US News Global College Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US News Global College Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If UConn football can become the #1 rooting interest of 25% of Connecticut sports fans, we'll be golden.
I don't think my math made much sense. But you know what I mean. Small state with so many pro sports teams...it just doesn't add up demand-wise.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
For what it's worth...#36th Smartest Public U. based on SAT scores.
http://www.businessinsider.com/smartest-public-colleges-in-america-2014-10
There is a link in that article to the US cities with the most desirable people. #2 for most attractive people is PROVIDENCE. Now I have to say, I think Providence is a nice place. I brought my family to the zoo a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. I've gone to a few bars (Olive's and their downtown brewpub come to mind) and had a good time. But I have NEVER even remotely considered Providence as having attractive people.

pj

Reaction Score
There is a link in that article to the US cities with the most desirable people. #2 for most attractive people is PROVIDENCE. Now I have to say, I think Providence is a nice place. I brought my family to the zoo a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. I've gone to a few bars (Olive's and their downtown brewpub come to mind) and had a good time. But I have NEVER even remotely considered Providence as having attractive people.

You're not attracted to Buddy Cianci?

buddy-cianci.jpg

Reaction Score
These particular US News rankings don't carry much weight. The ARWU rankings are really the go-to rankings for overall research strength:

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

That being said, the US News rankings for undergrad and law schools carry a significant amount of weight in the marketplace (whether we like it or not).

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
But I have NEVER even remotely considered Providence as having attractive people.
Yes, and you may have only commented on their aesthetic appearances and not on their unlikeable personalities. Other than maybe Boston m@ssholes, Providence takes the cake in the New England unlikeable personalities category. Third place is not remotely close to #s 1 and 2.

Reaction Score
I just don't see how our fan base will become what the B1G is looking for. There are just too many options in this area pulling at our entertainment dollars. Fans go to UCONN games wearing their red sox or yankees gear. There are just not enough people in this area where UCONN football would be their #1 option rather than #5 after MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL.
Win and they will come.
Connecticut residents will jump on the bandwagon it will make Huskiemamnia over BB pale.
The Yankees and Redsocks are a generational tradition but when all is said and done it's the Boston (Mass.) Redsox and NY Yankees.

Reaction Score
These particular US News rankings don't carry much weight. The ARWU rankings are really the go-to rankings for overall research strength:

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

That being said, the US News rankings for undergrad and law schools carry a significant amount of weight in the marketplace (whether we like it or not).

frankthetank is right.

This list from USN&WR is apples and oranges. What is UConn - Storrs? I think some of these other Universities do include the Medical (like USF) and that means we should have UConn - Farmington in with the other numbers. You just don't know what they are doing here.

Reaction Score
Methodology. They probably count the attached medical school at Cincy but not at UConn. On graduate/research metrics, Rutgers is a quality school. UConn is better for undergrad but Rutgers distinctly better at the research level.
Re: Rutgers...a rare voice of reason. Seriously, why is everybody always taking a shot at Rutgers. It is a fine, first rate school, one of the oldest in the country. Is it a 'NJ' thing? Really, I don't know...I'm from the mid-West.

Reaction Score
Re: Rutgers...a rare voice of reason. Seriously, why is everybody always taking a shot at Rutgers. It is a fine, first rate school, one of the oldest in the country. Is it a 'NJ' thing? Really, I don't know...I'm from the mid-West.

Arrogance & Hubris. This starts with sports & then extrapolates to the academics.

That RU has not won a damn thing. They pump up their chest and their fan base has EARNED our dismissiveness. As a University, I understand where it fits. It has a great location (1 hour from both Philly & NYC) and it has a full vibrant campus. (if you like rough raw urban next to your kid) Our enmity comes from reading one RU fan after another tell us why they are better (Football obviously) ... and the facts just don't support that. We have had a decade of great games with them. We know that they will fail miserably as an athletic department; they just have no urgency to be good. Same Ol' RU.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Thought this was interesting as it focuses on research and reputation. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

#272 University of Connecticut

Other AAC Schools
#200 Cincinnati
#299 South Florida
#304 Houston
#358 Tulane
#381 Temple
#416 Central Florida

NR Navy
NR SMU
NR East Carolina
NR Memphis
NR Tulsa
That they have Houston ranked above Tulane says everything we need to know.

When Navy officially joins, there will be one school in the conference who may be Tulane's academic superior. Houston is happy that there is Memphis and ECU to look down on as they fall below everyone else in the AAC in terms of academics.

Reaction Score
Arrogance & Hubris. This starts with sports & then extrapolates to the academics.

That RU has not won a damn thing. They pump up their chest and their fan base has EARNED our dismissiveness. As a University, I understand where it fits. It has a great location (1 hour from both Philly & NYC) and it has a full vibrant campus. (if you like rough raw urban next to your kid) Our enmity comes from reading one RU fan after another tell us why they are better (Football obviously) ... and the facts just don't support that. We have had a decade of great games with them. We know that they will fail miserably as an athletic department; they just have no urgency to be good. Same Ol' RU.

Academics man...not sports. They're taliking world research, especially on the graduate front. U CONN has the undergrad side well in place, but eau'S Grad Programs Are Pretty Well noted especially in the maths and sciences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom