US News Global College Rankings | The Boneyard

US News Global College Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone know much about South Florida? I thought they were more like Central Florida.

Being behind Cincinnati isn't surprising. I the not-so-far future I would expect UConn to jump ahead many of the schools in the 200's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rutgers at 55? WTF.

pj

Reaction Score
Methodology. They probably count the attached medical school at Cincy but not at UConn. On graduate/research metrics, Rutgers is a quality school. UConn is better for undergrad but Rutgers distinctly better at the research level.

Reaction Score
Methodology. They probably count the attached medical school at Cincy but not at UConn. On graduate/research metrics, Rutgers is a quality school. UConn is better for undergrad but Rutgers distinctly better at the research level.

This. The US News Global rankings are very research focused.

Look at the high ranked US schools and they are primarily AAU/highly ranked research schools.

As has been said ad nauseum here, this an area UConn needs to make a significant leap in order to attain AAU status

Reaction Score
UCONN's ranking and reputation, according to what's in this publication, is RIDICULOUSLY LOW!!!

I'm blown away and have just lost all belief in the USNWR rankings.

Reaction Score

I'm not so sure that an attached medical school matters in these rankings. The University of Maryland Medical School (and Law, Nursing, Social Work, Dental, etc.) is part of UM-Baltimore, not UM-College Park and Maryland is ranked ahead of Rutgers on this list.

Reaction Score
I just can't much stock in a list that doesn't start with Penn, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and MIT. I mean, I'm sure Washington and Michigan are good schools, but better than Yale and Penn? Come on.

Reaction Score
That's the difference between rankings that focus on graduate vs undergraduate levels - Yale and Princeton in particular and well-known for focusing at the undergrad levels and their graduate offerings tend to be fairly limited.

Reaction Score
That's the difference between rankings that focus on graduate vs undergraduate levels - Yale and Princeton in particular and well-known for focusing at the undergrad levels and their graduate offerings tend to be fairly limited.

The rankings did not consider graduate programs.

. . .the Best Global Universities rankings – which focus specifically on schools' academic research and reputation overall and not their separate undergraduate or graduate programs – . . .

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/articles/methodology

Reaction Score
25% of the ranking is comprised of global and regional research reputation, which is derived from an aggregation of the most recent five years of results of the Academic Reputation Survey for the best universities for research. Additionally, other metrics lag even further behind, drawing from years 2008-2012. So, recent strides made by UConn in the areas of research and academia won't be reflected in this ranking for a few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The rankings did not consider graduate programs.

. . .the Best Global Universities rankings – which focus specifically on schools' academic research and reputation overall and not their separate undergraduate or graduate programs – . . .

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/articles/methodology

Eh - graduate level programs and academic research go hand in hand. This is generally the realm of phd s. I can't think of too many prolific undergrad centric research universities.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just can't much stock in a list that doesn't start with Penn, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and MIT. I mean, I'm sure Washington and Michigan are good schools, but better than Yale and Penn? Come on.

This. When Yale is not in the Top 10 of the list of Top Universities, USNWR just told everyone to stop reading the list. I am not an expert on European universities, but a lot of those seemed mis-ordered too.

The main university ranking is all that matters, and that ranking matters a lot.

Reaction Score
I'll worry about this list in terms of CR when Univ. of Toronto or SFITZ (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich) get an invite before UCONN.

Reaction Score
Eh - graduate level programs and academic research go hand in hand. This is generally the realm of phd s. I can't think of too many prolific undergrad centric research universities.

I guess you're entitled to disagree with the characterization provided by the author of the rankings. However, there many exceptional graduate programs that don't focus on research. USNWR has detailed rankings for graduate programs and they don't necessarily correlate with these rankings (below). The rankings are based primarily on research reputation and the output and productivity of the research programs.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools

Reaction Score
I'll worry about this list in terms of CR when Univ. of Toronto or SFITZ (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich) get an invite before UCONN.

Agreed - besides the most widely read and referenced ratings, fair or not, are those in USNWR. There UConn has shown a steady upward trend and has eclipsed many over-priced, second tier private institutions. But as far as CR is concerned; if the academic ratings meant anything to the ACC, would they have taken Louisville? UConn needs to keep improving and draw an invite from the AAU. Then good things will happen.

Reaction Score
Agreed - besides the most widely read and referenced ratings, fair or not, are those in USNWR. There UConn has shown a steady upward trend and has eclipsed many over-priced, second tier private institutions. But as far as CR is concerned; if the academic ratings meant anything to the ACC, would they have taken Louisville? UConn needs to keep improving and draw an invite from the AAU. Then good things will happen.
As soon as that AAU invite comes, the B1G is going to invite Oklahoma (or some other non-AAU). Mark my words. Impossible to hit a moving target.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn has to improve itself in every dimension -- research funding, graduate programs, football, fan base / market penetration.

Like it or not, to be a slam-dunk for realignment we have to get into the top 30-40 schools in the country on most metrics relevant to realignment. It's not enough to match the lower-tier P5 schools like BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Miss State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State, Baylor, TCU. The key weaknesses currently -- AAU (for B1G), football, fan base locally and nationally.

Reaction Score
UConn has to improve itself in every dimension -- research funding, graduate programs, football, fan base / market penetration.

Like it or not, to be a slam-dunk for realignment we have to get into the top 30-40 schools in the country on most metrics relevant to realignment. It's not enough to match the lower-tier P5 schools like BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Miss State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State, Baylor, TCU. The key weaknesses currently -- AAU (for B1G), football, fan base locally and nationally.
I just don't see how our fan base will become what the B1G is looking for. There are just too many options in this area pulling at our entertainment dollars. Fans go to UCONN games wearing their red sox or yankees gear. There are just not enough people in this area where UCONN football would be their #1 option rather than #5 after MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just don't see how our fan base will become what the B1G is looking for. There are just too many options in this area pulling at our entertainment dollars. Fans go to UCONN games wearing their red sox or yankees gear. There are just not enough people in this area where UCONN football would be their #1 option rather than #5 after MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL.
Did you think Rutgers' fan base would? RU has looked remarkably big time since their move to the B1G, of course basketball season will be starting soon...

pj

Reaction Score

UConn basketball became #1 in-state ahead of the Celtics and Knicks. UConn football can be #1 ahead of the Patriots, Jets, and Giants.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball became #1 in-state ahead of the Celtics and Knicks. UConn football can be #1 ahead of the Patriots, Jets, and Giants.
That may be true about becoming #1, but I highly doubt it. Let's say for argument sake you are right. But if you splinter off all the Patriots, Jets, Giants, and throw in Eagles, Steelers, etc. fans, the UCONN fan base still won't have a majority. It could be #1 with maybe only 25% of the total fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom