasons. Plus there was the retirement of a HOF coach. In spite of all this UConn has already recruited well this year. Any success this season will seal the ability to recruit in the future and put an end to the discussion of UConn's demise!

Fans are similar everywhere! Cuse fans are hoping UConn fades. Why? Because UConn leapfrogged over them in terms of national notoriety! They would like to jump ahead of UConn and their chances improve if UConn's program became irrelevant! If I were a betting man I would wager Cuse takes the downward spiral to irrelevancy, and not UConn, once their HOF coach leaves.
Once JB leaves you don't see kids wanting to go to Quse so they can learn some good old fashion zone D? Come On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom